Queensryche

presto123

They have taken their fair share of criticism lately but when they are good they are really good. What are your fav songs and or records and have you seen the band live? I suppose I've seen them probably 10 times live and they always bring it. Scott Rockenfield is still one of my most under-rated drummers to this day and I find his older playing very Peart like.

I think Empire is still my fav record although I like most of their stuff even the newer stuff. Ouch!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

been a fan since '83, the first 3 records are my faves, especially The Warning. Everything pretty much up to Empire is in my regular rotation. I wish they would've continued to blaze their own trail instead of giving in to popular trends.

QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 20 2012, 01:50 AM)
They have taken their fair share of criticism lately but when they are good they are really good.

Don't you mean when the WERE good they WERE really good? wink.gif

They haven't done anything worth a shit since Hear In The Now Frontier as far as i'm conserned and even that album was just OK. From their EP all they way up to Promised Land is great. Mindcrime is easily my favorite album from them and is one of the greatest albums of all time. If I were to make a list of my top 20 albums ever it would certainly be on it.

I'm not really sure what my favorite song is but I kinda lean towards Revolution Calling and Eyes Of A Stranger because those were the first two songs I ever knew from Queensryche and they got me into them. There isn't a single flaw with any of the songs on Mindcrime though. One of the most perfect albums you'll ever hear.

Other favorite songs are The Lady Wore Black, Take Hold Of The Flame, Roads To Madness, Walk In The Shadows, I Dream In Infrared, Screaming In Digital, Empire, Silent Lucidity, Anybody Listening?, I Am I, Damaged and Someone Else?

Rage For Order

The E.P.

Warning

Promised Land

Mindcrime

I have a hard time getting into a lot of the older stuff because to me, there's just a little too many of the cheesy 80's metal tropes in it. IMO, they didn't really start to shine until Mindcrime, though there are several songs earlier than that that I really enjoy. Looking from an album-by-album basis though... the earlier stuff doesn't hold up well.

Again, IMO.

I'm probably one of the few people on this planet that really enjoys Mindcrime II. And I thought American Soldier was a decent effort. But yes, Dedicated to Chaos sucks hard (minus At The Edge and Big Noize).

All that said, they have had many brilliant moments. Operation: Mindcrime, Empire, Promised Land, and Rage For Order are all in my top favourite albums of all time.

I usually don't whine about reunions, but they really should get DeGarmo back and record another album with him. He has gone on record to say that he would like to do it, so I don't see an issue. Bah. Just do it.

Rage for Order and Mindcrime. I was a diehard up until around Hear In The Now Frontier.

Now they just good old fashioned suck smile.gif

Edited by Rushman14

QUOTE (HemispheresserehpsimeH @ Apr 20 2012, 09:17 AM)
I'm probably one of the few people on this planet that really enjoys Mindcrime II. And I thought American Soldier was a decent effort. But yes, Dedicated to Chaos sucks hard (minus At The Edge and Big Noize).

All that said, they have had many brilliant moments. Operation: Mindcrime, Empire, Promised Land, and Rage For Order are all in my top favourite albums of all time.

I usually don't whine about reunions, but they really should get DeGarmo back and record another album with him. He has gone on record to say that he would like to do it, so I don't see an issue. Bah. Just do it.

I like OMII as well. good effort. The tour was fantastic.

Operation Mind Crime is their pinnacle moment. Empire was also a steller album. Rage for Order is also a killer album. Promised Land is dark and also sonically yummy.

Hear in the Now Frontier has some amazing songs. Overall it was good not great.

Tribe is vastly underrated as is American Solider. Two very solid albums.

Dedicated to Chaos is the absolute low point of this band. It is the big time suck. I can't believe they released this hunk of shit. Then again to me it is a Geoff tate solo record. I see them everytime they come to town. And this last show....I felt they were done. If they indeed get back together with Degarmo I am there. They miss him badly for his amazing chops and of course great songwriting.

A great progressive metal band for sure.

Edited by Todem

Empire

Hear In The Now Frontier

Promised Land

Mindcrime

Warning

Chasing Blue Sky is phenomenal!

Edited by Nate2112

I have the EP, Warning, Mindcrime, Empire, and Hear in the Now Frontier (haven't listened to this one yet). Operation: Mindcrime is my favorite and my favorite tracks are Suite Sister Mary, Spreading the Disease, Breaking The Silence, and Take Hold of the Flame.

Empire is a good album but I think its pretty overrated. Maybe I haven't listened to it enough times but it doesn't do much for me.

QUOTE (Todem @ Apr 20 2012, 01:06 PM)

I like OMII as well. good effort. The tour was fantastic.

Operation Mind Crime is their pinnacle moment. Empire was also a steller album. Rage for Order is also a killer album. Promised Land is dark and also sonically yummy.

Hear in the Now Frontier has some amazing songs. Overall it was good not great.

Tribe is vastly underrated as is American Solider. Two very solid albums.

Dedicated to Chaos is the absolute low point of this band. It is the big time suck. I can't believe they released this hunk of shit. Then again to me it is a Geoff tate solo record. I see them everytime they come to town. And this last show....I felt they were done. If they indeed get back together with Degarmo I am there. They miss him badly for his amazing chops and of course great songwriting.

A great progressive metal band for sure.

Finally someone who agrees with me. Tribe, Amercan Soldier, and Mindcrime 2 are all very solid records. I just don't get all the hate they recieve. I think it's similar to all the TRF people that criticize modern Rush because it doesn't sound like Hemispheres.

I agree about At The Edge from DTC. That song is as classic as QR gets. Too bad the whole record didn't sound like that and Big Noize. I guess there are a few songs on DTC that prove they are at least still capable of writing classic material.

I saw these guys a few times with Maiden, Metallica, and on their own. I love everything they did with Degarmo. Probably Mindcrime is my favorite. I do really like Promised Land and really enjoy Sign of the Times. Great band. Lost them when Degarmo left though.

QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 21 2012, 11:10 PM)
QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Apr 21 2012, 07:24 PM)
Sorry, I meant to write Hear in the Now Frontier instead of Sign of the Times. Also, DeGarmo...Sorry, Mr. D.

Love Get A Life, Hero, and Spool from HITNF.

Yes, me too. Great tunes. I'm going to give that one a spin today.