So...Do you like Headlong Flight?  

267 members have voted

1. 1. So...Do you like Headlong Flight?

• Love it!
    • Like it.
    • It's ok.
    • Don't like it.
    • Hate it.

I keep saying the same thing every few days, but HF continues to grow on me with every listen.

I've been running into it alot on the radio, and it sounds fantastic! I really hope it's turning heads for others listening to those stations!

It is a great song...and it has enough of a 'classic' feel that all of the "Old Rush Good - New Rush Bad" club should enjoy.

I'm going to listen to it again! bolt.gif

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Apr 22 2012, 07:01 PM)
Not a bad song, but I'm not as into it as I was.

yeah same here

bu2b and caravan got unlimited play from me morning noon & night for weeks/months

likewise with far cry and bravest face off s&a... for months id play em to death

not feeling the urge for HF i have to say sad.gif

i mean some interesting sounds on it and listenable to etc

just doesnt have the balance and flow a great rush tune needs

more like a sound doodle really

a couple guys jammin and playing around to see what noises they can string together

still, if HF one of the weakest tracks on CA its going to be a helluva album and blow s&a out the water

Edited by lifeson90

I like it a lot. To me, it's an energetic and spine-tingling melding of early Rush and modern Rush.

I wish Vapour Trails had been recorded/produced like this record.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Apr 23 2012, 09:22 AM)
QUOTE (lifeson90 @ Apr 23 2012, 09:12 AM)
likewise with far cry and bravest face off s&a... for months id play em to death

Hmm...Bravest Face.

That's an interesting choice considering all the tracks on S&A.

never understood why some fans never got bravest face i think its a brilliant rush classic

QUOTE (lifeson90 @ Apr 23 2012, 01:29 PM)

Hmm...Bravest Face.

never understood why some fans never got bravest face i think its a brilliant rush classic

Oh, don't get me wrong. I like it. I think it's quite good.

I just mean in terms of all the songs on S&A, that one would rank in the lower half for me.

Though I will say that 'classic' would be a stretch for BF. But, I like it.

well it goes to show how everyone different tastes i suppose, coz all the rest of the tunes on s&a with exception of possibly armor & sword are just kinda average to me

compare the songwriting and musical composition of BF to HF.... no contest to me, one's a work of art the other's a decent sound doodle smile.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Apr 23 2012, 10:32 AM)

Hmm...Bravest Face.

I just mean in terms of all the songs on S&A, that one would rank in the lower half for me.

the nicest thing i could say about bravest face would be that it's a very average song. i normally wouldn't speak that well of it however...

headlong flight definitely isn't up to the level of the best songs on S&A, but it's WAY better than bravest face. yes.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 23 2012, 02:17 PM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Apr 23 2012, 10:32 AM)

Hmm...Bravest Face.

the nicest thing i could say about bravest face would be that it's a very average song. i normally wouldn't speak that well of it however...

headlong flight definitely isn't up to the level of the best songs on S&A, but it's WAY better than bravest face. yes.gif

Good lawd, that chorus. wacko.gif I think Bravest Face might be my least favorite song on S&A, and I don't like most of the album. Headlong Flight is way better.

I think what I don't like about it is the monotony. It's broken up in parts like Alex's solo (which is welcoming) but the song just plays and plays with little variety. Same reason I never really cared for Peaceable Kingdom. I get bored quickly. The song could be shorter for what it's delivering.

I don't like Bravest Face's verses, so it isn't the first tune that would come to mind if I were extolling the virtues of S&A. Aside from those verses, though, it's a pretty decent song. I wouldn't consider someone to be off his rocker for preferring it to Headlong Flight.

QUOTE (Cyclonus X-1 @ Apr 23 2012, 02:44 PM)
I don't like Bravest Face's verses, so it isn't the first tune that would come to mind if I were extolling the virtues of S&A. Aside from those verses, though, it's a pretty decent song. I wouldn't consider someone to be off his rocker for preferring it to Headlong Flight.

I would. smile.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Apr 23 2012, 03:50 PM)
QUOTE (Cyclonus X-1 @ Apr 23 2012, 02:44 PM)
I don't like Bravest Face's verses, so it isn't the first tune that would come to mind if I were extolling the virtues of S&A.  Aside from those verses, though, it's a pretty decent song.  I wouldn't consider someone to be off his rocker for preferring it to Headlong Flight.

I would. smile.gif

quite honestly, so would I.

It took me a few listens, which was not unexpected - every Rush song takes me a few listens. But it absolutely rocks. It's heavy, it's driving, and the guitar solo is on fire. I also love the distorted voice section.

Two gripes: 1) They definitely could've condensed it a tad, but excess has always been a hallmark of this band so I can't complain too much. 2) Lyrics are not Neil's best work. He is capable of painting such vivid pictures with his words, but here he resorts to rather vanilla phrases like "All the journeys on this great adventure."

Overall, a great song. 8.5/10 for me.

Sorry but I'm still not getting it.First two minutes are awesome but then the chorus is awful,and all sorts of bits of jams added on.

Song would be better if;

First two minutes then go back to the beginning of the song and build again then I was expecting a sort of return to that driving bit in Cygnus X-1 with Alex's solo.

At around 2 minutes it stops and Alex sounds like he starts to play a 12 bar blues whilst falling over.

QUOTE (NYM86 @ Apr 23 2012, 05:08 PM)
It took me a few listens, which was not unexpected - every Rush song takes me a few listens. But it absolutely rocks. It's heavy, it's driving, and the guitar solo is on fire. I also love the distorted voice section.

Two gripes: 1) They definitely could've condensed it a tad, but excess has always been a hallmark of this band so I can't complain too much. 2) Lyrics are not Neil's best work. He is capable of painting such vivid pictures with his words, but here he resorts to rather vanilla phrases like "All the journeys on this great adventure."

Overall, a great song. 8.5/10 for me.

Yeah, while the lyrics aren't offensive at all, they're not terribly original or clever...and a bit below average Peart wordsmithing, I think. At best they're benign. Still, I suspect the scope of the album's concept will make the lyrics a bit more interesting. Listening to some isolated bit of The Wall isn't always the most satisfying thing on its own, but with context it makes more sense. Not that CA will be that degree of concept...or that dark or tortured....

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Apr 23 2012, 01:43 PM)
I think what I don't like about it is the monotony. It's broken up in parts like Alex's solo (which is welcoming) but the song just plays and plays with little variety. Same reason I never really cared for Peaceable Kingdom. I get bored quickly. The song could be shorter for what it's delivering.

I agree. The added length is unnecessary. Redundant verses as well as riffs. I know they like to indulge themselves, but it gets to a point where the listener gets bored and hits the "Next" button.......

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Apr 24 2012, 07:03 AM)

I agree. The added length is unnecessary. Redundant verses as well as riffs. I know they like to indulge themselves, but it gets to a point where the listener gets bored and hits the "Next" button.......

The Main Monkey Business falls into the catagory of "repetitive for no reason other than to be repetitive". They're usually great at writing instrumentals, but that one just chugs ON and ON and ON with no payoff or purpose.

QUOTE (jnoble @ Apr 24 2012, 09:59 AM)

The Main Monkey Business falls into the catagory of "repetitive for no reason other than to be repetitive". They're usually great at writing instrumentals, but that one just chugs ON and ON and ON with no payoff or purpose.

no.gif

Wrong.

DL from I-tunes this morning and made a mixed CD with Caravan and BU2B as the first 2 tracks and HF being third.

So, now I can listen to it through both my home system and Car which has a killer Bose system.

The more I listen the more I get into the tune. I still think Caravan is a better overall song. But again I think hearing this album in it's full context is going to be EPIC.

Sonically Geddy's Bass is amazing and the bottom end of this song just explodes out of the speakers. Neils drums also sounds nice and clean. Alex sounds good. I am still waiting for some more detailed guitar work from Alex and i am sure it will reveal itself on a lot of other tracks we have yet to hear.

Rush is going for an in your face hard rock sound on CA.....pretty obvious.

So far after 3 tracks we have gotten I am extremly happy.

Edited by Todem

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Apr 24 2012, 10:09 AM)
QUOTE (jnoble @ Apr 24 2012, 09:59 AM)

no.gif

Wrong.

For the first half it does, but seriously that solo? EPIC. The longer time goes on the more respect I have for Snakes and Arrows, except for the album cover doh.gif . As for Bravest Face, I just gave it a listen and its still pretty damn good IMO 1022.gif