OH MY GOD!

GangsterOnBoats

Kind of confused, you guys sure there is a CD quality version out there? The highest bit rate of the stream was 160

What is the source of the CD quality version (was it released on Amazon, iTunes or a CD single).

I'm always suspicious of transcodes.

Edited by Mr. Henry Gale

No surprise - the Brit Patrol on Counterparts all hate it. They have a reputation to uphold, of course.

I thought they had me there for a minute.

I gave this tune a listen earlier on in the day and I was less than blown away.

After Caravan and BU2B, could they possibly have disappointed me with a lack luster follow up single?

Of course not.

I listened to it for the second time 3 hours later, and then I got it. It all made sense.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR JUNE 12th!

QUOTE (deslock @ Apr 18 2012, 11:43 PM)
I'm blown away.  Studio album lead-off singles since I became a fan as a kid:

• 1987 Time Stand Still: Meh. Where's the jamming? 3 stars.
  • 1989 Show Don't Tell: The song starts off well with an exciting and energetic riff, but the horrible choruses and cheesy keyboards made me cringe. Was initially 3.5 stars, but dropped over time to 2.5 stars.
  • 1991 Dreamline:  Blew me away the first time I heard it. The "We Are Young" chorus is a bit annoying, but it's bearable.  I remember recording it from FM radio and copying it to both sides of a tape so I could listen to it over and over (what we had to resort to before the world-wide-web, MP3s, and streaming). 4 stars.
  • 1993 Stick it Out: Incredible riff, but more cringe inducing choruses and the way Geddy yelps "swallow your tongue" makes me want to shoot myself. 2.5 stars.
  • 1996 Test for Echo: Fantastic music.  Horrible lyrics ("tough talking hood boys"... really?) and awkward singing ("Test. For. Echo.").  2.5 stars.
  • 2002 One Little Victory: Pretty good comeback, but the backing vocals and pseudo-yodeling detracted from it. 3 stars.
  • 2007 Far Cry:  Awesome. Still some *slightly* cheesy singing and keys. Until today, it was the best lead-off single since I became a fan.  4 stars.
  • 2010 Caravan: Not sure I should count this, but anyway it was edgier than they'd been in a long time.  Pretty cool riff, but not quite as much hook as Far Cry and overall seemed like a bit of a mess (BU2B is better).  3.5 stars.
  • 2012 Headlong Flight:  Holy Crap!  3 parts Rush + 1 part Foo Fighters = Pure Awesome.  No crappy, awkward, cheesy singing or lyrics, lots of hook, great bass groove, very catchy.  This is hands down the best lead-off single since I got into Rush as a kid. 4.5 (possibly 5) stars.
On a side note, parts of the Headlong Flight (listen to 4:00 and 4:40) sound very similar to Foo Fighters recent song "Bridge Burning" (which was recorded in 2010 and released in 2011, but interestingly enough that's one of the Foo Fighters album that wasn't done with Nick Raskulinecz).

Very interesting comparison you did there, and I agree with a lot of it.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 18 2012, 09:23 PM)
QUOTE (Riv @ Apr 18 2012, 11:02 PM)
!!!

Whoa, Riv! You come back after a long absence, and THAT'S your post???

What'd we do to deserve the third exclamation point? common001.gif

rofl3.gif

QUOTE (troutman @ Apr 18 2012, 10:49 PM)
!!!

rofl3.gif

Riv isn't the only one. LOTS of cool peeps that haven't posted here in a long time have crawled out of the woodwork for this thread. yes.gif trink39.gif bekloppt.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 18 2012, 10:51 PM)
QUOTE (troutman @ Apr 18 2012, 10:49 PM)
!!!

rofl3.gif

Riv isn't the only one. LOTS of cool peeps that haven't posted here in a long time have crawled out of the woodwork for this thread. yes.gif trink39.gif bekloppt.gif

Goober, please accept my apologies in advance, but...

If Grizz stops in and posts in this thread, then this song must be damn good!

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 18 2012, 09:40 PM)
OH MY GOD! (Pages 1 2 3 ...36 )
LISTEN TO HEADLONG FLIGHT NOW!!!!

Replies: 711 - Views: 16,232

Pretty big numbers for a thread that's just over 14 hours old.

I know, crazy.

tl;dr.

I listened to it, I liked it.

Sounded pretty modern, reminded me of Primus at times, or even a slower old-school Blind Guardian at parts. At the same time I felt a bit disappointment, I don't know what I was expecting. I know it's stupid and illogical of me, but I was comparing the Caravan / BU2B / Headlong Flight to songs from Signals. Yeah, strange, It's actually kind of embarrassing to share that. Comparing it to S&A / VT - It's pretty improved. I hope there's a good song or two on the album that captures the heaviness & spunk this CA style is introducing as well as the beauty of The Way The Wind Blows or Resist.

I'm really going to have to wait for the album, I'll just listen to HF a few more times first though.

Here's some more analysis from me:

I've said before that I'm tired of repetitive minor pentatonic riffs, that still comes into play here. Repetitive minor pentatonic = totally not trying to be creative, but it gets people to say ":haz: This freaking rocks! It's got balls! Rush is back to jamming again! 1022.gif" and I don't buy it.

At the whole "Some days were dark" section, it's pretty awesome, the bassline is great, best thing about the song. It's absolutely a highlight from this era of Rush.

At "I stoke the flame of the big steel wheels," it sounds exactly like "Confused alarm of struggle and flight" from "Armor and Sword." Just sayin.

I like it, I wouldn't say it's a step up or a step down from S&A. I definitely wouldn't say that it's "Like By-tor" or it's "Rush getting back to their roots," it's just a naturally developed new Rush song. The over-reaction from the community is making me feel like this: eh.gif

Edited by Steel Rat

QUOTE (Steel Rat @ Apr 18 2012, 09:58 PM)
I like it, I wouldn't say it's a step up or a step down from S&A. I definitely wouldn't say that it's "Like By-tor" or it's "Rush getting back to their roots," it's just a naturally developed new Rush song. The over-reaction from the community is making me feel like this: eh.gif

I agree. It's the hype.

This song very much reminded me of Armor and Sword as well.

I think I've identified what makes this song stand out for people more than anything on S&A: it's double-time. Everything on S&A was mid-or-low-tempo, this song is faster than all of S&A. I don't know if that means anything to anyone, just throwing that out there. trink39.gif

Much prefer this to anything on Snakes and Arrows, I just love how Rush soak up the influences of relevant bands of the time..this time round I'm hearing the Foos, a little Tool and a big fat helping of Rush circa 76 courtesy of the wah wah tastic lead break from Lerxt..Two thumbs fresh from me

653.gif

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 1287.gif 1287.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif

Words escape me right now new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif