OH MY GOD!

GangsterOnBoats

I'm still in a state of shock and must have listened to HF around 20 times now.

Having now been a fan for 25 years I have to say this is the best thing they have done in decades.

To me it touches on all the aspects of their sound that made me a fan in the first place, complex and a challenging listen but at the same time it has hooks that non musicians can appreciate.

Alex has re-discovered his 70's style and Peart is playing like a man half his age.

Bass wise Geddy is killing it and had me reaching for my Geddy Lee Jazz bass as soon as I got in last night to cop his licks once more.

Vocally he nigh on gets into shriek mode and his holding of the sustained note near the close of the track gives me chills in the same way Freewill's "Each of us..." lyric still does every time I hear it.

And a huge tip of the hat has to go to producer Nick for encouraging them to embrace their past while pushing them foward,

A bonafide classic, this is truly what we have craved so long from our favourite three men of Willowdale.

QUOTE (darth by tor @ Apr 19 2012, 08:17 AM)
Having now been a fan for 25 years I have to say this is the best thing they have done in decades.
To me it touches on all the aspects of their sound that made me a fan in the first place, complex and a challenging listen but at the same time it has hooks that non musicians can appreciate.
Alex has re-discovered his 70's style and Peart is playing like a man half his age.
Bass wise Geddy is killing it and had me reaching for my Geddy Lee Jazz bass as soon as I got in last night to cop his licks once more.
Vocally he nigh on gets into shriek mode and his holding of the sustained note near the close of the track gives me chills in the same way Freewill's "Each of us..." lyric still does every time I hear it.
And a huge tip of the hat has to go to producer Nick for encouraging them to embrace their past while pushing them foward,
A bonafide classic, this is truly what we have craved so long from our favourite three men of Willowdale.

goodpost.gif

Agreed, all around.

Here Here I agree and well put.

I can't stop listening my ears are now getting clogged.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Apr 19 2012, 08:39 AM)
what's commercial radio?

It's what existed before the Clear Channel mobsters took over the Business. 062802puke_prv.gif

yes.gif

Well put, perhaps they saved the best for last? 2.gif

OK, so I've listened to Headlong Flight about 20 times now, and it's grown on me a LOT. I really, really like it! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

But I do see how radio stations will want to edit it. Quite frankly, there's a lot that could/should be edited, as it's fairly redundant in places. The last 60 seconds, IMO, could be cut. The band has been making a habit of putting in redundant verses/choruses at the end. It's just not necessary, IMO.

The official lyric video really compliments the song. The nostalgic theme, the B/W images.....it's GREAT..... 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (canadianice @ Apr 19 2012, 08:49 AM)

Well put, perhaps they saved the best for last? 2.gif

Yes. This is what I was unable to vocalize.

The official video. Great sound. Great visuals even when expanded to full screen on my 27 inch monitor. It's a great way to enjoy the song.

About 24 hours later the song continues to grow on me. I can't wait to see it live. I'll be at the St. Louis (on my birthday!) and Atlanta shows for sure.

I know the song is part of the story, but I agree with those that say it seems to be about Rush as well. I think the song will live on as Neil's commentary on their career more than the story aspect especially when listened to as a stand alone song.

This is a great example of the band firing on all cylinders at the same time. When you add the lyrics and visuals in the video it makes the whole 38 years of the journey seem so epic.

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z437/drbirdsong/HeadlongFlightVideo.jpg

QUOTE (g under p @ Apr 18 2012, 05:53 PM)
I think I've listened to it atleast 10 times in row now...can't get enough of it. Pissed though on their tour starting in Manchester NH Sept. 07 they will ONLY make one stop in Florida and that's in Tampa. angry.gif

Well that's a 4 hour drive to Tampa last time they came through it was 10 minutes In WPB and 40 mins in Sunrise. So I gather I'm due for a long trip and they didn't play Tampa on their last tour.

Peace

At least they are playing somewhere near you, they've forgotten the entire lower mountain /midwestern area pretty much. The closest for me is Arizona.

The song KICKS ASS!! 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Apr 19 2012, 08:11 AM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Apr 19 2012, 07:31 AM)
People...start trying to request HF on your local radio stations!

Rush must be heard!  1287.gif

While I agree this song must be heard, i'm not sure if the people who regularly listen to the classic rock station in my area are worthy of hearing it.

If listeners are too busy requesting Stairway to Heaven and Free Bird, then they DON'T deserve any new Rush.... laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Apr 19 2012, 09:48 AM)
I think I've listened to it atleast 10 times in row now...can't get enough of it. Pissed though on their tour starting in Manchester NH Sept. 07 they will ONLY make one stop in Florida and that's in Tampa. angry.gif

Well that's a 4 hour drive to Tampa last time they came through it was 10 minutes In WPB and 40 mins in Sunrise. So I gather I'm due for a long trip and they didn't play Tampa on their last tour.

Peace

At least they are playing somewhere near you, they've forgotten the entire lower mountain /midwestern area pretty much. The closest for me is Arizona.

Fear not, they haven't forgotten - they'll get it on the 2013 Summer leg.

New member here so thought I would chime in on the new single HF. I agree with a lot of member in that this song is high energy, kicks some serious butt and truly rocks. Neil, and Geddy and seriously hitting on all cylinders and I love that Neil has found his drums rolls again and they so compliment this song. I dont know about other Rush fans but for me I am always watching out for what Alex is going to do on guitars that will just blow me away. So what is Alex doing here? I mean I love the main riff and how it meanders throughout the song but is it only me that isnt as impressed with the solo? I mean he starts to shred a bit and thats good to see that he still has it but where are the atmospherics he is known for? I keep waiting for an awesome atmospheric solo that when you hear them it just makes you smile and say "This is why I so love Rush" I thought as I continued listening to the song I was going to hear some during the "Big steel wheel" break or something cool near the end but alas it was not to be. I know Alex said at one point he was done with solos and was interesteed in more group organic solos but I sure miss them. The last one that had a wiff of it was possibly Earthine but it was so brief if you blinked it was gone. I know they are getting back to hard driving straight ahead rock and roll which is cool..... I just miss the cool textures Alex would paing a song with. Hopefully there will be some of that on the rest of the album......Not hating... just an observation.

QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Apr 19 2012, 09:48 AM)

Peace

There is still "Hope" for Novemebr 2nd at Cruzan Amphitheater in West Palm. Nothing booked there yet! but yes I'm with you I'm looking at a 4 hour drive to Tampa from Miami!

sad.gif

QUOTE (Merc2112 @ Apr 19 2012, 10:44 AM)
New member here so thought I would chime in on the new single HF. I agree with a lot of member in that this song is high energy, kicks some serious butt and truly rocks. Neil, and Geddy and seriously hitting on all cylinders and I love that Neil has found his drums rolls again and they so compliment this song. I dont know about other Rush fans but for me I am always watching out for what Alex is going to do on guitars that will just blow me away. So what is Alex doing here? I mean I love the main riff and how it meanders throughout the song but is it only me that isnt as impressed with the solo? I mean he starts to shred a bit and thats good to see that he still has it but where are the atmospherics he is known for? I keep waiting for an awesome atmospheric solo that when you hear them it just makes you smile and say "This is why I so love Rush" I thought as I continued listening to the song I was going to hear some during the "Big steel wheel" break or something cool near the end but alas it was not to be. I know Alex said at one point he was done with solos and was interesteed in more group organic solos but I sure miss them. The last one that had a wiff of it was possibly Earthine but it was so brief if you blinked it was gone. I know they are getting back to hard driving straight ahead rock and roll which is cool..... I just miss the cool textures Alex would paing a song with. Hopefully there will be some of that on the rest of the album......Not hating... just an observation.

What's up wall o' text? hehe

Who knows, he's older now. None of them are writing the same way as they did when they were in their 20's and 30's. That was a very long time ago when he was writing those solos you're talking about.

Just like people change, so does the music they write so they're just in a different place. On this track he just felt the need to shred for a few seconds and that's it.

QUOTE (Merc2112 @ Apr 19 2012, 11:44 AM)
New member here so thought I would chime in on the new single HF.  I agree with a lot of member in that this song is high energy, kicks some serious butt and truly rocks.  Neil, and Geddy and seriously hitting on all cylinders and I love that Neil has found his drums rolls again and they so compliment this song.  I dont know about other Rush fans but for me I am always watching out for what Alex is going to do on guitars that will just blow me away.  So what is Alex doing here?  I mean I love the main riff and how it meanders throughout the song but is it only me that isnt as impressed with the solo?  I mean he starts to shred a bit and thats good to see that he still has it but where are the atmospherics he is known for?  I keep waiting for an awesome atmospheric solo that when you hear them it just makes you smile and say "This is why I so love Rush"  I thought as I continued listening to the song I was going to hear some during the "Big steel wheel" break or something cool near the end but alas it was not to be.  I know Alex said at one point he was done with solos and was interesteed in more group organic solos but I sure miss them.  The last one that had a wiff of it was possibly Earthine but it was so brief if you blinked it was gone.  I know they are getting back to hard driving straight ahead rock and roll which is cool..... I just miss the cool textures Alex would paing a song with.  Hopefully there will be some of that on the rest of the album......Not hating... just an observation.

Hello Mr New Guy and welcome to TRF. trink39.gif

You bring up something and I will have to revisit this. Neil does play harder and more but the old fills of yore, the rolls down and back up, aren't as prevalent. Instead he seems to play the snare much more. Neil's drum high tom tones have been quite crappy for about 10 years now, IMO, but there is a newness to them this round.

Edited by Gompers

I don't know if Alex was saying he was done with solos...

I think what he meant was he felt wanking was not appropriate on the VT album due to the nature of the music and subject matter....

QUOTE (druid13 @ Apr 19 2012, 10:54 AM)
I don't know if Alex was saying he was done with solos...

I think what he meant was he felt wanking was not appropriate on the VT album due to the nature of the music and subject matter....

No they said at that time that solos were really not popular anymore. Rush has always reflected whats going on around them. When rock bands generally stopped soloing, so did Rush. They talked about that in interviews.

When music switched from the 80s to alternative with Pearl Jam and Nirvana, Counterparts comes out. 2000s solos really were not considered cool, Vapor Trails comes out, no solos.

I think at this point now rock music is heading in all different directions. Simple rock bands out there, along with complex stuff like Mars Volta, so I guess they're just doing whatever they want now. Alex felt like shredding so he did. No atmospheric solo there like Limelight. Thats just what he chose.

QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 19 2012, 10:47 AM)
QUOTE (Merc2112 @ Apr 19 2012, 10:44 AM)
New member here so thought I would chime in on the new single HF.  I agree with a lot of member in that this song is high energy, kicks some serious butt and truly rocks.  Neil, and Geddy and seriously hitting on all cylinders and I love that Neil has found his drums rolls again and they so compliment this song.  I dont know about other Rush fans but for me I am always watching out for what Alex is going to do on guitars that will just blow me away.  So what is Alex doing here?  I mean I love the main riff and how it meanders throughout the song but is it only me that isnt as impressed with the solo?  I mean he starts to shred a bit and thats good to see that he still has it but where are the atmospherics he is known for?  I keep waiting for an awesome atmospheric solo that when you hear them it just makes you smile and say "This is why I so love Rush"  I thought as I continued listening to the song I was going to hear some during the "Big steel wheel" break or something cool near the end but alas it was not to be.  I know Alex said at one point he was done with solos and was interesteed in more group organic solos but I sure miss them.  The last one that had a wiff of it was possibly Earthine but it was so brief if you blinked it was gone.  I know they are getting back to hard driving straight ahead rock and roll which is cool..... I just miss the cool textures Alex would paing a song with.  Hopefully there will be some of that on the rest of the album......Not hating... just an observation.

What's up wall o' text? hehe

Who knows, he's older now. None of them are writing the same way as they did when they were in their 20's and 30's. That was a very long time ago when he was writing those solos you're talking about.

Just like people change, so does the music they write so they're just in a different place. On this track he just felt the need to shred for a few seconds and that's it.

I will have to space out my text next time.... definitely as noob move...lol