My departure from Rush

Freeze-Frame

For the past 3 months, I didn't listen to a single song of Rush. After analyzing some of their lyrics, I found out that some songs just dissed my Christian faith (Yes, I'm a bit of a Jesus Freak). Because of it, I just dropped Rush altogether. However, I think I'm coming back. I can't help myself, Rush is too good.

A lot has happened within the 3 months I was gone. I started listening to other bands and trying other things to enjoy. Here's a list:

Sting

Fireflight

Building 429

Fall Out Boy

Although these are great artists, especially FOB with their new album, none could compare to Rush.

Many other things has happened when I stopped listening to Rush. Here's another list:

I started to suck at playing bass

I felt unhappy, bored, and angry all the time

I drifted away from my love of music

I feel kinda bad for leaving Rush in the first place, but I'm gotta stop listening to a few albums, or at least a few songs because of the lyrics that got me away from Rush in the first place. All I can say is that I missed Rush and I'm sorry for leaving you. It was a stupid idea.

Anyway, what are y'all thoughts on this? Have you ever left Rush? Why?

If you don't mind me asking, what are the songs and or albums in question? Edited by Narpet

I've never drifted from them. Them and their music makes me happy. I'd probably get bored without it.
  • Like 2

I get very upset when songs make fun of the easter bunny. Thank the Bunny RUSH never does that whew
  • Like 2

I get very upset when songs make fun of the easter bunny. Thank the Bunny RUSH never does that whew

But didn't you think that the cover of Presto was like some form of bunny-exploitation? And what about the giant inflatable bunnies used on the Presto, RTB, and Counterparts tours? That must've been hard for you to deal with
  • Like 3

But didn't you think that the cover of Presto was like some form of bunny-exploitation? And what about the giant inflatable bunnies used on the Presto, RTB, and Counterparts tours? That must've been hard for you to deal with

All I can say is that I missed Rush and I'm sorry for leaving you. It was a stupid idea.

You never have to apologize for not listening to Rush or any band....for any reason. It's YOUR life, and you do with it as you please. You don't have to explain yourself.

If anyone does give you grief for losing interest in a band, tell 'em to STICK IT..... :ebert:

Have you ever left Rush? Why?

I never stopped buying their albums, but I did grow a little dissatisfied with where their music was going (Power Windows and especially Hold Your Fire). The synth era was wearing on me a bit, but I still loved a few songs from each album.

If anything, I went from super-obsessed Rush fan to a "normal" Rush fan....if that makes any sense..... :D. These days, I'm leaning back towards the obsessed end of the spectrum.... :haz:

• Like 1

Welcome back! :cheers: Just keep in mind that Peart's not attacking you personally, or just skip those songs. There are only a handful of them. Peart has talked about how there is good in each religion, so I don't think he's anti-religion. I feel that that perception is too broad a brushstroke.
  • Like 5

I have sabbaticals from rush all the time, sometimes lasting for months. In the middle of one now to be honest although im giving vt remixed an occasional blast (love the remixed version of OLV in particular cant play it enough)

Apart from that though im mainly goin back to old rocker stuff like the brilliant thin lizzy and the album Animal Magnetism by The Scorpions.

Past hiatuses from rush have taken in Genesis in particular a little bit of Hawkwind, Radiohead,ELO the Beatles and bits of alsorts here & there but yeah, i need extended breaks too, especially when new rush so rare these days.

Wish theyd bang out a cpl tracks in an EP or somethin to keep us going im tired of CA :)

I tend to "drift towards" them when they have something new (cd, dvd, concert in my area), but there are times when their music doesn't get as much devotion from me as other times - simply because there's too much great music out there.

Your point about lyrical messages distancing you is not that all uncommon for some. I've never felt that way with Rush, but I've drifted away from Pink Floyd and Roger Waters before because Waters can be such a grouch at times.

I don't like "angry metal" probably for similar reasons. I'm just not interested in listening to songs about the sewer of life.

Clem

• Like 3

actually those were celebrations with idolic majesty to the Great Bunny who offers chocolate salvation to the world

• Like 1

Being a long time fan I can saw that many times I've drifted from RUSH, but I always go back. I really don't listen to them very much at all now-a-days and haven't for years. The seed was plated, the roots have taken and the trees has grown and will always be there. Sometimes you just have to explore the rest of the forest.
  • Like 1

Rush comes in waves, much like visiting and posting on this board.

Sometimes I surround myself with their music; other times I watch them from the shoreline; and still other times I'm deep inland and the crash of the waves is very faint indeed. Still - I always return to their ocean at some point.

Their music fills a need in me that no other artist can do in entirety - and for that reason alone I always keep them near enough so that when I do drift away, I can grab the tether and pull myself back.

If you don't mind me asking, what are the songs and or albums in question?

I would completely get rid of Snakes & Arrows, but some songs are way too good to get rid of like Far Cry and Bravest Face. I know it's the band's opinions, but I don't feel really comfertable listening to lyrics that go against what I believe. I would be contradicting myself, kinda. I just won't listen to songs like:

Tom Saywer

Roll The Bones

Sweet Miracle

The Stars Looked Down

Armor and Sword

The Way the Wind Blows

Faithless

Malignant Narcissism

BU2B

Much of these songs I haven't really cared to listen to in the first place, and there are many more songs that are much better than these. But I'm happy to be listening to Rush once again. My life really is much better with them.

You lost me at Fall Out Boy

Fall Out Boy is awesome. WTF are you talking about?