OH MY GOD!

GangsterOnBoats

QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 19 2012, 01:28 PM)
Oh and the tempo question has never arisen with me, tempo has never been a factor in whether I like or dislike a song, whether it's rock, jazz, metal, blues or whatever. What matters is whether it's a good song or a bad song or something in the middle.

For instance take a classic heavy metal album like Dio's Holy Diver, the song with the fastest tempo Stand Up and Shout is good, but it's nowhere near the best song on the album, it's probably in the bottom three out of nine, why? Because the other songs are just better quality songs, tempo never enters into the discussion. The slowest tempo on the album is featured on Shame on the Night which to my mind blows Stand Up and Shout away.

This whole tempo debate is fairly ridiculous and I never heard anyone complain about it before S&A.  confused13.gif

I think it's fair to ask for some contrast. I can totally live without it and not complain, but hey, I sympathize with the idea that it wouldn't have hurt for S&A to have ONE up-tempo piece. Contrast is pretty much always a good thing.

Edited by Steel Rat

QUOTE (Steel Rat @ Apr 19 2012, 03:44 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 19 2012, 01:28 PM)
Oh and the tempo question has never arisen with me, tempo has never been a factor in whether I like or dislike a song, whether it's rock, jazz, metal, blues or whatever. What matters is whether it's a good song or a bad song or something in the middle.

For instance take a classic heavy metal album like Dio's Holy Diver, the song with the fastest tempo Stand Up and Shout is good, but it's nowhere near the best song on the album, it's probably in the bottom three out of nine, why? Because the other songs are just better quality songs, tempo never enters into the discussion. The slowest tempo on the album is featured on Shame on the Night which to my mind blows Stand Up and Shout away.

This whole tempo debate is fairly ridiculous and I never heard anyone complain about it before S&A.  confused13.gif

I think it's fair to ask for some contrast. I can totally live without it and not complain, but hey, I sympathize with the idea that it wouldn't have hurt for S&A to have ONE up-tempo piece.

"Far Cry" unsure.gif

I find it interesting that Headlong Flight was the last song written for CA. Does that mean this monster almost didn't make the record? Wow. If there are better songs than HF and the first two singles we are in for a treat.

QUOTE (Ovningskora @ Apr 19 2012, 02:56 PM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 19 2012, 12:35 AM)
QUOTE (Ovningskora @ Apr 19 2012, 01:02 AM)
QUOTE (Steel Rat @ Apr 18 2012, 09:58 PM)
I like it, I wouldn't say it's a step up or a step down from S&A. I definitely wouldn't say that it's "Like By-tor" or it's "Rush getting back to their roots," it's just a naturally developed new Rush song. The over-reaction from the community is making me feel like this:  eh.gif

I agree. It's the hype.

This song very much reminded me of Armor and Sword as well.

One of the funniest things I've read on here. Armour and Sword couldn't carry Headlong Flights jockstrap. And this is coming from someone that likes Armour Sword.

Hey! Look:

>@steelrat: I agree. It's the hype.

And:

>This song very much reminded me of Armor and Sword as well.

Are separate thoughts!

>@steelrat: I agree. It's the hype.

I know for fact people were wetting themselves over Caravan for the first few days it was released, Not a whole lot of praise is going on over it now. Give it a week or two - or much better yet a few years, and then tell me where you think HF stands.

>This song very much reminded me of Armor and Sword as well.

While I listened to HF I was reminded me of A&S. That doesn't mean I'm comparing the two structurally or otherwise like so many have misinterpreted eyesre4.gif

But I could!

I don't know what kind of detail we want to get into here, but hopefully we can leave it at 2012 Rush sounds more like 2007 Rush than it does 1977 Rush.

No praise for Caravan now? What? Did you see my poll from a few days ago. Over 90% positive for Caravan. That's one of the reasons I started those two polls. To see where those two still stood in the eyes of Rush fans.

39 User(s) are reading this topic (24 Guests and 2 Anonymous Users):

EmotionDetector, druid13, treeduck, Ovningskora, gornhay, snowdog2112, Steel Rat, FountainOfSyrinx, GeddyRulz, gerg58mi, Presto-digitation, RUSHFREAK101, Vaporush

Have we set the wheels in motion again?! ohmy.gif

(Lots of GUESTS though!)

QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 19 2012, 03:17 PM)
QUOTE (druid13 @ Apr 19 2012, 03:11 PM)
and speaking of melodies.....Xanadu...?

Yeah there is one you can whistle on your way to work....sheesh.

I can whistle Headlong Flight pal!

tongue.gif

why of course...because despite people saying there is no melody there actually is melody. Now I have to get out my metronome and check the BPMs for Caravan and BU2B...make sure they are in line.

Who is the braided girl anyway?

QUOTE (druid13 @ Apr 19 2012, 03:20 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 19 2012, 03:17 PM)
QUOTE (druid13 @ Apr 19 2012, 03:11 PM)
and speaking of melodies.....Xanadu...?

Yeah there is one you can whistle on your way to work....sheesh.

I can whistle Headlong Flight pal!

tongue.gif

why of course...because despite people saying there is no melody there actually is melody. Now I have to get out my metronome and check the BPMs for Caravan and BU2B...make sure they are in line.

Who is the braided girl anyway?

It's YOU in another universe. Yes out there somewhere is a universe where you are that girl! And Steel Rat is desperately trying to get a date with you! ohmy.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Apr 19 2012, 01:59 PM)
I'm not singling out you Geddyrulz as you clarified your point with more details specifically about A&S but just in general I don't get it.

Well, thanks, because really I get it. I'll be the first to tell people SPEED isn't what makes something "metal," HEAVINESS is, and what makes something "heavy" is usually SLOWER tempos like in "Tom Sawyer." Ever hear the original version of "Tom Sawyer," at about twice the speed? It doesn't have nearly the heavy power of the slower version which made the album.

I think my problem with S&A is that too many songs were mid-tempo, and the slower tempos didn't make them HEAVY, in my opinion, but gave the album an overall dullness.

I think my problem with "Armor and Sword" is that it's not only mid-tempo, it's PLODDING... which, for people who aren't getting me, means it trudges forward with slow, heavy steps, and is unexciting and (especially after six minutes) monotonous. "Armor and Sword," to my ears, is all of those things. It's really tedious to get through, in my opinion. I suppose there IS a slight change in tempo and in key between the verses and choruses, but it's so slight that they sound no different to me... resulting in a full 6.5 minutes of sameness. schla03.gif

Edited by GeddyRulz