So...Do you like Headlong Flight?  

267 members have voted

1. 1. So...Do you like Headlong Flight?

• Love it!
    • Like it.
    • It's ok.
    • Don't like it.
    • Hate it.

QUOTE (Unattractive Truth @ Apr 18 2012, 07:40 PM)
I love it so much, I want to take it out behind the school and get it pregnant.

common001.gif

z7shysterical.gif

Yeah, I love it too and think it will be classic.

I'm still reading, but have those who said hated it come forth with an explanation yet?

Or are they just choosing to troll and run? ph34r.gif

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ Apr 19 2012, 01:45 PM)
QUOTE (tas7 @ Apr 19 2012, 03:43 AM)
I just might be the only Rush fan on here who likes Caravan and BU2B more than Headlong Flight.

bekloppt.gif Nope, I like Caravan and BU2B better too! Caravan's been stuck in my head for the last couple days.

And I still like Vapor Trails better than anything that's come after it. wink.gif That said, I'm still quite pumped for Clockwork Angels! Can't wait to hear the whole album.

I am secretly hoping that the rest of the album is as good as what we've heard so far.

If these are the only 3 gems on the record, I'm going to be seriously disappointed.

This song is f***ing SICK! Kicks ass from start to finish. Can't wait for the album to be released.

QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 19 2012, 09:48 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 19 2012, 11:16 AM)
Ill post some examples of what I think are great melodies since Im bored as shit at work. lol

These are from the new Mars Volta album because it's fresh in my mind, and it took Cedric 1 solid year to write the lyrics and put these melodies together. To me these are FAR greater than anything Ive heard from Rush in the last 10 years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p07-byXUJ9E#t=02m07s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFSyc2s4eeA#t=02m55s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNjs4M9mlY4#t=03m52s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFSyc2s4eeA#t=05m10s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix_RzGWYbWo#t=03m10s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AximRP7U50M#t=00m28s

Now keep in mind this is a prog band, or were anyway. Their past albums were f***ing nuts musically. Really difficult to play, and then they come out with this, simplified and great vocal melodies, and it took the guy over a year to put it together, not 3 months like Rush spent on CA.

I wasnt trying to make some sort of commercial promoting Mars Volta. In fact I dont think those links I posted are even close to their best albums, I just posted them since they're from their new album and are fresh in my mind.

If you dont like those clips thats totally fine, but they are examples of vocal melodies that are easy to digest. They flow with the music, none of them sound like they dont fit, and are very well constructed and easy to sing along to.

Like all of music not everyone will like it, but if you look at the comments on all of those clips, tons of people do. They are a modern day Rush. Hardcore prog beginnings and just now starting to write shorter, normal songs.

Then I listen to Headlong Flight and I hear music that sounds like 5 different jams glued together with some vocals slapped on at the very end. It just doesnt sound like a rock solid song to me. It's kind of a mess. I dont get what they're doing now. Im not the kind of fan where if Geddy just rips a little im ready to say its the best theyve been in a long time. Without strong melodies the song means nothing to me.

Thanks for posting about Mars Volta... I'll check them out. If you like prog bands, Transatlantic is also worth giving a try (throwback to 1970s Yes and Genesis). Ozric Tentacles is an interesting space-jam-prog-instrumentals band.

I feel Headlong Flight is cohesive. The fast and slow bits go well together, and the lyrics and singing match up with music. I also find it very catchy and melodic.

QUOTE (deslock @ Apr 21 2012, 07:54 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 19 2012, 09:48 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 19 2012, 11:16 AM)
Ill post some examples of what I think are great melodies since Im bored as shit at work. lol

These are from the new Mars Volta album because it's fresh in my mind, and it took Cedric 1 solid year to write the lyrics and put these melodies together. To me these are FAR greater than anything Ive heard from Rush in the last 10 years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p07-byXUJ9E#t=02m07s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFSyc2s4eeA#t=02m55s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNjs4M9mlY4#t=03m52s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFSyc2s4eeA#t=05m10s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix_RzGWYbWo#t=03m10s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AximRP7U50M#t=00m28s

Now keep in mind this is a prog band, or were anyway. Their past albums were f***ing nuts musically. Really difficult to play, and then they come out with this, simplified and great vocal melodies, and it took the guy over a year to put it together, not 3 months like Rush spent on CA.

I wasnt trying to make some sort of commercial promoting Mars Volta. In fact I dont think those links I posted are even close to their best albums, I just posted them since they're from their new album and are fresh in my mind.

If you dont like those clips thats totally fine, but they are examples of vocal melodies that are easy to digest. They flow with the music, none of them sound like they dont fit, and are very well constructed and easy to sing along to.

Like all of music not everyone will like it, but if you look at the comments on all of those clips, tons of people do. They are a modern day Rush. Hardcore prog beginnings and just now starting to write shorter, normal songs.

Then I listen to Headlong Flight and I hear music that sounds like 5 different jams glued together with some vocals slapped on at the very end. It just doesnt sound like a rock solid song to me. It's kind of a mess. I dont get what they're doing now. Im not the kind of fan where if Geddy just rips a little im ready to say its the best theyve been in a long time. Without strong melodies the song means nothing to me.

Thanks for posting about Mars Volta... I'll check them out. If you like prog bands, Transatlantic is also worth giving a try (throwback to 1970s Yes and Genesis). Ozric Tentacles is an interesting space-jam-prog-instrumentals band.

I feel Headlong Flight is cohesive. The fast and slow bits go well together, and the lyrics and singing match up with music. I also find it very catchy and melodic.

I love Transatlantic! All Of The Above is such a phenomenal song! wub.gif I heard they got back together but I haven't heard their new album yet....

I dont get it...they started out as a kick ass hard rock band with interesting and odd time changes, proficient musicianship, and cerebral lyrical themes. They've tried just about everything they can think of, and came back full circle in a way to what got them going in the 1st place. They obviously want to go out that way. And for where Ged's vocal range has gone over the years, he is singing within his range fine to me. he sounds inspired...

so some of you can go on and enjoy your ongoing dissertations and clinical analysis on the music like a physics equation. I'm gonna rock this killer riffage the f*ck out and sing with the band

QUOTE (earth2112shine @ Apr 22 2012, 02:34 AM)
Not digging any of the new songs, they sound very contemporary. Not Like Rush at all !! I'm just hoping they grow on me so I can continue my 35 year love of their music 2.gif

"Sounding very contemporary and not like at all Rush"

Bet you a whole butt load of Rush fans said the same thing in the mid 1980s.

QUOTE (earth2112shine @ Apr 22 2012, 01:34 AM)
Not digging any of the new songs, they sound very contemporary. Not Like Rush at all !! I'm just hoping they grow on me so I can continue my 35 year love of their music 2.gif

When have they not sounded contemporary? The last time they sounded like the did on Hemispheres was in 1978. The last time they sounded like they did on Signals was 1982. They always sound like the period they're recording in. It's called progress. As is, progressive. Moving forward. Not staying stuck in the past, 30 years ago.

QUOTE (Digitallware @ Apr 21 2012, 09:10 PM)
I've grown to like headlong flight a lot, that doesn't mean its a particularly amazing song rather its the right song for right now, years from now who knows.

This is an interesting comment. What will "change" about the song years from now? If the song is seen as "OK" now but GREAT years from now, what will have changed about it? Don't you think that it will be our points of view that will have changed...?? The song will remain the same..... confused13.gif confused13.gif

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Apr 22 2012, 11:26 AM)
QUOTE (earth2112shine @ Apr 22 2012, 02:34 AM)
Not digging any of the new songs, they sound very contemporary. Not Like Rush at all !! I'm just hoping they grow on me so I can continue my 35 year love of their music  2.gif

"Sounding very contemporary and not like at all Rush"

Bet you a whole butt load of Rush fans said the same thing in the mid 1980s.

It's not their sound, it's the songwriting or lack thereof as of late. When you compare HF to some of their older great "epics".....you hear a huge difference in cohesivness. Musically, these guys still have it, songwriting wise some of their newer songs just sound liked they are jammed together with no real effort on structure or melodies. It's easy to get excited over new Rush, but will HF hold up as a classic in the long run? Doubtful.....

When S&A first came out, everyone thought it was their best in 25 years etc.....etc...but as time went on, lots of fans have started to rank it lower in their catalog, proving that once the excitement wore off, it wasn't even close to their best work.

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Apr 22 2012, 01:13 PM)
When S&A first came out, everyone thought it was their best in 25 years etc.....etc...but as time went on, lots of fans have started to rank it lower in their catalog....

And lots of fans have not.

It's unfortunate that so many fans waste their time "ranking" a band's albums. You either like the album or you don't. Comparing a new album to an album from 20-30 years ago is a meaningless exercise....IMO. smile.gif smile.gif

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Apr 22 2012, 12:27 PM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Apr 22 2012, 01:13 PM)
When S&A first came out, everyone thought it was their best in 25 years etc.....etc...but as time went on, lots of fans have started to rank it lower in their catalog....

And lots of fans have not.

It's unfortunate that so many fans waste their time "ranking" a band's albums. You either like the album or you don't. Comparing a new album to an album from 20-30 years ago is a meaningless exercise....IMO. smile.gif smile.gif

Not meaningless at all....this is a discussion forum.

I f***ing love HF. And Caravan. And BU2B.

To me, this is Rush sounding like Rush: Neil playing busy and hard, Alex being Alex and Geddy squalling like a mashed cat while tearing up the bass.

What's not to like? Complaining about audio quality from youtube or the rolling stone stream is bitching just to be bitching. Of course the cd audio will sound better.

It has slowly been growing on me. The very first listen on the 19th for me, right after Ged's opening bass lines, my first thought in my head was "What is this jumbled mess." But the second listen, and subsequent listens, I've tried focusing in on individual guitar bits or bass lines, and it has started to make a bit more sense. I initially found the sound to be quite rough, at least on the version I was hearing, then I realized I could hit 720p and that made an improvement. The official RushTV channel seems to have the cleanest version so far, but it still has a bit of digitalness to it, or something along that line. It's not their playing by any stretch, my gawd they are so hot and tight right now. I also set my sound card to 'karaoke' mode, that took out Ged's vocals and makes some behind sounds more pronounced, that made for an interesting listen. So while I'm still not 100% on it still, it is a good piece of music. But I am just loving that mid Neil Peart drum solo, that is just awesome! Caravan and BU2B took less time for me to get into, but I think I had a similar initial reaction to them, and now they are among my favorite songs, especially BU2B.