What songs would you remove from Vapor Trails to make it a stronger album?

Czarcasm

Why in the world woud anyone mess with a CLASSIC album?Give your head a shake :facepalm:

>2002

>68 minutes long

>Classic in any sense

I'm deadly serious here. This is a good record but calling it a classic is jumping the gun. It's only 11 years old and is wayyyy too long with too many weak tracks to be a classic.

Edited by Czarcasm

Why in the world woud anyone mess with a CLASSIC album?Give your head a shake :facepalm:

>2002

>68 minutes long

>Classic in any sense

I'm deadly serious here. This is a good record but calling it a classic is jumping the gun. It's only 11 years old and is wayyyy too long with too many weak tracks to be a classic.

Classic is in the eye of the beholder.

Hey there good people of TRF!

I haven't posted here in a while, but the new Vapor Trails remix opened up my eyes to how great this record really is. Songs like Secret Touch, Nocturne, Freeze sound incredible now instead of the muddy ear destroying sound they had earlier. I now like this record more than almost all of their 90's/millenial output.

I have found however that the album is way too long for one comfortable sitting and I've dumped a couple of songs from the itunes playlists I've made.

10 track album:

SIDE ONE

One Little Victory

Secret Touch

Ghost Rider

The Stars Look Down

Vapor Trail

SIDE TWO

Earthshine

Sweet Miracle

Nocturne

Freeze

Out of The Cradle

I've found that an 8 song album works also if you ditch Ghost Rider and Freeze, which are the songs I think drag the most.

So what are your thoughts? Are there any songs on VT you can't stand or have you done something similar with your track listings?

or.. how much gold should we take out of the treasure chest to make it worth more?

• Like 3

No. Not removing any songs. Though, honestly, 'One Little Victory' sometimes gets skipped - just not my favourite, and I don't have the same love for it as I do the other VT songs - I think it's just not melodic enough for my personal taste! It's a great energetic opening song, but just not my favourite cup of Rush tea. It's like a straight-up oolong compared with the lemon-spice-ginger and chai of the other songs.
  • Like 1

I've always believed the weakest track to be "The Stars Look Down." I can appreciate (and even AGREE WITH) what it's saying lyrically, but the music is unexciting. It's one of those "just sits there" songs.

Personally, I like the whole album, but I think The Stars Look Down is kinda weak. I still like the song but I can easily skip it.

Bye bye Sweet Miracle, The Stars Look Down and Out Of The Craddle if I'm making it a 10 tracker.

You do know that "craddle" is the medical name for the arse crack, don't you?

Fitting really...

Out of the Cradle

Peaceable Kingdom

Those for my taste are by far the weakest songs on the record.

As far as The Stars Look Down.....I love....love that song. IMO it is one of the most unique Rush chorus's in their history. Such a distinctive melody

"What is the Meaning of this?"

I love Geddy's ache on his voice. I feel this lyric so much every time I hear it.

Alex's guitar work is brilliant on this song on so many levels.

It is a deep gem IMO.