So...Do you like Headlong Flight?  

267 members have voted

1. 1. So...Do you like Headlong Flight?

• Love it!
    • Like it.
    • It's ok.
    • Don't like it.
    • Hate it.

QUOTE (Alchemical @ Apr 18 2012, 04:31 PM)
A little underwhelmed but I still like it. 2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Yeah, I like it. Its clearly the best stuff in a very long time.

It suffers a bit from the choices they make in most of their later songs, I think.

Lengthen the killer solo section. They were just starting to rip lose and then it stops. I was yelling YES, YES, YES, then NO!!, don't stop. (kind of like my wife) Then too repetitive on the chorus. I just think they choose to dwell on and extend the weaker parts in their songs in recent years.

I think this one was close to being their best song since MP(probably still is) but they just won't go there.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Apr 19 2012, 10:39 AM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 19 2012, 09:34 AM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Apr 19 2012, 09:24 AM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 19 2012, 09:13 AM)
I wont say I hate it because for me of course its better than something like Dog Years, but Im definitely not digging it at all. Not giving up on the album though. If this is the worst song on the album that would be great for me. Im just not the kind of Rush fan that can convince myself everything they write is great. This doesnt sound great to me.

I certainly don't think "everything they do is great." But this is!

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

And I too would be happy if this was the worst song on the album... because I freaking LOVE IT, and if the rest of the album is EVEN BETTER, well, I may just have a coronary. 1022.gif

Like I said, its really not so much the music and the playing, that's all ok, but its the vocal melodies that are just really bad. I saw this from some guy on facebook and said it about as well or better than I could.

"I loved the musicianship, and I'm never disappointed by this. Never. However, I have to say that all the songs from Clockwork Angels thus far seem to lack an accessible vocal melody. Its feels a lot like they aren't in any plan or form at a...ll sometimes (not always, but for a huge majority of the songs). I noticed this particular trend starting with Vapor Trails where vocal melodies just started to lose their hook and jive. Compare the 3 songs to any classic Rush album and tell me these vocals aren't complete chaos. Don't get me wrong, the hard stuff is splendid. The longer pieces of old has been the stuff of Rush dreams, but if I can't start singing along because the vocal melodies make no sense, then I just can't get along with it."

As a singer myself, the thing that causes melodies to be bad is rushing them and not giving them the time and love they need. It really does take effort and everyone is capable of it, but it takes time.

Well, okay, I can agree with you somewhat.

I've been saying for years that I'd like to hear Rush experiment more with vocal melodies. Mess around more with the long (legato) and short (staccato) of syllables, words, and phrases. It makes for a more interesting song, and a more enjoyable one to SING.

Many Rush fans play guitar, bass, or drums, and like to "air" along with those instruments while listening to Rush... but ALL Rush fans like to sing along to the vocals! So, wouldn't it be to the song's betterment and perhaps even the success of the band to have more "interesting" vocal melodies?

Thing is, though, that vocal melodies have never really been the band's strong suit to begin with. There've been certain moments and certain songs throughout their career where the vocal melodies were strong, but overall not so much. So, crying about the lack of strong vocal melodies in a Rush song is like crying about the lack of an accordian: it's not there, but has it really ever been?

I still love the song. I'm sure I'll be singing along to it in the car, despite the vocal melody not being Earth-shattering. That's just Rush. Meanwhile, the freaking bass is INCREDIBLE and the arrangement is interesting and the song ROCKS HARD!

It is no big secret that Geddy's vocal quality has probably been the biggest factor in Rush's not being more generally appreciated, and has almost certainly limited the numerical sales success and radio airplay of most of their songs. More so then song length, lyrical content, or musical style.

However, after 20 albums (counting CA and Feedback), this surely can't be an issue or surprise with Rush fans? Is it not somehow generally understood that a lot of the times Geddy's vocal quality is not immediately palatable?

Geddy is not Dickerson or Plant (or Adele-blech blech). His voice is a detraction to many.

When I hear HF, I hear vocals that are strong for Geddy- loud and powerful.

I wont say I hate it because for me of course its better than something like Dog Years, but Im definitely not digging it at all. Not giving up on the album though. If this is the worst song on the album that would be great for me. Im just not the kind of Rush fan that can convince myself everything they write is great. This doesnt sound great to me.

And I too would be happy if this was the worst song on the album... because I freaking LOVE IT, and if the rest of the album is EVEN BETTER, well, I may just have a coronary. 1022.gif

Like I said, its really not so much the music and the playing, that's all ok, but its the vocal melodies that are just really bad. I saw this from some guy on facebook and said it about as well or better than I could.

"I loved the musicianship, and I'm never disappointed by this. Never. However, I have to say that all the songs from Clockwork Angels thus far seem to lack an accessible vocal melody. Its feels a lot like they aren't in any plan or form at a...ll sometimes (not always, but for a huge majority of the songs). I noticed this particular trend starting with Vapor Trails where vocal melodies just started to lose their hook and jive. Compare the 3 songs to any classic Rush album and tell me these vocals aren't complete chaos. Don't get me wrong, the hard stuff is splendid. The longer pieces of old has been the stuff of Rush dreams, but if I can't start singing along because the vocal melodies make no sense, then I just can't get along with it."

As a singer myself, the thing that causes melodies to be bad is rushing them and not giving them the time and love they need. It really does take effort and everyone is capable of it, but it takes time.

I've been saying for years that I'd like to hear Rush experiment more with vocal melodies. Mess around more with the long (legato) and short (staccato) of syllables, words, and phrases. It makes for a more interesting song, and a more enjoyable one to SING.

Many Rush fans play guitar, bass, or drums, and like to "air" along with those instruments while listening to Rush... but ALL Rush fans like to sing along to the vocals! So, wouldn't it be to the song's betterment and perhaps even the success of the band to have more "interesting" vocal melodies?

Thing is, though, that vocal melodies have never really been the band's strong suit to begin with. There've been certain moments and certain songs throughout their career where the vocal melodies were strong, but overall not so much. So, crying about the lack of strong vocal melodies in a Rush song is like crying about the lack of an accordian: it's not there, but has it really ever been?

I still love the song. I'm sure I'll be singing along to it in the car, despite the vocal melody not being Earth-shattering. That's just Rush. Meanwhile, the freaking bass is INCREDIBLE and the arrangement is interesting and the song ROCKS HARD!

Well one thing I completely disagree with you is that vocal melodies werent their strong point. For me they were fantastic from 2112 to I guess around Presto, and started to go down after that.

Even more than the music, the vocal melodies were what determined if I loved a song or not. Even being a musician myself, I dont care about pointless wankery. I love great songs and that completely hinges on how good the vocal melodies are.

But they got older and probably were not willing to spend as much time sitting there for days and days working on the vocal melodies for just 1 song, weeks if it was required, so they all sound slapped together to me. Geddy really was fantastic at writing great melodies but its gone downhill a lot for me.

Edited by trenken

Whatever your criticisms or gripes are, which you have a right to express, hold off generalizing a little, for we haven't heard the whole album yet. Maybe there will be some songs with strong vocal melodies yet to be heard on CA. Or songs with other things you wish you could hear or not hear.

QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 19 2012, 11:05 AM)

Well one thing I completely disagree with you is that vocal melodies werent their strong point. For me they were fantastic from 2112 to I guess around Presto, and started to go down after that.

Even more than the music, the vocal melodies were what determined if I loved a song or not. Even being a musician myself, I dont care about pointless wankery. I love great songs and that completely hinges on how good the vocal melodies are.

But they got older and probably were not willing to spend as much time sitting there for days and days working on the vocal melodies for just 1 song, weeks if it was required, so they all sound slapped together to me. Geddy really was fantastic at writing great melodies but its gone downhill a lot for me.

I think the majority of Rush fans gravitate toward the musicianship first, and then the lyrics, with the vocals coming in third...I know for myself, i love Rush because they place so much emphasis on the arrangement of the song and the actual playing more so than a catchy vocal line...I leave that stuff for the Journeys and the REO Speedwagons of the world cool.gif

Ill post some examples of what I think are great melodies since Im bored as shit at work. lol

These are from the new Mars Volta album because it's fresh in my mind, and it took Cedric 1 solid year to write the lyrics and put these melodies together. To me these are FAR greater than anything Ive heard from Rush in the last 10 years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFSyc2s4eeA#t=02m55s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNjs4M9mlY4#t=03m52s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFSyc2s4eeA#t=05m10s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix_RzGWYbWo#t=03m10s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AximRP7U50M#t=00m28s

Now keep in mind this is a prog band, or were anyway. Their past albums were f***ing nuts musically. Really difficult to play, and then they come out with this, simplified and great vocal melodies, and it took the guy over a year to put it together, not 3 months like Rush spent on CA.

Edited by trenken

QUOTE (Animate @ Apr 19 2012, 10:59 AM)
It is no big secret that Geddy's vocal quality has probably been the biggest factor in Rush's not being more generally appreciated, and has almost certainly limited the numerical sales success and radio airplay of most of their songs. More so then song length, lyrical content, or musical style.

However, after 20 albums (counting CA and Feedback), this surely can't be an issue or surprise with Rush fans? Is it not somehow generally understood that a lot of the times Geddy's vocal quality is not immediately palatable?

Geddy is not Dickerson or Plant (or Adele-blech blech). His voice is a detraction to many.

You're talking here about his pitch and his tone. Those are the things about his VOICE which have been criticized and have probably kept the band marginalized.

We were speaking about vocal melodies, which are not the same thing.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Apr 19 2012, 11:17 AM)
It is no big secret that Geddy's vocal quality has probably been the biggest factor in Rush's not being more generally appreciated, and has almost certainly limited the numerical sales success and radio airplay of most of their songs.  More so then song length, lyrical content, or musical style.

However, after 20 albums (counting CA and Feedback), this surely can't  be an issue or surprise with Rush fans?  Is it not somehow generally understood that a lot of the times Geddy's vocal quality is not immediately palatable?

Geddy is not Dickerson or Plant (or Adele-blech blech).  His voice is a detraction to many.

You're talking here about his pitch and his tone. Those are the things about his VOICE which have been criticized and have probably kept the band marginalized.

Yes you're right. I think the quality is ok, he's older, I can live with it. What I dont like is the lack of melodies.

Please let me summarize my first impressions on the single.

My Favorite Headache mixed with Vapor Trails. Boring.

Autotuned vocal harmonies. Eeek!

Instrumentation. Repetitive and excessive. The song doesn't deserve to be 7.5 minutes long.

Unfortunately, after 1997, things will never be as good as they used to be for this band music-wise.. Feeling deeply depressed right now.

Edited by Vicious

I have to say even as a Mars Volta fan ...I found only one of those links provided to have anything all that great going on....I think it was link 4. EDIT ( 5 )

Dislexicon (noctourniquet)

The first one sounded like a damn showering gel commercial....very derivative....

Edited by druid13

QUOTE (Vicious @ Apr 19 2012, 11:24 AM)

Instrumentation. Repetitive and excessive. The song doesn't deserve to be 7.5 minutes long.

Unfortunately, after 1997, things will never be as good as they used to be for this band music-wise.. Feeling deeply depressed right now.

Rush is like a train that keeps moving forward. You can stay on or get off. It won't matter to them, cause they got a huge passenger load who will stay with them no matter what. And even if everyone gets off, they will still be happy as long as their music satisfies them. As long as Rush keeps doing things that please them, that's what matters to them. Pleasing us is secondary.

But, you have a right to grieve what you miss about Rush in the past that they are not concentrating on as much today or what they have added that you don't like.

Every Rush fan's opinions matter. Every Rush fan has a right to express those opinions, good or bad.

Hopefully there will be other songs on CA you will like.

Rush aint lookin back...only lookin ahead, even though Neil says he wishes he could live it again.

Funny when Rush was writing more traditionally melodic material...people moaned and whined then,...

Cue ....hey Roll the Bones....hey Half the World...your are missed by some right now.

Well at least no one is being so arrogant as I witnessed on another website...some British dude claiming this was not even music.

I could throw a ton of material his way that would likely leave him confused and befuddled becuase at first glance he would call it "not music"....

I tend to agree that the vocal melodies have never been their strongest element. Yes they do have lots of songs with great vocal melodies but overall, its not what I consider their trademark. I love HF and Caravan for that matter, but one thing I have noticed is that these songs have gotten heavy and more complex and almost fatiguing to listen to because they never let up. That, and it does sound like they developed the music way before the vocals and are trying to find a spot over the top. Overall, I am digging them though!

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Apr 19 2012, 11:17 AM)
It is no big secret that Geddy's vocal quality has probably been the biggest factor in Rush's not being more generally appreciated, and has almost certainly limited the numerical sales success and radio airplay of most of their songs.  More so then song length, lyrical content, or musical style.

However, after 20 albums (counting CA and Feedback), this surely can't  be an issue or surprise with Rush fans?  Is it not somehow generally understood that a lot of the times Geddy's vocal quality is not immediately palatable?

Geddy is not Dickerson or Plant (or Adele-blech blech).  His voice is a detraction to many.

You are ok with the quality of Geddy's voice, but simply don't find HF to be melodic enough for your personal tastes. Fair enough. This is an entirely subjective opinion.

QUOTE (druid13 @ Apr 19 2012, 11:34 AM)
I have to say even as a Mars Volta fan ...I found only one of those links provided to have anything all that great going on....I think it was link 4. EDIT ( 5 )

The first one sounded like a damn showering gel commercial....very derivative....

none of those links posted as alternative to HF do anything for me. **YAWN**

yeah but come on folks....the singing part to Misson could have been a laundry detergent commercial..."Hold your Fire...keep it Burning bright..."

that is what happens when Rush goes "traditional" with melodic lines...

and frankly that vocal line ALWAYS made me cringe...too cheesy....from day one when I heard it.

QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 19 2012, 11:16 AM)
Ill post some examples of what I think are great melodies since Im bored as shit at work. lol

These are from the new Mars Volta album because it's fresh in my mind, and it took Cedric 1 solid year to write the lyrics and put these melodies together. To me these are FAR greater than anything Ive heard from Rush in the last 10 years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p07-byXUJ9E#t=02m07s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFSyc2s4eeA#t=02m55s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNjs4M9mlY4#t=03m52s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFSyc2s4eeA#t=05m10s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix_RzGWYbWo#t=03m10s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AximRP7U50M#t=00m28s

Now keep in mind this is a prog band, or were anyway. Their past albums were f***ing nuts musically. Really difficult to play, and then they come out with this, simplified and great vocal melodies, and it took the guy over a year to put it together, not 3 months like Rush spent on CA.

I dont see what is so great with Mars Volta. They used one full year you say. Well I can hear that. Talk about nonsense.

I will quickly run over to the overrated thread....... laugh.gif

As a life-long Rush fan and been in Rush cover bands, I don't think I've ever liked a Rush album on first listen... but they grow and grow on me.

Headlong flight: On first listen, I am undecided. Can't understand the words... don't like the vocal sound (on the streaming version at least). song structure seems random and disjointed. No real hook.

2nd listen, after looking at lyrics: love the lyrics, starting to find the hook, liking the vocal lines. Like the guitar parts that sound like Bastille Day and Cygnus, although they seem a little "sloppy" like someone said, if that's possible for Rush.

Next day listen, getting used to the song structure, although it still doesn't seem to "stick" with me, like Caravan and BU2B, especially Caravan hit me with a hook.

HF sounds like Vapor Trails to me, lots of good bass lines and vocals, thick guitar chords get a little boring without lead lines or keyboards. Too long for what it is, not progressive.

Will have to see how the rest of the album shakes out.

Chris

www.lundquistaudio.com

unsure.gif

I think many Rush fans miss complex music combined with great vocal melodies that flows well that impacts both the left brain and right brain equally. Examples include most of the stuff on MP, Circumstances, Trees, Fly By Night, Natural Science, Freewill, Closer to the Heart, a lot on 2112...you get my drift.

How they used to marry amazing musicianship and smooth, flowing vocal melodies without the result being too noisy is what a lot of Rush fans miss, including me.

However, I still appreciate a lot of their newer stuff too.

I am not one of those Rush fans that just live in the past.

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Apr 19 2012, 07:39 PM)
QUOTE (Vicious @ Apr 19 2012, 11:24 AM)

Rush is like a train that keeps moving forward. You can stay on or get off. It won't matter to them, cause they got a huge passenger load who will stay with them no matter what. And even if everyone gets off, they will still be happy as long as their music satisfies them. As long as Rush keeps doing things that please them, that's what matters to them. Pleasing us is secondary.

But, you have a right to grieve what you miss about Rush in the past that they are not concentrating on as much today or what they have added that you don't like.

Every Rush fan's opinions matter. Every Rush fan has a right to express those opinions, good or bad.

Hopefully there will be other songs on CA you will like.

Rush aint lookin back...only lookin ahead, even though Neil says he wishes he could live it again.

I appreciate the band moving forward, however I see the band stuck on Vapor Trails kind of sound and vibe. I mean, c'mon, the album came out 11 years ago, time to move on. Don't want post-rock guitar mess and autotuned harmonies no more.

Edited by Vicious

QUOTE (lundquistaudio @ Apr 19 2012, 11:49 AM)
As a life-long Rush fan and been in Rush cover bands, I don't think I've ever liked a Rush album on first listen... but they grow and grow on me.

Headlong flight: On first listen, I am undecided. Can't understand the words... don't like the vocal sound (on the streaming version at least). song structure seems random and disjointed. No real hook.

2nd listen, after looking at lyrics: love the lyrics, starting to find the hook, liking the vocal lines. Like the guitar parts that sound like Bastille Day and Cygnus, although they seem a little "sloppy" like someone said, if that's possible for Rush.

Next day listen, getting used to the song structure, although it still doesn't seem to "stick" with me, like Caravan and BU2B, especially Caravan hit me with a hook.

HF sounds like Vapor Trails to me, lots of good bass lines and vocals, thick guitar chords get a little boring without lead lines or keyboards. Too long for what it is, not progressive.

Chris
www.lundquistaudio.com
unsure.gif

Hooks and structured songs belongs to the 1980-2007 era. Rush have revisited pre 1980 with longer and more complex arragements.

I have always wished for this to happen. I only miss the keys.

QUOTE (Animate @ Apr 19 2012, 11:45 AM)
You are ok with the quality of Geddy's voice, but simply don't find HF to be melodic enough for your personal tastes. Fair enough. This is an entirely subjective opinion.

You might be confusing me with Trenken. I'm fine with Geddy's voice AND fine with the vocal melody. He contends that the song is bad because the vocal melody is so poor. I contend that the song is ROCKING, and I willingly overlook any weakness in the vocal melody department because Rush is usually weak in that department anyway.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Apr 19 2012, 12:02 PM)
QUOTE (Animate @ Apr 19 2012, 11:45 AM)
You are ok with the quality of Geddy's voice, but simply don't find HF to be melodic enough for your personal tastes.  Fair enough.  This is an entirely subjective opinion.

You might be confusing me with Trenken. I'm fine with Geddy's voice AND fine with the vocal melody. He contends that the song is bad because the vocal melody is so poor. I contend that the song is ROCKING, and I willingly overlook any weakness in the vocal melody department because Rush is usually weak in that department anyway.

Oops, I actually was confusing you with that other poster.

Your take on HF smile.gif smile.gif

QUOTE (druid13 @ Apr 19 2012, 11:34 AM)

it's definitely an acquired taste. wacko.gif

QUOTE (Snowman @ Apr 19 2012, 12:00 PM)
QUOTE (lundquistaudio @ Apr 19 2012, 11:49 AM)

Headlong flight:  On first listen, I am undecided.  Can't understand the words... don't like the vocal sound (on the streaming version at least).  song structure seems random and disjointed. No real hook.

2nd listen, after looking at lyrics:  love the lyrics, starting to find the hook, liking the vocal lines.  Like the guitar parts that sound like Bastille Day and Cygnus, although they seem a little "sloppy" like someone said, if that's possible for Rush.

HF sounds like Vapor Trails to me, lots of good bass lines and vocals, thick guitar chords get a little boring without lead lines or keyboards.  Too long for what it is, not progressive.

Chris
www.lundquistaudio.com
unsure.gif

Hooks and structured songs belongs to the 1980-2007 era. Rush have revisited pre 1980 with longer and more complex arragements.

I have always wished for this to happen. I only miss the keys.

Wait for the rest of the album. I have a feeling the keys will be there.