OH MY GOD!

GangsterOnBoats

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Apr 19 2012, 06:50 PM)
QUOTE (Nate1647 @ Apr 19 2012, 06:45 PM)
Taurus pedals in the chorus?

yes.gif

Possibly, but overt keyboard sounds are still sorely missed by me. They only add grandeur and spaciousness, something that can only add. We'll probably never get them back, not really...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 19 2012, 11:21 PM)

yes.gif

Possibly, but overt keyboard sounds are still sorely missed by me. They only add grandeur and spaciousness, something that can only add. We'll probably never get them back, not really...

I agree there. Keys add so much atmosphere to a record. Even minor keys the way they used them on Counterparts for example. At least it seems we might have our guitar solos back somewhat. The HF guitar solo is the best solo Alex has done since probably the Cut To The Chase solo.(although I like HF solo better)

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 19 2012, 11:21 PM)

yes.gif

The synth era submergence of his guitar contributions damaged Alex's love of using keyboards in their music.

HELL YEAH!!!

Yeah, it's a pretty fine time to be a Rush fan tongue.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 19 2012, 10:31 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Apr 19 2012, 09:28 PM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 19 2012, 10:25 PM)
QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Apr 19 2012, 08:37 PM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Apr 19 2012, 09:37 PM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 19 2012, 10:32 PM)
QUOTE (Animate @ Apr 19 2012, 06:22 PM)
Led Zeppelin is the correct reference point for all things related to heavy music: hard rock, metal or otherwise.

Led Zeppelin is not metal, heavy or otherwise.

I think they were involved in the origin of metal. They are on the path of its origin for sure. Cmon.

yes.gif

They had moments that might be some form of light metal, but they were few and far between. They get lumped in with the metal crowd because of their image and the timing of it all. Seriously, look at the track list of Zeppelin IV, there's nothing metal there. Black Dog, maybe. Maybe. Hard rock, not metal. The first two albums were more blues rock than anything else, Zeppelin III was a solid hard rock album... too much of their catalog is non-metal for the band as a whole to be called metal, IMO.

Have a listen to South Bound Saurez and Hot Dog tongue.gif

Honestly... Immigrant Song is an outlier, not representative of most of their sound. Heck, Immigrant Song wasn't even representative of the album it was on.

immigrant song is one of the worst zepp tunes. i absolutely hate listening to that song.

I agree somewhat, but it's a song that a lot of people point to when they say Zeppelin was a metal band.

It's odd that a "Headlong Flight" thread has become an "is-it-metal-or-not-and-was-Led-Zeppelin-metal-too?" thread, but good points all around. Was LZ metal? Nah. Did they inspire Metal? You bet. So Did Rush. So will Rush when some kid hears "Headlong Flight" and cranks it up a notch.

I like it. It is a killer jam song. Melodic? No not really. I have listened to it 5 times through my bose buds from the RS site. I refuse to give any sonic impressions until I have the CD in my hands and playing on both my high end home system and my bose in the car. I think it is downright dumb for anyone to give true sonic impressions from a compressed to death stream.

As far as the song overall I think it is a nice throwback with lot's of passages reminding me of Bastille day and By Tor and Snow Dog. Neil is attacking his drums again and Geddy sounds amazing both on the bass and some of his vocal acrobatics. Alex sounds good. Nothing crazy nor hair raising. I am hoping we here some classic Alex like solo's and phrasing on some of the other tracks.

Another thing too is this is clearly part of a massive suite. There is going to be 12 tracks (be it BU2B 2 looks like a quick passage/transisiton piece) and this will probably sound even better once I have the clear feel for the entire groove and direction of the album. The lyrics are very visual and also harken back more to the 74-82 era.

Overall a good song. I feel Caravan and BU2B are better overall songs in that they have better hooks and melody. As far as chops and riffs this song is a killer track and fun to listen to.

Being totally honest I have heard far better from Rush over the last 31 years being a fan of this great band. I can name several better songs off Snakes and Arrows than Headlong Flight (Armor and Sword, Far Cry, Working them Angels and The Way The Wind Blows to name some) but the song is a good time and i can hear the band having a lot of fun, being loose and just jamming again. Rush has strived for songs for so many years following Hemispheres, I think they took a different approach to this record. I think it will be a lot of jamming, showing off and riffage galore. Which is fine as live it will be KILLER!!!!!

I have never felt they laid some bad top to bottom stinker albums, stinker songs....yes every band has them and Rush has a handful of dreck. I am looking forward to just taking in this entire suite of songs, digesting the riffs, lyrics and everything going on as a Rush record normally needs some time to listen to and digest.

I just can't wait till November 3 in Tampa. Already making my travel plans!

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Apr 19 2012, 11:43 PM)
Led Zeppelin is the correct reference point for all things related to heavy music: hard rock, metal or otherwise.

I think they were involved in the origin of metal. They are on the path of its origin for sure. Cmon.

yes.gif

They had moments that might be some form of light metal, but they were few and far between. They get lumped in with the metal crowd because of their image and the timing of it all. Seriously, look at the track list of Zeppelin IV, there's nothing metal there. Black Dog, maybe. Maybe. Hard rock, not metal. The first two albums were more blues rock than anything else, Zeppelin III was a solid hard rock album... too much of their catalog is non-metal for the band as a whole to be called metal, IMO.

Honestly... Immigrant Song is an outlier, not representative of most of their sound. Heck, Immigrant Song wasn't even representative of the album it was on.

immigrant song is one of the worst zepp tunes. i absolutely hate listening to that song.

I agree somewhat, but it's a song that a lot of people point to when they say Zeppelin was a metal band.

It's odd that a "Headlong Flight" thread has become an "is-it-metal-or-not-and-was-Led-Zeppelin-metal-too?" thread, but good points all around. Was LZ metal? Nah. Did they inspire Metal? You bet. So Did Rush. So will Rush when some kid hears "Headlong Flight" and cranks it up a notch.

Don't want to be left out of a quote tunnel where I am in the center looking like an idiot!

Led Zeppelin is not metal by any stretch of the imagination, too much blues and acoustics and not enough speed or aggression.

But they are a great reference point to compare other forms of hard music (e.g. guitar/bass/drum riff-driven hard rock and heavy metal) because they excelled at it. Plus their influence on Rush is undeniable.

Frankly, Metal Evolution aside, I don't consider Rush to be Metal either. But the love that series gave Rush was heart warming enough for me to wish I did.

QUOTE (Todem @ Apr 20 2012, 12:01 AM)
I like it. It is a killer jam song. Melodic? No not really. I have listened to it 5 times through my bose buds from the RS site. I refuse to give any sonic impressions until I have the CD in my hands and playing on both my high end home system and my bose in the car. I think it is downright dumb for anyone to give true sonic impressions from a compressed to death stream.

As far as the song overall I think it is a nice throwback with lot's of passages reminding me of Bastille day and By Tor and Snow Dog. Neil is attacking his drums again and Geddy sounds amazing both on the bass and some of his vocal acrobatics. Alex sounds good. Nothing crazy nor hair raising. I am hoping we here some classic Alex like solo's and phrasing on some of the other tracks.

Another thing too is this is clearly part of a massive suite. There is going to be 12 tracks (be it BU2B 2 looks like a quick passage/transisiton piece) and this will probably sound even better once I have the clear feel for the entire groove and direction of the album. The lyrics are very visual and also harken back more to the 74-82 era.

Overall a good song. I feel Caravan and BU2B are better overall songs in that they have better hooks and melody. As far as chops and riffs this song is a killer track and fun to listen to.

Being totally honest I have heard far better from Rush over the last 31 years being a fan of this great band. I can name several better songs off Snakes and Arrows than Headlong Flight (Armor and Sword, Far Cry, Working them Angels and The Way The Wind Blows to name some) but the song is a good time and i can hear the band having a lot of fun, being loose and just jamming again. Rush has strived for songs for so many years following Hemispheres, I think they took a different approach to this record. I think it will be a lot of jamming, showing off and riffage galore. Which is fine as live it will be KILLER!!!!!

I have never felt they laid some bad top to bottom stinker albums, stinker songs....yes every band has them and Rush has a handful of dreck. I am looking forward to just taking in this entire suite of songs, digesting the riffs, lyrics and everything going on as a Rush record normally needs some time to listen to and digest.

I just can't wait till November 3 in Tampa. Already making my travel plans!

Yep agree totally.

Recording this in between back to back tours means that it will all be soundcheck jams and riffs galore.

With Nick waiting in the studio wrap it all up into some

serious sounding tracks.

The iTunes version of the single (just downloaded it) is 199% better than the stream and I'm sure the CD will be even better.

As for the live versions......that's where these songs will take a deep breath and jump for joy.....

Can't wait.

QUOTE (Bastille Dave @ Apr 20 2012, 05:58 AM)
well, this just slays BU2B and Caravan. I hope the rest of the album is as good as this. Best thing I've heard from Rush in I don't know how long.

i wouldnt say it slays bu2b which is an awesome track but it defo on a par in a much different way i get your enthusiasm and i luv this thread smile.gif

Edited by lifeson90

QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 19 2012, 10:54 PM)
QUOTE (Union 5-3992 @ Apr 19 2012, 10:49 PM)
I hope this is the worst song on the album. (I mean this in a good way)

You an Iron Maiden fan? I have been less then impressed by their output since Brave New World. Haven't heard the new one yet though.

There's a certain spark to Brave New World that's missing from the other post-reunion albums... however, there aren't any BNW epics that stand up to Dance of Death, For the Greater Good of God, Starblind, and When the Wild Wind Blows.

Getting back to Headlong Flight, that there's some debate about categorizing a Rush song is nothing new. This time around, it's a combination of:

• hard rock
  • jam band
  • prog
  • light metal
Whatever you want to call it, I like its relentless energy and busyness. It's so over the top that my wife said they come off as old guys trying to sound young. Even if they are, it's still awesome.

I've been listening to it for a day-and-a-half, but I feel I'm still in the first impressions phase because there's so much going on in this song. The drumming is especially insane... seems like Neil Peart (with Nick Raskulinecz's prodding) decided to stop playing in such a restrained way and finally go all out.

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Apr 19 2012, 10:43 PM)

yes.gif

After 47 pages, a little back and forth about the mighty Led Zeppelin is okay tongue.gif lol

Back to your regularly scheduled program...

is it OK to say I can't stand Metallica?

as one friend of mine said "any art they come up with is entirely by mistake and not design"

Lars is terrible.

The best (relative term) period was Ride the Lightning etc...

Just never understood all the thrill over that headache producer.

QUOTE (druid13 @ Apr 20 2012, 06:39 AM)

as one friend of mine said "any art they come up with is entirely by mistake and not design"

Lars is terrible.

It's okay to say that. I can't stand them, either.

For me, although "Headlong Flight" seems to in a sense "borrow" some riffs from their past (which I think is on purpose, considering the song really sounds like they are looking back on their career, they'd "live it all again"), it really seems to be some incredible musicianship in comparison to the double single in '10. BU2B lies solely on 2 notes for the most part, and Caravan plays down the chromatic scale for goodness sake. I think the bass playing is fantastic but the riffing just lacks any stimulation. Anyone agree, or am I just blabbering about nothing?

QUOTE (druid13 @ Apr 20 2012, 07:39 AM)

Lars is terrible.

Although I can't stand Metallica, I wouldn't say Lars is terrible (although I would like to say that), just because we still have all the other crappy drummers in the world. He can keep a beat, but the main issue is that Lars thinks he is better than he actually is, which is why I don't respect him as a great drummer. It all kind of falls back on the pride issue I think.

As for the rest of the band, I think they fail in lack of originality. Yes, they sure can play fast, but all they do is play up the pentatonic scale- five notes effectively.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 20 2012, 08:40 AM)
QUOTE (druid13 @ Apr 20 2012, 06:39 AM)

Lars is terrible.

The best (relative term)  period was Ride the Lightning etc...

It's okay to say that. I can't stand them, either.

facepalm.gif

Even if people really hate their more recent material, or if they hate Lars as a human being, I still find it difficult to imagine that people can't appreciate everything from Kill 'Em All to the Black Album.

Meh, but what do I know...I'm one of the 5 people that actually LOVE 'Load' and 'ReLoad'. ph34r.gif

QUOTE (GangsterOnBoats @ Apr 20 2012, 07:45 AM)
QUOTE (druid13 @ Apr 20 2012, 07:39 AM)

Lars is terrible.

The best (relative term)  period was Ride the Lightning etc...

Although I can't stand Metallica, I wouldn't say Lars is terrible (although I would like to say that), just because we still have all the other crappy drummers in the world. He can keep a beat, but the main issue is that Lars thinks he is better than he actually is, which is why I don't respect him as a great drummer. It all kind of falls back on the pride issue I think.

As for the rest of the band, I think they fail in lack of originality. Yes, they sure can play fast, but all they do is play up the pentatonic scale- five notes effectively.

actually he pulls the time constantly.....and resorts to the same fills all the time...

Hey Lars...playing two bass drum hits ( like the end of a triplet) before hitting the snare and crash together got old a looooonnnnggg time ago.

And its so easy any beginner can play it.

I always preferred Anthrax from that era...Charlie could play and the band never sounded like they were plodding along from mistake to mistake and calling it a song...like Metallica usually does.

QUOTE (GangsterOnBoats @ Apr 20 2012, 07:42 AM)
For me, although "Headlong Flight" seems to in a sense "borrow" some riffs from their past (which I think is on purpose, considering the song really sounds like they are looking back on their career, they'd "live it all again"), it really seems to be some incredible musicianship in comparison to the double single in '10. BU2B lies solely on 2 notes for the most part, and Caravan plays down the chromatic scale for goodness sake. I think the bass playing is fantastic but the riffing just lacks any stimulation. Anyone agree, or am I just blabbering about nothing?

i wanna say you just blabbering about nothing but you obviously genuine and feel strongly about what you believe so maybe its just a personal thing coz i think its brilliant rush in every way smile.gif

by the way you may be spot-on about some of the sounds being retro due to the nature of the lyrics i hadnt considered that.

Edited by lifeson90

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 19 2012, 09:32 PM)

goodpost.gif You know what drives me insane ? When people call Zep Metal . Look up Black Sabbath and Deep Purple , that is Metal. Zep was a Blues Rock band . You people are killing me comp26.gif

QUOTE (Animate @ Apr 20 2012, 12:06 AM)
Frankly, Metal Evolution aside, I don't consider Rush to be Metal either. But the love that series gave Rush was heart warming enough for me to wish I did.

Go to any book store that has a music section. If they have a book on the history of H.M., you will find Rush in it yes.gif

QUOTE (GangsterOnBoats @ Apr 20 2012, 07:42 AM)

I would say the definitely were infuenced by themselves on this song, but the music was largely written before the lyrics. I do find the guitar riiffs stimulate me. But yeah, the musicianship is amazing, so it wasn't all blabber tongue.gif trink39.gif