What is your favorite Lerxst Solo?

agubrizbassman

I dont think its been mentioned, and maybe Cliche, but Limelight is probably still #1 for me.

Obvious others -

La Villa

Analog Kid

Natural Science

One I always like and thought underrated, Good News First

• Like 1

I've always loved the solo in Time and Motion. I remember someone on the National Midnight Star, so many years ago, remarked that the solo sounded like a wild, caged animal trying to escape. That description has always stuck with me.
  • Like 3

I dont think its been mentioned, and maybe Cliche, but Limelight is probably still #1 for me.

Obvious others -

La Villa

Analog Kid

Natural Science

One I always like and thought underrated, Good News First

Funny thing about Limelight solo that maybe everybody does not know, actually most of his solos. Specifically on Limelight I happen to know that Lerxst laid down 3 separate solos for Limelight. Geddy then mixed those 3 solos together. Alex had to actually re-learn that solo since he didn't actually play it that way. Many of his solos are constructed that way.

That being said, it all comes from Alex and I absolutely love the Limelight solo as well. Just thought the information would be interesting to those who were not aware.

• Like 2

I think Freewill has the best overall solo section - all 3 just go at it.

I really like Alex's live solos in The Weapon from the P/G tour video nd Mission from ASoH. They are very moving emotionally and just sound awesome.

• Like 3

The weapon, Marathon, Limelight, Between the Wheels, LVS. Could go on and on, but those were the first to come to mind. The above posters are correct. He's the member of the band that put's all the emotion in the music. And don't forget the Garden. Classic Alex.
  • Like 1

Look at all these boring answers...

For me:

Turn the Page

Alien Shore

Earthshine

Marathon

Roll the Bones (Live)

Totem

Natural Science

Digital Man

Red Barchetta (The soloing in general is just so good)

Limelight

Leave That Thing Alone

The Main Monkey Business

Force Ten (Live)

Dreamline (Live)

MMMMM all these tasty guitar solos.

Glad to see TMMB on here—Alex has a moment of shred that floors me

Some amazing tone on this one!
  • Like 1

For my money, "La Villa Strangiato" still reigns supreme.

I'm also a big fan of his leadwork throughout "2112." That chord he strikes at 3:05 into "Overture," for example, is absolutely filthy.

As an aside, the "Cinderella Man" solo is underrated. It's a bit short, but it features killer tone, sick wah-wah bends, and a freewheeling structure.

I appreciate this thread. I've been on a huge Rush kick the past couple of weeks, and I've mostly been focusing on Lifeson's playing.

• Like 2

Exit Stage Left.........La Villa Strangiato.

Quite frankly.....it does not get any better than that. It was when I heard that solo I truly knew I wanted to be a guitarist.

Alex has so many dazzling solos.....too many to list but here are some other incredible, legendary moments:

Limelight

Freewill

Red Barchetta

Digital Man

Mission

Between The Wheels

Red Sector A

Kid Gloves

Working Man

Soliloquy (2112)

Ghost of a Chance

Bravado

Marathon

The Analog Kid

Jacobs Ladder

The Trees

Xanadu

Tom Sawyer

The Camera Eye

Cut to The Chase

Turn The Page

High Water

Open Secrets

Middletown Dreams

Emotion Detector

Edited by Todem
  • Like 2

Really sticking my neck out there with all those Victor haters, but Promise has one helluva solo. TBE is another that shocked me first time I heard it way back in 1984. Bravado is brilliant. And I've always had a thing for Cold Fire and Animate - Alex stepped outside himself and dared to be different with those.