So...Do you like Headlong Flight?  

267 members have voted

1. 1. So...Do you like Headlong Flight?

• Love it!
    • Like it.
    • It's ok.
    • Don't like it.
    • Hate it.

First listen - "Interesting! I like this. Not what I was expecting, but still good."

Second listen - "Ooh. I really like this. Let's put the volume up a few notches."

Third listen - I found myself playing flailing air drums to a new Rush track for the first time in years. 1022.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 19 2012, 03:13 AM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Apr 19 2012, 02:24 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 19 2012, 07:58 AM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Apr 19 2012, 01:47 AM)
It's sort of Zzzzz

You just wanked to it so you MUST have dozed off in he middle...again...

laugh.gif

I told you to switch the webcam off whilst I did this!

I don't want to see my handywork on YouTube either, matey!

ohmy.gif ph34r.gif laugh.gif

Fukk guys! I just had lunch! laugh.gif

There is always an element of trepidation when hearing a new Rush song the first time, 'cause frankly, ya just never know what might come out of those boys!

This, however, is a fantastic song.

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Apr 19 2012, 03:40 AM)
Don't like it. I hope the rest of the album is much better than this. The song does nothing for me.

One Little Victory was great from the beginning.
Far Cry I could NOT stop listening to.

This???????? 0

I'm just kind of bleh on all of this. This song is so awkward and not pleasant for me to listen to. The song goes from heavy, to some very busy chorus with nothing I enjoy singing, then to some weird rock n roll bridge section at around 2:10 that does not fit at all.

It actually really reminds me of One Little Victory because that song sounded like a complete mess to me, with no memorable vocal melodies anywhere. I know sometimes it takes a while for songs to grow on you, but one thing I always pick up on right from the start is vocal melodies. If they're great, you know it right away, same as if they suck. These sound like they were never meant to be in this song, like they were just slapped on top at the very end. Really awkward and boring melodies here.

I wont say I hate it because for me of course its better than something like Dog Years, but Im definitely not digging it at all. Not giving up on the album though. If this is the worst song on the album that would be great for me. Im just not the kind of Rush fan that can convince myself everything they write is great. This doesnt sound great to me.

Edited by trenken

QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 19 2012, 09:13 AM)
I wont say I hate it because for me of course its better than something like Dog Years, but Im definitely not digging it at all. Not giving up on the album though. If this is the worst song on the album that would be great for me. Im just not the kind of Rush fan that can convince myself everything they write is great. This doesnt sound great to me.

I certainly don't think "everything they do is great." But this is!

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

And I too would be happy if this was the worst song on the album... because I freaking LOVE IT, and if the rest of the album is EVEN BETTER, well, I may just have a coronary. 1022.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Apr 19 2012, 09:24 AM)

And I too would be happy if this was the worst song on the album... because I freaking LOVE IT, and if the rest of the album is EVEN BETTER, well, I may just have a coronary. 1022.gif

1022.gif

Listened to it three times now......not liking it much. It's three minutes too long, very disjointed and lacks anything resembling a melody. The riffs and guitars and drums sound good, but as a whole it's an overlong wankfest to my ears.

Remember when Rush used to compose songs that had clear cut intros, verses, bridges and memorable choruses? Seems like a long time ago now.

Ever since Test For Echo when the band got serious about sounding "heavy" again, their ability to compose coherant song structures and vocal melodies has been getting worse and worse. I can only think that it was far easier to come up with singable melodies when Ged was composing with a keyboard (circa PoW-RTB) then writing one around a metal riff.

Edited by jnoble

Like I said, its really not so much the music and the playing, that's all ok, but its the vocal melodies that are just really bad. I saw this from some guy on facebook and said it about as well or better than I could.

"I loved the musicianship, and I'm never disappointed by this. Never. However, I have to say that all the songs from Clockwork Angels thus far seem to lack an accessible vocal melody. Its feels a lot like they aren't in any plan or form at a...ll sometimes (not always, but for a huge majority of the songs). I noticed this particular trend starting with Vapor Trails where vocal melodies just started to lose their hook and jive. Compare the 3 songs to any classic Rush album and tell me these vocals aren't complete chaos. Don't get me wrong, the hard stuff is splendid. The longer pieces of old has been the stuff of Rush dreams, but if I can't start singing along because the vocal melodies make no sense, then I just can't get along with it."

As a singer myself, the thing that causes melodies to be bad is rushing them and not giving them the time and love they need. It really does take effort and everyone is capable of it, but it takes time.

QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 19 2012, 09:34 AM)

Like I said, its really not so much the music and the playing, that's all ok, but its the vocal melodies that are just really bad. I saw this from some guy on facebook and said it about as well or better than I could.

"I loved the musicianship, and I'm never disappointed by this. Never. However, I have to say that all the songs from Clockwork Angels thus far seem to lack an accessible vocal melody. Its feels a lot like they aren't in any plan or form at a...ll sometimes (not always, but for a huge majority of the songs). I noticed this particular trend starting with Vapor Trails where vocal melodies just started to lose their hook and jive. Compare the 3 songs to any classic Rush album and tell me these vocals aren't complete chaos. Don't get me wrong, the hard stuff is splendid. The longer pieces of old has been the stuff of Rush dreams, but if I can't start singing along because the vocal melodies make no sense, then I just can't get along with it."

As a singer myself, the thing that causes melodies to be bad is rushing them and not giving them the time and love they need. It really does take effort and everyone is capable of it, but it takes time.

don't believe everything you read. vocals and music matches great to my ears and that's all that matters. 1022.gif

I love it.

But I can understand why anybody else wouldn't. So far everybody I showed it to just kinda had this confused look on their faces. Admittedly, that's how I felt the first time too. It only took a second listen for me to understand it, and now, it's all great!

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Apr 19 2012, 09:38 AM)

don't believe everything you read. vocals and music matches great to my ears and that's all that matters. 1022.gif

The issue is I had the exact same feeling about the vocals yesterday, before I read that guys post today which said the exact same thing I was saying. The vocals just are not catchy at all. They feel slapped together in an afternoon, like they dont even belong there at all.

I know this song was written as an instrumental and I just think it should have stayed that way. That's just my opinion. I hope the rest of the songs sound like they were written like they were in the old days. When Rush sat down to write Freewill, that's what they worked on. Everything in it was always intended to be there and the lyrics flow perfectly with the music, they're catchy and it feels like a real song, not jammed out parts glued together with some lyrics just slapped on top of it.

Another guy from FB.

"Love the music... for some reason the way Geddy has sung over the last few albums kinds of runs together... don't know if it is the way the lyrics are put together or his lack of range. I like it, but seems to be missing something."

I know I'm not the only one hearing this. If it doesn't bother someone else, that's totally fine, but I just take real notice to vocal melodies and know right away when they dont sound good to me. If they dont they never grow on me. If they're good, I never get sick of them. I really started noticing this I guess around T4E that they were just not quite as good as they once were, and became very noticeable once VT came out.

QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 19 2012, 09:45 AM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Apr 19 2012, 09:38 AM)

The issue is I had the exact same feeling about the vocals yesterday, before I read that guys post today which said the exact same thing I was saying. The vocals just are not catchy at all. They feel slapped together in an afternoon, like they dont even belong there at all.

I know this song was written as an instrumental and I just think it should have stayed that way. That's just my opinion. I hope the rest of the songs sound like they were written like they were in the old days. When Rush sat down to write Freewill, that's what they worked on. Everything in it was always intended to be there and the lyrics flow perfectly with the music, they're catchy and it feels like a real song, not jammed out parts glued together with some lyrics just slapped on top of it.

to each his own dude. sorry you can't enjoy it as much as i can. trink38.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 18 2012, 11:41 PM)
Of course you punks, it ROCKS and it's METAL!

1022.gif

^^ I agree with Ducky! To my ears it goes back to heavier, earlier Rush and I love that!

QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 19 2012, 09:51 AM)
Another guy from FB.

"Love the music... for some reason the way Geddy has sung over the last few albums kinds of runs together... don't know if it is the way the lyrics are put together or his lack of range. I like it, but seems to be missing something."

I know I'm not the only one hearing this. If it doesn't bother someone else, that's totally fine, but I just take real notice to vocal melodies and know right away when they dont sound good to me. If they dont they never grow on me. If they're good, I never get sick of them. I really started noticing this I guess around T4E that they were just not quite as good as they once were, and became very noticeable once VT came out.

i think you guys are in cahoots. trink38.gif

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Apr 19 2012, 09:55 AM)
Another guy from FB.

i think you guys are in cahoots. trink38.gif

I have no idea who these people are. They're posting on Rush's FB page.

Ive said before at this point if Geddy only played 5 notes for 5 minutes, if the song has some badass vocal melodies I'll be all over it and gushing about it all day. But its the other way around in this song. Busy music, lots of notes and parts, bad vocal melodies. Some prefer it that way and thats totally cool, these days im the exact opposite, cannot like a song with the best music ever and bad melodies. It will always sound bad to me, but Im still very excited for the rest of the album.

If the rest is bad then whatever, I got more than enough great stuff out of them so I wont lose any sleep if the rest is terrible. I'll still hand my money over anyway and go see them on tour this fall. I didnt like S&A much at all but still took what I can get and handed the greens over to them because they've more than earned it.

QUOTE (Dscrapre @ Apr 19 2012, 09:43 AM)
I love it.

But I can understand why anybody else wouldn't. So far everybody I showed it to just kinda had this confused look on their faces. Admittedly, that's how I felt the first time too. It only took a second listen for me to understand it, and now, it's all great!

I love it.

That someone has listened to the entire Rush catalogue and could possibly not be blown away by HF is baffling to me.

Another guy from FB.

THIS

Well, okay, I can agree with you somewhat.

I've been saying for years that I'd like to hear Rush experiment more with vocal melodies. Mess around more with the long (legato) and short (staccato) of syllables, words, and phrases. It makes for a more interesting song, and a more enjoyable one to SING.

Many Rush fans play guitar, bass, or drums, and like to "air" along with those instruments while listening to Rush... but ALL Rush fans like to sing along to the vocals! So, wouldn't it be to the song's betterment and perhaps even the success of the band to have more "interesting" vocal melodies?

Thing is, though, that vocal melodies have never really been the band's strong suit to begin with. There've been certain moments and certain songs throughout their career where the vocal melodies were strong, but overall not so much. So, crying about the lack of strong vocal melodies in a Rush song is like crying about the lack of an accordian: it's not there, but has it really ever been?

I still love the song. I'm sure I'll be singing along to it in the car, despite the vocal melody not being Earth-shattering. That's just Rush. Meanwhile, the freaking bass is INCREDIBLE and the arrangement is interesting and the song ROCKS HARD!