My departure from Rush

Freeze-Frame

If you don't mind me asking, what are the songs and or albums in question?

I would completely get rid of Snakes & Arrows, but some songs are way too good to get rid of like Far Cry and Bravest Face. I know it's the band's opinions, but I don't feel really comfertable listening to lyrics that go against what I believe. I would be contradicting myself, kinda. I just won't listen to songs like:

Tom Saywer

Roll The Bones

Sweet Miracle

The Stars Looked Down

Armor and Sword

The Way the Wind Blows

Faithless

Malignant Narcissism

BU2B

Much of these songs I haven't really cared to listen to in the first place, and there are many more songs that are much better than these. But I'm happy to be listening to Rush once again. My life really is much better with them.

You lost me at Fall Out Boy

Fall Out Boy is awesome. WTF are you talking about?

How can an instrumental go against your religious beliefs?

• Like 4

Welcome back! :cheers: Just keep in mind that Peart's not attacking you personally, or just skip those songs. There are only a handful of them. Peart has talked about how there is good in each religion, so I don't think he's anti-religion. I feel that that perception is too broad a brushstroke.

people of all faiths should appreciate "seekers", those who wrestle with reality to find what is true and good. Neil's in that boat IMO. Courageously he shares his life's journey
  • Like 1

I would completely get rid of Snakes & Arrows, but some songs are way too good to get rid of like Far Cry and Bravest Face. I know it's the band's opinions, but I don't feel really comfertable listening to lyrics that go against what I believe. I would be contradicting myself, kinda. I just won't listen to songs like:

Tom Saywer

Roll The Bones

Sweet Miracle

The Stars Looked Down

Armor and Sword

The Way the Wind Blows

Faithless

Malignant Narcissism

BU2B

Much of these songs I haven't really cared to listen to in the first place, and there are many more songs that are much better than these. But I'm happy to be listening to Rush once again. My life really is much better with them.

Something doesn't smell right

• Like 2

Tom Saywer

Roll The Bones

Sweet Miracle

The Stars Looked Down

Armor and Sword

The Way the Wind Blows

Faithless

Malignant Narcissism

BU2B

Maybe he's referring to the fan video. Like you pointed out, the song has no lyrics. The fan video was made after MalNar's release.

What I don't get is Sweet Miracle. Too blasphemous? It all seems pretty innocent to me.

I wasn't walking on water

I was standing on a reef

When the tide came in

Swept beneath the surface

Lost without a trace

No hope at all

No hope at all

Oh - sweet miracle

Oh - sweet miracle of life

I wasn't walking with angels

I was talking to myself

Rising up to the surface

Raging against the night

Starless night

Oh - sweet miracle

Love's sweet miracle of life

Oh salvation

Oh salvation

I wasn't praying for magic

I was hiding in plain sight

Rising up from the surface

To fly into the light

• Like 1

Welcome back! :cheers: Just keep in mind that Peart's not attacking you personally, or just skip those songs. There are only a handful of them. Peart has talked about how there is good in each religion, so I don't think he's anti-religion. I feel that that perception is too broad a brushstroke.

people of all faiths should appreciate "seekers", those who wrestle with reality to find what is true and good. Neil's in that boat IMO. Courageously he shares his life's journey

Sometimes I think he's got a bit of Lennon in his lyrics, the way Peart shares.

• Like 1

Sometimes I think he's got a bit of Lennon in his lyrics, the way Peart shares.

Totally see that. And dare I say John Mellencamp. Their lyrics have a similar yearning.

Tom Saywer

Roll The Bones

Sweet Miracle

The Stars Looked Down

Armor and Sword

The Way the Wind Blows

Faithless

Malignant Narcissism

BU2B

I guess we could look at the bright side of this situation. The best of the Rush catalog is still available to you..... Guess I had better duck before I hit post......... :scared: :whip:
  • Like 1

Tom Saywer

Roll The Bones

Sweet Miracle

The Stars Looked Down

Armor and Sword

The Way the Wind Blows

Faithless

Malignant Narcissism

BU2B

Maybe he's referring to the fan video. Like you pointed out, the song has no lyrics. The fan video was made after MalNar's release.

What I don't get is Sweet Miracle. Too blasphemous? It all seems pretty innocent to me.

I was standing on a reef

When the tide came in

Lost without a trace

No hope at all

No hope at all

Oh - sweet miracle

I was talking to myself

Rising up to the surface

Raging against the night

Starless night

Oh - sweet miracle

Oh salvation

Oh salvation

To fly into the light

It isn't blasphemous, but it is pretty literally talking about relying on one's self over a higher power during strife. Still, seem's a bit tacky to just write it off. Oh well, to each his own.

• Like 1

Tom Saywer

Roll The Bones

Sweet Miracle

The Stars Looked Down

Armor and Sword

The Way the Wind Blows

Faithless

Malignant Narcissism

BU2B

I was standing on a reef

When the tide came in

Lost without a trace

No hope at all

No hope at all

Oh - sweet miracle

I was talking to myself

Rising up to the surface

Raging against the night

Starless night

Oh - sweet miracle

Oh salvation

Oh salvation

To fly into the light

It isn't blasphemous, but it is pretty literally talking about relying on one's self over a higher power during strife. Still, seem's a bit tacky to just write it off. Oh well, to each his own.

You've figured it out! To each their own—now stop the subtle trolling

Well, look at the bright side. Neil did say metaphorically that he's done with arguing about religion in Clockwork Angels or just the book. That's at least how I see it as.

Tom Saywer

Roll The Bones

Sweet Miracle

The Stars Looked Down

Armor and Sword

The Way the Wind Blows

Faithless

Malignant Narcissism

BU2B

Ooo, what's that smell? Turkey? Lerxster presents a shameless hijacking of this thread for a Thanksgiving Rush parody:

Mission

Turn on your oven's fire-

Keep it burning bright

Hold the flame 'til the turkey ignites-

Thanksgiving spirit with a vision Is a meal with a mission

I feel their passionate cooking

Smell the scents

That touch my heart

I gaze at their feverish baking

The secret recipes that set them apart

When I smell the powerful aromas

Their oven has made alive

I wish I had that turkey-

And the trimmings and the sides-

Turkey's fly on dangerous missions

Their breasts and legs on fire

We're focused high on culinary ambitions

Their consumption is our single desire

In the grip of

A nameless drumstick-

A slave to get to that last lick-

A Thanksgiving dream with a vision

Is a meal with a mission...

I watch the oven coils flicker

Bringing light to a lifeless bird

I walk through their beautiful kitchens

And I wish I had their verve

But meals don't need

Over-seasoning

To keep their taste alive

Obsession to have cranberry sauce-

Pride demands it be homemade

It's warm comfort

To those turkey's not being basted

To know how they made it-

How they must be elated

Turkey's lives are not so

Exotic and strange

But they would likely have

Gladly exchanged them

For something a little less hot

Cooked and carved they'd rather be not

They each pay a fabulous price

For our Thanksgiving paradise

While a turkey meal is our mission

It's our dream, not their vision...

• Like 5

I took a break from Rush during the end of the 80s and into the early 90s. I used to be one of those people who couldn't get past the departure of Terry Brown, and the ensuing direction change in their sound. During that break, it allowed my musical taste to mature, and when I came back to Rush, I was able to really appreciate the post Brown era, and my love for Rush only got stronger. I was, for the first time, able to appreciate the fact that they didn't let their sound get stale, and reinventing themselves actually made their music better.

Also, I'm a Christian, and Neal's lyrics have never bothered me. I don't view it as Neal bashing Christianity, but communicating his views on his terms. He's entitled to his views just as I'm entitled to mine. If more people had an attitude like that regarding beliefs, there would probably be a whole lot less fighting in the world.

Edited by ILSnwdog
  • Like 8

Tom Saywer

Roll The Bones

Sweet Miracle

The Stars Looked Down

Armor and Sword

The Way the Wind Blows

Faithless

Malignant Narcissism

BU2B

Ooo, what's that smell? Turkey? Lerxster presents a shameless hijacking of this thread for a Thanksgiving Rush parody:

Mission

Turn on your oven's fire-

Keep it burning bright

Hold the flame 'til the turkey ignites-

Thanksgiving spirit with a vision Is a meal with a mission

I feel their passionate cooking

Smell the scents

That touch my heart

I gaze at their feverish baking

The secret recipes that set them apart

When I smell the powerful aromas

Their oven has made alive

I wish I had that turkey-

And the trimmings and the sides-

Turkey's fly on dangerous missions

Their breasts and legs on fire

We're focused high on culinary ambitions

Their consumption is our single desire

In the grip of

A nameless drumstick-

A slave to get to that last lick-

A Thanksgiving dream with a vision

Is a meal with a mission...

I watch the oven coils flicker

Bringing light to a lifeless bird

I walk through their beautiful kitchens

And I wish I had their verve

But meals don't need

Over-seasoning

To keep their taste alive

Obsession to have cranberry sauce-

Pride demands it be homemade

It's warm comfort

To those turkey's not being basted

To know how they made it-

How they must be elated

Turkey's lives are not so

Exotic and strange

But they would likely have

Gladly exchanged them

For something a little less hot

Cooked and carved they'd rather be not

They each pay a fabulous price

For our Thanksgiving paradise

While a turkey meal is our mission

It's our dream, not their vision...

:goodone: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :ebert: :clap:

I took a break from Rush during the end of the 80s and into the early 90s. I used to be one of those people who couldn't get past the departure of Terry Brown, and the ensuing direction change in their sound. During that break, it allowed my musical taste to mature, and when I came back to Rush, I was able to really appreciate the post Brown era, and my love for Rush only got stronger. I was, for the first time, able to appreciate the fact that they didn't let their sound get stale, and reinventing themselves actually made their music better.

Also, I'm a Christian, and Neal's lyrics have never bothered me. I don't view it as Neal bashing Christianity, but communicating his views on his terms. He's entitled to his views just as I'm entitled to mine. If more people had an attitude like that regarding beliefs, they would probably be a whole lot less fighting in the world.

I mostly agree with this (and followed a similar musical journey). I still found S&A pretty tedious musically (with a couple of notable exceptions) and lyrically, but CA was a return to greatness. Since about 2010, I've reconnected with Rush, and have since gained appreciation for HYF and especially VT. My now 17 year old son, who became a Rush fan and was exposed to their entire catalog at once, was also instrumental in regaining my appreciation for the band.

• Like 1

Malignant Narcissism? Really?

Watch the music video. There's a reason they called the song that.

The fan video was made after MalNar was written and released.

The title comes from the movie Team America: World Police ... Lisa: "Usually a case of malignant narcissism brought on during childhood." That line from the movie is actually in the song.

• Like 1

What Rush thinks about religion or God, individually and collectively, mean nothing to me. When I die, not Geddy or Al or Neil will be standing with me at my judgment. And if it should turn out that they are all right - there is no God - I'll never know.

I'm too old to be influenced by rockers or other personalities. Too old and too close to the end.

• Like 4

Hm, well welcome back to Rush, first of all :)

For myself, I have a diverse collection of music and listen to stuff according to mood (like Yes when I need to mellow out and 'transcend'..or Dead Can Dance is good for that too. NIN when I'm really raging. REM when I'm whimsical, you get the idea).

What is also true is that I go through phases where I listen to an artist a LOT for awhile, then my moods change and I listen to something else for awhile. But bands I come back to the most would defintiely include Rush, Yes, Eddie Vedder (and Pearl Jam), Dire Straits..those are probably the main ones. And Johnny Cash :)

I'm also a Christian and Neil's lyrics don't bother me in the slightest. That can be different for each individual, so that's my opinon. I have mentioned previously in the TRF that I think 'Freewill' for example is sublime and I very much endorse that song. Free will is God's greatest gift to us besides his only Son.

• Like 3

Hey, I can see the anti-religious nature of Rush just in their name. For those old enough to remember the 80's, there was some school teacher who told his students the name was a moniker for Rebels Under Satan's Hand. Wait, are you telling me that isn't true????

Also, I'm a Christian, and Neal's lyrics have never bothered me. I don't view it as Neal bashing Christianity, but communicating his views on his terms. He's entitled to his views just as I'm entitled to mine. If more people had an attitude like that regarding beliefs, there would probably be a whole lot less fighting in the world.

With all due respect, you make it really difficult to not like you posts......... :yes: :)
  • Like 2