"Headlong Flight" reception

coventry

Of all the songs from CA played this tour, "HF" seems to get the most appreciation and loudest applause at its end, evenmore so than "The Garden." Various opinions why, of course.

It's just so awesome live. It's a great studio cut but when performed live it just kicks ass. Great headbanging song. :D
  • Like 4

Headlong Flight got such a good reaction because it's an awesome rocker of a song. I'm not sure why you would think The Garden would get the same kind of love from the crowd? Are you living in some fantasy world where you thought The Garden was gonna get a standing ovation at every show? I saw the tour twice and every new song except Halo Effect got a better reaction than The Garden. Headlong Flight got the best reaction but people were really into all the upbeat songs they played off the new album. The two slow ones, not so much. People wanna rock out when they go to a show and Headlong Flight is a perfect song for them to do it. A song like The Garden is just a chance for the audience to sit back, relax and catch their breath for a few minutes before the show gets going again.
  • Like 2

Headlong Flight got such a good reaction because it's an awesome rocker of a song. I'm not sure why you would think The Garden would get the same kind of love from the crowd? Are you living in some fantasy world where you thought The Garden was gonna get a standing ovation at every show? I saw the tour twice and every new song except Halo Effect got a better reaction than The Garden. Headlong Flight got the best reaction but people were really into all the upbeat songs they played off the new album. The two slow ones, not so much. People wanna rock out when they go to a show and Headlong Flight is a perfect song for them to do it. A song like The Garden is just a chance for the audience to sit back, relax and catch their breath for a few minutes before the show gets going again.

Easy professor. I referenced "The Garden" because that's always been the sentimental crowd favorite from the album. And thank you for the kind lecture/guidance on what people who go to rock show want to hear.

Anyhow, condescending sarcasm aside, I recall "HF" being maligned a bit on a few threads a while ago on this board. That being said, to hear is ovation and response was wonderfully vindicating. It's a song that

1. You don't necessarily have to have heard it all all to go apeshit when you first hear it live.

2. Should be in rotation independent of the rest of the CA tunes for the next tour.

3. It's strnger than "Far Cry", "OLV", and "T4E", easily, and probably has the live legs of at least "Dreamline"

HF was the highlight of the show this time, though I thought it was performed better in Minneapolis last Sep than Sunday in KC.

People around me in KC got restless when the Garden came on. Considering that they spent most of the show complaining about how they weren't playing YYZ (up till then) and "The Trees" I got the impression that they'd never even heard "Clockwork Angels".

It reminds me of jamming old school Rush. The muscial chops and the arrangement echoes songs like "By-Tor and the Snow Dog".

I'd have said more like Bastille Day, riffwise

• Like 1

Easy professor. I referenced "The Garden" because that's always been the sentimental crowd favorite from the album. And thank you for the kind lecture/guidance on what people who go to rock show want to hear.

Anyhow, condescending sarcasm aside, I recall "HF" being maligned a bit on a few threads a while ago on this board. That being said, to hear is ovation and response was wonderfully vindicating. It's a song that

1. You don't necessarily have to have heard it all all to go apeshit when you first hear it live.

2. Should be in rotation independent of the rest of the CA tunes for the next tour.

3. It's strnger than "Far Cry", "OLV", and "T4E", easily, and probably has the live legs of at least "Dreamline"

The Garden was the sentimental favorite for about half the posters on here. No song on the new album seemed to divide the community here more. Headlong Flight on the other hand has been overwhelmingly loved by most and was easily one of the top fan favorites from the new album, if not the top one. I agree with the three points you made about the song. There's no doubt in my mind that it will be in the setlist for their next tour. The only thing that can stop it from being played on future tours is if the band simply can't pull the song off live anymore. It certainly doesn't seem like an easy song to play.

because it's a jam tune where they each get to shine and don't forget they're also applauding a drum solo in there too! ;)

Just an awesome song. Live it went to incredible.

omg I found myself bouncing, headbanging and doing major air guitar when they played it =D

AWESOME song! And The Garden is amazing IMO.

The Garden was the sentimental favorite for about half the posters on here. No song on the new album seemed to divide the community here more. Headlong Flight on the other hand has been overwhelmingly loved by most and was easily one of the top fan favorites from the new album, if not the top one. I agree with the three points you made about the song. There's no doubt in my mind that it will be in the setlist for their next tour. The only thing that can stop it from being played on future tours is if the band simply can't pull the song off live anymore. It certainly doesn't seem like an easy song to play.

I also recall about 99% of all the album reviews gushing over "The Garden" with nary a mention of "HF".

And you're right about the band., especially Geddy, being able to play that song wih the intensity it deserves. The fact that Geddy managed to hit those three massive "again...."'s is simply incredible.

Of all the songs from CA played this tour, "HF" seems to get the most appreciation and loudest applause at its end, evenmore so than "The Garden." Various opinions why, of course.

Cause its the one song that captures RUSH in the 70's. Its totally awesome and a return to what make RUSH such an overwhelming force as musicians.

:rush: :haz: :rush:

• Like 1

because it's a jam tune where they each get to shine and don't forget they're also applauding a drum solo in there too! ;)

Actually I would really like to hear the song without the drum solo. The song is long enough and has enough Peart in it for him to need to extended it with a drum solo. Beside all he was doing was triggering the same riff that Alex and Geddy had already recorded and playing around it. If you are going to do that, just have the guys play the riff themselves.

:codger:

I didn't realize the songs were in competition?

I saw 6 shows this tour ranging from front row to the very back of the lawn (literally lol)

The Garden got a great response at every single show.

But Headlong Flight is simply a monster of a live song. It has an infectious groove, a killer riff, soaring vocals and a drum solo.

What's not to love?