4:50 Radio Edit of Headlong Flight

bennyX

Does anyone know where I could find it on the net?

I've listened to the full-length version, and I figure it would have been improved through some edits, so I'm curious to know how the 4:50 radio version sounds.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Sin City @ Apr 22 2012, 08:56 AM)
Heard it this morning on planet rock. The talking vocal in the middle is absent. Much better with some of the "excess trimmed" imo.

Good-that's the one part that really bugs me in the song!

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Apr 22 2012, 03:32 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 22 2012, 04:31 PM)
That whole talking (modulated) part through the solo is probably my favorite part, actually.

goodpost.gif

Winner winner chicken dinner! I love when Rush puts non-Rush like parts in their song. Double Agent, Roll the Bones, Mal-Nar, Alien Shore, Time Stand Still, and now Headlong Flight. I think the speaking in HF is my least favorite, but I love the tidbits of weirdness they sometimes add to songs.

QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 22 2012, 04:42 PM)
Anybody who doesn't say the drum solo leading to the bass solo leading to the guitar solo part of the song is their favorite is crazy. fing.gif

You got that right!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (brunosamppa @ Apr 23 2012, 11:15 AM)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky-NCNS-x1s

1022.gif

Yeah I like this version a lot more. A lot of the pointless filler in the middle is gone now and it feels more like a cohesive song.

And anyone who says that doesnt sound like a Kirk Hammett solo is freaking crazy. If someone told me he guest starred for that solo I would totally believe them. In the past Alex rarely shredded like that with the wah, which is something Kirk does a LOT.

Love that solo though. Glad he's doing some good old fashioned shredding.

Edited by trenken

Radio Edit = No thanks

The original is better, obviously. I mean, it's Rush. One of my favorite parts of band is the length of the songs. Plus, the song is called Headlong Flight. This implies to me that there is some sort of epic scope involved here so...the longer version feels more like you're going on a journey.

The radio cut sounds a bit hurried.

QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 23 2012, 12:04 PM)
QUOTE (brunosamppa @ Apr 23 2012, 11:15 AM)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky-NCNS-x1s

1022.gif

Yeah I like this version a lot more. A lot of the pointless filler in the middle is gone now and it feels more like a cohesive song.

And anyone who says that doesnt sound like a Kirk Hammett solo is freaking crazy. If someone told me he guest starred for that solo I would totally believe them. In the past Alex rarely shredded like that with the wah, which is something Kirk does a LOT.

Love that solo though. Glad he's doing some good old fashioned shredding.

except Lifeson was doing wah solos like that years before Hammett.....

Debut album....Working Man

Fly by Night Bytor

and so on......

it sounds like old Lifeson to me.

And I like the full version better.....

Sounds far more organic...the trimmed version sounds forced.

Edited by druid13

QUOTE (RushBowler2112 @ Apr 22 2012, 03:42 PM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Apr 22 2012, 03:32 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 22 2012, 04:31 PM)
That whole talking (modulated) part through the solo is probably my favorite part, actually.

goodpost.gif

Winner winner chicken dinner! I love when Rush puts non-Rush like parts in their song. Double Agent, Roll the Bones, Mal-Nar, Alien Shore, Time Stand Still, and now Headlong Flight. I think the speaking in HF is my least favorite, but I love the tidbits of weirdness they sometimes add to songs.

Agreed.

Imagine Chain Lightning without "That's Nice.."

QUOTE (That One Guy @ Apr 23 2012, 12:14 PM)
I can dig it. Particularly, i'd dig it more if i heard it on my local radio!

I keep switching stations whenever I'm out driving and have been since Thursday. No HF yet sad.gif

Everyone likes different things. If I can get a high quality version of the radio edit in m4a format Ill put that on my ipod in place of the full version.

That entire middle section sounds ridiculously out of place to me and I get bored every time it gets to it, then the abrupt transition back to the chorus is so awkward, but in the radio edit it feels more like a song that wasn't originally intended to be an instrumental. It's not 1975 anymore, I could really live without the pointless wankery in the middle of songs.

If this were some 8 minute long song with a very epic sound and big grand chorus, yeah it makes sense to go off on tangents but this really sounds like just a normal song, but with this huge middle section thrown in. Doesn't make any sense to me. Save that stuff for epic songs or instrumentals.

doesnt sound like a song, sounds like a collage of stuff cut n pasted together

i mean for instance the radio edit of spirit of radio was kinda acceptable in its day just removing the reggae bit without harming the general flow but wayyy too much butchered from the original in this one you just cant do that

if i was Alex Neil or Geddy id have been embarrassed to chuck this out to fans who'd been waiting so long

and by the way i hate sayin this sad.gif

Edited by lifeson90

Radio Edit is organized much better, changes make much more sence. Regardless, I'd stick to the album version Live! The mix of the Radio Edit is much cleaner than what has been released on the web. It's great to hear the quality of the mix that will be available tomorrow!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Edited by losingit2k