Cant stand "How It Is"

nicky6

It's decent. Not horrible but not outstanding either. A little too upbeat for it's own good. Vapor Trails Remixed version is much better than the original.

But it is probably one of the least "Rush sounding" songs in their catalog.

And tries too hard to be "catchy".

Edited by savagegrace26

Remove Peacable Kingdom, The Stars Look Down, and How It Is from Vapor Trails and it's a much stronger and cohesive album:

One Little Victory

Ceiling Unlimited

Ghost Rider

Vapor Trail

Secret Touch

Earthshine

Sweet Miracle

Nocturne

Freeze

Out of the Cradle

Yes. F*ck Peacable Kingdom. It's boring and plodding.

And if you don't like Out of the Cradle it's still the best song to close the album out with because of it's upbeat energy and positive lyrics.

• Like 1

I agree with Narpski.

Vapor Trails Remixed is very harsh sounding...I hear that "buzz" he was referring to.

Its constant and makes it un-listenable for me. I guess if you like the album that much you either hear past it, get used to it or pretend it isn't there. I can do none of those things and have tried believe me.....

I agree with Narpski.

Vapor Trails Remixed is very harsh sounding...I hear that "buzz" he was referring to.

Its constant and makes it un-listenable for me. I guess if you like the album that much you either hear past it, get used to it or pretend it isn't there. I can do none of those things and have tried believe me.....

Vapor Trails is ok. But I notice that the more I listen to it the less I like it.

Edited by savagegrace26

Remove Peacable Kingdom, The Stars Look Down, and How It Is from Vapor Trails and it's a much stronger and cohesive album:

One Little Victory

Ceiling Unlimited

Ghost Rider

Vapor Trail

Secret Touch

Earthshine

Sweet Miracle

Nocturne

Freeze

Out of the Cradle

And if you don't like Out of the Cradle it's still the best song to close the album out with because of it's upbeat energy and positive lyrics.

You take out 3 songs and there are still too many in my view. If you are going to keep my attention for more than 40 minutes the music better be epic, produced well and consistently great....

One Little Victory

Ceiling Unlimited

Ghost Rider

Vapor Trail

Secret Touch

Earthshine

Sweet Miracle

Nocturne

Freeze

Out of the Cradle

You take out 3 songs and there are still too many in my view. If you are going to keep my attention for more than 40 minutes the music better be epic, produced well and consistently great....

So take out 2 more...or take out 9 more...I'm not trying to hold your attention.

Edited by savagegrace26

I agree with Narpski.

Vapor Trails is ok. But I notice that the more I listen to it the less I like it.

That has been my experience exactly. I wanted to like it and kept trying and I liked it less and less each time. If I hear a song from it next to something that sounds good it drops even further in my esteem.....

I agree with Narpski.

What does that buzz sound like, I don't think I've ever heard it. However I usually listen to Rush while driving, which hides a lot due to road noise etc.

One Little Victory

Ceiling Unlimited

Ghost Rider

Vapor Trail

Secret Touch

Earthshine

Sweet Miracle

Nocturne

Freeze

Out of the Cradle

So take out 2 more...or take out 9 more...I'm not trying to hold your attention.

I wasn't being critical I was just pointing it out. I guess the same could be said for S & A too.... :)

I agree with Narpski.

That has been my experience exactly. I wanted to like it and kept trying and I liked it less and less each time. If I hear a song from it next to something that sounds good it drops even further in my esteem.....

Earthshine and Vapor Trail are the only two that are great to me. I remember when I first heard the album those are the ones that stood out to me as sounding like Rush songs.

Edited by savagegrace26

I agree with Narpski.

What does that buzz sound like, I don't think I've ever heard it. However I usually listen to Rush while driving, which hides a lot due to road noise etc.

Use headphones. It sounds like your posts.

I agree with Narpski.

To me it sounds like some kind of intentional distortion gone wrong. Guitar maybe... :huh:
  • Like 1

I did a rant against VT. But in short what i said was......it does not let up for a second. I like loud intense music as much as anyone. But i believe music should have peaks and valley's. Some intensity and breathing room. VT doesn't allow breathing room. the remix didn't help. It's a pounding on the ears. for an hour plus, and it's over. It's an abusive assault rather then an enjoyable experience.

Mick

• Like 2

I inexplicably like this one... nothing like the three after it but I'll certainly never skip it! This is one where the remixed production makes it a bit heavier, and certainly much better, then the original, and the added heaviness works strongly in its favor here. All around I give it a rating of "minor guilty pleasure".

PS: it does seem out of place on the album, but that's never really bothered me. I think it works well leading into Vapor Trail at least.

I did a rant against VT. But in short what i said was......it does not let up for a second. I like loud intense music as much as anyone. But i believe music should have peaks and valley's. Some intensity and breathing room. VT doesn't allow breathing room. the remix didn't help. It's a pounding on the ears. for an hour plus, and it's over. It's an abusive assault rather then an enjoyable experience.

Mick

What he said.... :ebert:
  • Like 1

I like How It Is, even though it's quite different than much of their other stuff. I do like the upbeat poppy-ness, sort of a retro-psychedelia thing. Then again, I like the entire VT album. And to all you haters I say :moon:

:D

• Like 5