OH MY GOD!

GangsterOnBoats

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Apr 18 2012, 08:46 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Apr 18 2012, 09:35 PM)
QUOTE (exiled yorkie @ Apr 18 2012, 08:32 PM)
It's a great song but Geddy's voice is shot

that's funny, i thought he sounded incredibly strong and couldn't believe some of the notes he was hitting. almost like he got his voice box repaired.

That's what I think too...

Ged sounds great. Those high 'again' notes that he hits are awesome! 1022.gif

I know. When I first heard the song I thought Ged might be too ambitious vocally as far as having to sing this song every night of a tour.

QUOTE (thizzellewashington @ Apr 18 2012, 08:50 PM)
I at least get most of the complaints about this song, but "Geddy's voice is shot" is a joke.

goodpost.gif

Geddy's voice sounds great!

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Apr 18 2012, 08:35 PM)
As a matter of fact:

Anyone complaining about anything on this song should be strung up, gutted, ground up, stuffed into their own stomach, roasted like haggis, fed to a hog and shit out into a pig pen so they'll shut the f**k up & not be a debbie downer.

This song kicks ass. Don't start complaining ya whiney bitches.

I'd like to make a distinction here...

I'm one who is a little bit disappointed by the song, but have absolutely nothing but admiration and praise for the effort that they put into it.

In other words, I'm thrilled to death that they haven't hung it up yet, that they are ON FIRE in this song, that they are playing really well, that Alex plays an unbelievable solo, that Geddy's bass is amazing, that Neil is back to his fast and furious self, and that I'll be enjoying seeing them on tour again. THANK YOU RUSH for giving us another album to enjoy!

That being said...I don't think that all of those awesome elements have come together as well as they have in the past, and I kinda thought that they would, based on the thirty second clip. I like the song. I just don't love it, and I thought I would.

Perhaps it will grow on me.

No matter what, though, I still say I am glad Rush is back! yes.gif

2.gif

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ Apr 18 2012, 08:53 PM)
I at least get most of the complaints about this song, but "Geddy's voice is shot" is a joke.

goodpost.gif

Agreed. The part where he goes "I wish that I could live it all AGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNN!" just gives me goosebumps.

LIke it or not like it, remember, it's probably the final song of the suite, maybe like the 2112 grand finale. So, let's wait to hear the other songs as part of this suite concept, then better judge this song in context when we hear the whole album.

For me, it just sounds wild. Sounds like 3 guys having a great time. They're loving playing this, so I can't argue with that. They don't make music for me...they make it for themselves.

I like the song for what it is, not what I expected it to be or wish it could be. It's a great wild, fun, high energy, smoking number and for guys nearing 60 able to put out a song like this is just incredible.

From the net, I've heard comments from "sounds like someone took a crap" to "this is the best thing since the wheel".

One man's garbage is another man's..........

Take it or leave it.

3 down......9 more to go.

I'M STOKED!

And yeah, I like it. 1022.gif

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Apr 18 2012, 08:57 PM)
QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ Apr 18 2012, 08:53 PM)

goodpost.gif

Agreed. The part where he goes "I wish that I could live it all AGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNN!" just gives me goosebumps.

yes.gif One of the best moments in the song.

QUOTE (exiled yorkie @ Apr 18 2012, 05:55 PM)
It is only my opinion and I did say it was a great song regardless, dont get ones knickers in a twist. God forbid I express an opinion which goes against the grain.

Your entitled to your opinion,

But saying Geddy's voice is shot is utterly insane. wink.gif

Yeah, I at least understand the complaint (because I notice it too, in places) about the vocal phrasing not being melodic enough but as far as the actual strength and quality of Geddy's voice, it sounds fricking amazing. It's not that you can't have your own opinion about it but it just sounds shocking to me to say his voice is shot. It would be like hearing this same song and saying that it sounds like Geddy can barely play his bass anymore. It's almost hard to take it seriously.

QUOTE (exiled yorkie @ Apr 18 2012, 08:32 PM)
It's a great song but Geddy's voice is shot

I printed this out on the finest card stock and took a piss on it!!

Geddy dug deep into the Rocket Sauce for this one and his cup, umm, his lungs over-flow-eth!!!

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Apr 18 2012, 09:07 PM)
Yeah, I at least understand the complaint (because I notice it too, in places) about the vocal phrasing not being melodic enough but as far as the actual strength and quality of Geddy's voice, it sounds fricking amazing. It's not that you can't have your own opinion about it but it just sounds shocking to me to say his voice is shot. It would be like hearing this same song and saying that it sounds like Geddy can barely play his bass anymore. It's almost hard to take it seriously.

Yeah, exactly. Some of the vocal melodies here are a little wonky, but his voice itself sounds fabulous!

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 18 2012, 08:39 PM)
Oh great, here we go again. Any minute now, the people who find fault with the song are going to come back and complain that they're being stifled or some such thing. We just did five pages of that, do we need to rehash it? Let people complain if they want. Their opinions are as valid as ours, as long as they're not trolling.

First reasonable post I've seen here in quite a while. Exactly what I've been saying and I'm basically just attacked for.

Message boards are for people to talk and share opinions. Well there isn't only positive opinions in the world. If someone says they don't like something, move right along. Don't go calling them trolls or tell them their opinion sucks or that they have bad taste because none of that is true.

But the fanboys turn into 10 year olds and just pounce on everyone. Ive seen people here make 15 posts about how much they like it. I made 3 about a couple things I didnt like and I had 10 people tell me I was an idiot. If there were mods here disciplining people it would be a friendlier place but instead it's just a witch hunt.

QUOTE (g under p @ Apr 18 2012, 07:53 PM)
I think I've listened to it atleast 10 times in row now...can't get enough of it. Pissed though on their tour starting in Manchester NH Sept. 07 they will ONLY make one stop in Florida and that's in Tampa. angry.gif

Well that's a 4 hour drive to Tampa last time they came through it was 10 minutes In WPB and 40 mins in Sunrise. So I gather I'm due for a long trip and they didn't play Tampa on their last tour.

Peace

Wow, you're lucky. Where I live it's always at least a 5 hour drive to the closest show to me.

tongue.gif

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ Apr 18 2012, 09:09 PM)
QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Apr 18 2012, 09:07 PM)

Yeah, exactly. Some of the vocal melodies here are a little wonky, but his voice itself sounds fabulous!

Yeah I said earlier his vocal quality itself is about as much as you can ask for from a 58 year old guy. You cant compare it to when he was 25, that's just not fair and impossible for him to sing like that, so the quality itself isnt an issue at all for me.

What bugs me is that this was originally written as an instrumental and it should have stayed that way IMO. The music is fine, but the vocals just dont work for me at all. They dont flow well, they sound very disjointed and awkward, and there's no real catchy melodies, not to me anyway, just sort of him kind of singing some lyrics but they dont sound well crafted.

It's a fair complaint and obviously Im not the only one that noticed this. We should be allowed to discuss there here like normal adults without being attacked.

QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 18 2012, 09:12 PM)
Oh great, here we go again. Any minute now, the people who find fault with the song are going to come back and complain that they're being stifled or some such thing. We just did five pages of that, do we need to rehash it? Let people complain if they want. Their opinions are as valid as ours, as long as they're not trolling.

First reasonable post I've seen here in quite a while. Exactly what I've been saying and I'm basically just attacked for.

Message boards are for people to talk and share opinions. Well there isn't only positive opinions in the world. If someone says they don't like something, move right along. Don't go calling them trolls or tell them their opinion sucks or that they have bad taste because none of that is true.

But the fanboys turn into 10 year olds and just pounce on everyone. Ive seen people here make 15 posts about how much they like it. I made 3 about a couple things I didnt like and I had 10 people tell me I was an idiot. If there were mods here disciplining people it would be a friendlier place but instead it's just a witch hunt.

trenken...

I know you're not thrilled about the melody in the song, and I agree with you somewhat.

That being said, from what I've read in your previous posts, I'm guessing that you are a bass player. How do you like Geddy's playing in HF? To my ears he sounds amazing.

Is it as good as his best stuff?

QUOTE (Captain Avatar @ Apr 18 2012, 09:18 PM)

trenken...

I know you're not thrilled about the melody in the song, and I agree with you somewhat.

That being said, from what I've read in your previous posts, I'm guessing that you are a bass player. How do you like Geddy's playing in HF? To my ears he sounds amazing.

Bass playing? It rules. I mean of course for me personally it's not on the same level as what he was doing on Power Windows which will always remain my favorite bass playing Rush album, with HYF a close second, but for a harder edge style in a period where he's more about just aggressively pounding out solid bass lines using his flamenco style rather than very jazz styled precise playing, it's rock solid.

Ive said before I think the music is fine. Im not into the soft rock section in the song, but everything else sounds good to me. The only complain I had was the vocals, not the quality of them, the melodies. That's all.

To little surprise...this song has continued to get better in my ears with each passing listen.

Unbelievable. Yet again, these guys prove that there is no limit to how good they can be.

I hope that between this album, and hopefully a serious kick ass tour...that the boys are energized and amped to possibly hit the studio at least once more! They still have it.

QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 18 2012, 09:22 PM)

trenken...

Bass playing? It rules. I mean of course for me personally it's not on the same level as what he was doing on Power Windows which will always remain my favorite bass playing Rush album, with HYF a close second, but for a harder edge style in a period where he's more about just aggressively pounding out solid bass lines using his flamenco style rather than very jazz styled precise playing, it's rock solid.

Ive said before I think the music is fine. Im not into the soft rock section in the song, but everything else sounds good to me. The only complain I had was the vocals, not the quality of them, the melodies. That's all

That's cool.

I love his playing on PoW and HYF too, which is why I couldn't believe how the documentary portrayed Geddy as having basically abandoned the bass in the "synth" 80's. I thought his bass reached new heights.

To my ears, his playing on CA sounds more precise in nature (a la Hemispheres) and less flamenco, which I like.

QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 18 2012, 06:22 PM)

trenken...

Ive said before I think the music is fine. Im not into the soft rock section in the song, but everything else sounds good to me. The only complain I had was the vocals, not the quality of them, the melodies. That's all.

WTF? It's not like Geddy is twenty five all over again. Jut feel fortunate enough that the band still kick a** and give us great music! biggrin.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Apr 18 2012, 06:23 PM)
To little surprise...this song has continued to get better in my ears with each passing listen.

Unbelievable. Yet again, these guys prove that there is no limit to how good they can be.

I hope that between this album, and hopefully a serious kick ass tour...that the boys are energized and amped to possibly hit the studio at least once more! They still have it.

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif 2.gif trink39.gif

Listened about 20 times. WOW

I'm not going to address the haters because they dont' even deserve this band lol.

I am just blown away, Neil is hitting like they're recording Fly By Night again. I think he's FINALLY getting the definition he's been striving so hard to get in the studio, kudos to Nick and Neil for their VERY apparent efforts to getting the absolutely best drum sound we've ever heard from Neil.

Alex once again finds the absolute perfect tone for the job, and finally gets back into the forefront. I have a feeling he is going to rock the f*ck out on this one live, and that solo, is he 58 or 18?

Geddy by far takes the cake though. The bass playing is absolutely monstrous. Heavy and melodic at the same time, as he is so famous for. Some of those bass lines in the "some days were dark" section are really reminiscent of "The Analog Kid" I think. Walking with some unconventional notes tossed in just cause he can. The singing is where he really stepped it up. The best he's sounded in (dare I say) 20 years? I think those are his best vocals since Presto. Idk how he's going to pull it off every night of the tour, but he sure laid it down for us all in the studio! Truly stoked to see what he brought out for the rest of the album!

Speaking of the "some days were dark" section, does that just sound like f*ckin rush or what? I cannot wait for this album!

QUOTE (Captain Avatar @ Apr 18 2012, 09:29 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 18 2012, 09:22 PM)

trenken...

Ive said before I think the music is fine. Im not into the soft rock section in the song, but everything else sounds good to me. The only complain I had was the vocals, not the quality of them, the melodies. That's all

That's cool.

I love his playing on PoW and HYF too, which is why I couldn't believe how the documentary portrayed Geddy as having basically abandoned the bass in the "synth" 80's. I thought his bass reached new heights.

To my ears, his playing on CA sounds more precise in nature (a la Hemispheres) and less flamenco, which I like.

I think people said that just because the synths were so much in the forefront. Anyone that plays bass or even just listens to him closely can hear how busy he was on those albums. It really started with Signals. At the end of The Weapon he does a bunch of quick little runs which continued on through PoW and HYF, and ended with Presto. Everything on Presto is very easy to play except for that little solo he does in Show Dont Tell, so he really started to simplify his playing then.

I think now Im just more about the songs rather than the playing. He can play 5 notes as long as the song itself is crafted in a great way. Its the reason why I cant even listen to bands I used to love like Dream Theater. Their bass playing is so much more complex and difficult than Rush ever was, and I cant even stand it anymore. It's such a chore to play that Id rather just hear a great song instead of any sort of pointless wankery so Im not even a DT fan at all anymore.

Thats why vocal melodies are so important to me now. I dont care what Geddy is doing on the bass if I think the melodies over it suck.

Edited by trenken