My departure from Rush

Freeze-Frame

Hey, Czarcasm, that is not what I thought and or said. I don't want to listen to Tom Sawyer and Sweet Miracle because of ALL of their lyrics, which I deeply tried to interpret and analyze. And sorry if I didn't fully understood MalNar. I didn't know that the music video was made by a fan and not by the music business and Rush themselves. I'm insulted by their lyrics because I don't like it when they say that "Christians have no tolerance of other religions", like they did in Armor and Sword, which is definitely not the case for me. I never left Rush because of the fact they are Atheist, I left them because they had lyrics that I felt insult me and my Christian faith.

And so what if I like other bands like FOB. I also listen to a lot of rap, but I still enjoy the classics.

And Geddy's baselines is what originally inspired me to start playing bass. How in the world could I hate them?

All very good points, man. I never listen to Snakes and Arrows so I was unaware of the Armor and Sword line. Sorry for being a jerk earlier, I'm having a stressful time in my work week right now. Glad to hear you play the bass and that you love Rush! The world always needs more Rush fans. :LOL:

That's not the message of armor and sword. I don't like that song at all (and I'm not a huge fan of S&A), but I've always taken the meaning to be that some religious people use religion to support and help themselves, and some use it to judge and attack others for not believing. I don't see a specific criticism of a specific religion or belief.

I second this. I had to re-read the lyrics over again and simply don't get a sacrilgious vibe. I see it exactly as you described.

If the actual meaning of the song is viewed as offensive, then OP needs to open his eyes to the world, as it is a harsh reality of other worlds beyond our own.

Hey, Czarcasm, that is not what I thought and or said. I don't want to listen to Tom Sawyer and Sweet Miracle because of ALL of their lyrics, which I deeply tried to interpret and analyze. And sorry if I didn't fully understood MalNar. I didn't know that the music video was made by a fan and not by the music business and Rush themselves. I'm insulted by their lyrics because I don't like it when they say that "Christians have no tolerance of other religions", like they did in Armor and Sword, which is definitely not the case for me. I never left Rush because of the fact they are Atheist, I left them because they had lyrics that I felt insult me and my Christian faith.

Anthem's lyrics don't bother you?

Live for yourself—there's no one else

More worth living for

Begging hands and bleeding hearts will

Only cry out for more

It seems to me that these lyrics would be much more insensitive/offensive towards a Christian's point of view...[lyrics stating that oneself IS the most important 'thing', not your fellow man or God/god].

Note: I DO NOT THINK THE LYRICS IN ANTHEM ARE INSENSITIVE OR OFFENSIVE.

Just to be clear: I'm only making a point. I DO NOT THINK THE LYRICS IN ANTHEM ARE INSENSITIVE OR OFFENSIVE.

More worth living for

Only cry out for more

It seems to me that these lyrics would be much more insensitive/offensive towards a Christian's point of view...[lyrics stating that oneself IS the most important 'thing', not your fellow man or God/god].

Just to be clear: I'm only making a point. I DO NOT THINK THE LYRICS IN ANTHEM ARE INSENSITIVE OR OFFENSIVE.

I don't understand why you think the lyrics in Anthem are so insensitive and offensive.

• Like 6

I prefer Peart when he's being metaphorical and allegorical. The moment he started writing in the first person is when things started going downhill. If I was him I would tell Lee to either sing the lyrics as presented or write his own f***ing lyrics...

I often wish I could be a fly on the wall when Geddy argues with Neil about the really bad lyrics that he refuses to sing. :rfl:

Maybe It's Geddy's suggestions that are the problem?! :P

• Like 1

I am a christian but I don't have any problems with Rush's lyrics. I understand Neil's views about religion and even though I don't agree with him, I just chalk it up to "Neil being Neil". Rush have quite a few songs that say "this is human nature, this is how humans think" and I'm like "well Neil, maybe you but not me". I grew up listening to Rush almost my whole life and I've always appreciated Rush's thought provoking and intelligent lyrics, so in my opinion, anytime you listen to someone intellegent speak their mind, you're always gonna get their political and religious views. To me, it's better than listening to the usual run of the mill sex drugs and rock & roll drivel.
  • Like 4

More worth living for

Only cry out for more

I see Anthem as a song of motivation. The lyrics tell you to "Hold your head above the ground and they won't bring you down ". As for that single stanza, I don't see how it ties in with religion. I don't think that the people who have "begging hands" and "bleeding hearts" are actually people in prayer, if that's what you mean. I think it means that you should care about your life sometimes instead of caring about others all the time because all they will do is ask more of you until there is nothing for you to lose.

More worth living for

Only cry out for more

I do. They're the ramblings of a young and relatively inexperienced artist who never had to do anything but that. They're not offensive, per se, but they reek of that adolecent edification of Ayn Rand that most grow out of once they realize the world doesn't revolve around them.

He better not listen to Carnies then ...

:oops:

Why shouldn't I, the lyrics aren't insulting Christians or pointing out Neil's views at all. The lyrics are basically just telling the listener what is happen in the Clockwork Angels story at one point. It's nothing more than story information. As for this stanza.

How I prayed just to get away

To carry me anywhere

Sometimes the angels punish us

By answering our prayers

I believe that this tells the listener about how desperate Owen Hardy is to leave the carnival during the Summer Solstice celebration when he is convicted of being the Anarchist and all the guards are chasing him. This stanza also restates how the people of the Watchmaker believe that they get what they deserve. I know the whole CA story ties in a little with religion, but this song doesn't really have to do with it.

For the past 3 months, I didn't listen to a single song of Rush. After analyzing some of their lyrics, I found out that some songs just dissed my Christian faith (Yes, I'm a bit of a Jesus Freak). Because of it, I just dropped Rush altogether. However, I think I'm coming back. I can't help myself, Rush is too good.

A lot has happened within the 3 months I was gone. I started listening to other bands and trying other things to enjoy. Here's a list:

Sting

Fireflight

Building 429

Fall Out Boy

Although these are great artists, especially FOB with their new album, none could compare to Rush.

Many other things has happened when I stopped listening to Rush. Here's another list:

I started to suck at playing bass

I felt unhappy, bored, and angry all the time

I drifted away from my love of music

I feel kinda bad for leaving Rush in the first place, but I'm gotta stop listening to a few albums, or at least a few songs because of the lyrics that got me away from Rush in the first place. All I can say is that I missed Rush and I'm sorry for leaving you. It was a stupid idea.

Anyway, what are y'all thoughts on this? Have you ever left Rush? Why?

I've been thinking of how to respond to this one because I want to but it's 8:00am and I'm still stuffed from yesterday's Thanksgiving dinner...

You say that Rush disses your Christian faith. How so? Don't you think it just questions faith and belief in general and that those questions are justified?

I saw your list of songs that you won't listen to. This morning I was on the way to work and "The Stars Looked Down" was playing. I love that song. Who hasn't had moments where they feel they are just looking into bleakness, pondering the meaning of things and all they see is the unfathomable expanse of sky in the silence? But otherwise when listening to the song, at least to me personally, it seems more like it's more of an earlier take on saying "in a world where I feel so small..." but instead of "thinking big" he's wondering if he's even relevant in this massive scheme called life.

Anyway,

I don't know what is so offensive about Tom Sawyer. Is it the line "His mind is not for rent, to any God or government"?

• Like 2

Neil's opinions are worth as much as yours, possibly less. He drives his motorcycle around and pays attention to signs and watches American tv largely as an outsider and he forms opinions. Because he gets to write lyrics of rush we listen to them. His opinions are largely based on his own observations which do not include any of us and are based on his own pov. I find many of his opinions tiresome because they are repetitive but I'm not going to let someone I don't know sway me from any personal beliefs I have because he doesn't get it. In a way, allowing him to get to you is a sign of immaturity IMO.
  • Like 2

More worth living for

Only cry out for more

I see Anthem as a song of motivation. The lyrics tell you to "Hold your head above the ground and they won't bring you down ". As for that single stanza, I don't see how it ties in with religion. I don't think that the people who have "begging hands" and "bleeding hearts" are actually people in prayer, if that's what you mean. I think it means that you should care about your life sometimes instead of caring about others all the time because all they will do is ask more of you until there is nothing for you to lose.

What you think I meant is not what I mean. The lyrics I mentioned talk about placing yourself before anyone else. That in itself doesn't seem very Christian-like since God would come first....and shouldn't others come before yourself (in a brotherly Christian pov)?

NEP can write whatever he wants and it's not up to him to worry about offending anyone (unless he sets out to offend someone). The people being offended are the only ones responsible for their actions/reactions.

As for the OP, never "left" Rush but certainly go through periods of not listening.

More worth living for

Only cry out for more

What you think I meant is not what I mean. The lyrics I mentioned talk about placing yourself before anyone else. That in itself doesn't seem very Christian-like since God would come first....and shouldn't others come before yourself (in a brotherly Christian pov)?

I doubt that's not what Neil actually meant. If so, then he's going against basic morality.

You're right, God does come first, but Rush isn't a christian band so I doubt they would mention God in any of their songs. Instead, they say that you are most important, but not in a selfish manner. You should always take care of others, but before that could happen, you need to take care of yourself. If you do put others before yourself, then others will "only cry out for more" from you, meaning that people will use you as a doormat if you don't care of yourself first. That's at least what I think of when I hear the lyrics.

All I know is that if there NEVER was anything called religion, meaning it was never started, never thought of, written about, it was always non-existent, nothing or no one to pray to, no such thing as a prayer, no religion ever - there would be one hell of a lot LESS arguing in this world. Less murders, less wars. Actually, almost NO wars. And, no people knocking on my goddam door wanting me to believe what they believe. And, people wouldn't have to "leave" a band for a while because of the lyrics.

More worth living for

Only cry out for more

I doubt that's not what Neil actually meant. If so, then he's going against basic morality.

You're right, God does come first, but Rush isn't a christian band so I doubt they would mention God in any of their songs. Instead, they say that you are most important, but not in a selfish manner. You should always take care of others, but before that could happen, you need to take care of yourself. If you do put others before yourself, then others will "only cry out for more" from you, meaning that people will use you as a doormat if you don't care of yourself first. That's at least what I think of when I hear the lyrics.

So in Anthem you DON'T think Neil was talking about placing one's own interests above everyone else's? Are you sure?

All I know is that if there NEVER was anything called religion, meaning it was never started, never thought of, written about, it was always non-existent, nothing or no one to pray to, no such thing as a prayer, no religion ever - there would be one hell of a lot LESS arguing in this world. Less murders, less wars. Actually, almost NO wars. And, no people knocking on my goddam door wanting me to believe what they believe. And, people wouldn't have to "leave" a band for a while because of the lyrics.

How many of the wars in the 20th century were started over religion vs other causes. How much of the regicide in the 20th century would have been eliminated? It's always easy to say this but recent history does not bear this out.

Edited by laughedatbytime
  • Like 3

More worth living for

Only cry out for more

Sorry, but the lyrics in this song couldn't be any more a reflection of Randian Objectivism (not to mention the title was taken from one of Rand's works), and this philosophy does emphasize the rights of the individual over the rights of the collective, and is explicitly a selfish ideology. As such, it does go against what Christ preached, in the second Great Commandment in Matthew 22.

Objectivism and Christianity in their purest forms are not compatible.

• Like 3

More worth living for

Only cry out for more

Sorry, but the lyrics in this song couldn't be any more a reflection of Randian Objectivism (not to mention the title was taken from one of Rand's works), and this philosophy does emphasize the rights of the individual over the rights of the collective, and is explicitly a selfish ideology. As such, it does go against what Christ preached, in the second Great Commandment in Matthew 22.

Well, I know they've always told you

Selfishness was wrong

Yet it was for me, not you, I

Came to write this song

I just don't see it. Maybe I should look in to it more deeply.

More worth living for

Only cry out for more

Well, I know they've always told you

Selfishness was wrong

Yet it was for me, not you, I

Came to write this song

I just don't see it. Maybe I should look in to it more deeply.

"Live for yourself -- there's no one else More worth living for"--Anthem

"When Jesus heard this, he said to him, "You still lack one thing. Sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."--Luke 18:22

I'm guessing much of Snakes and Arrows is off the menu

lol

That's just a happy coincidence. The music alone (short of the instrumentals and Far Cry) make it hard to listen to...