OH MY GOD!

GangsterOnBoats

i hate you tas7 you're one of those bstard rush haters who just wanna bring the band down for the rest of us everything you say is negative ive seen your type before and you should all be banned how can you live with yourself i'll bet your mum is ashamed of you go away and dont come back with your repetitive mindless hating bullshit!

wink.gif

Edited by lifeson90

OK, WOW just effin WOW!!!!

This IS the best, hardest most kick ass 2.gif we've heard in a long long time. If you listen, you can hear snips of riffs from ages gone by, seconds and song bytes from more recent chords and melodies too, seemingly like parts of an homage to 2.gif gone by, and mostly 2.gif reborn!

And oh yeah I don' know n I don' care how I'm gonna do it, but I'm doin that preorder your 2.gif shiznit from the UK early mofos!!

HEY WHEN'S THE TOUR?

oh and I saw your pbj comments too YES, my tongue is stuck to the roof of my mouth now, that's how grand and powerful this track is played FULL VOLUME rofl3.gif

Edited by BeOhBe Bob

QUOTE (lifeson90 @ Apr 20 2012, 07:16 PM)
i hate you tas7 you're one of those bstard rush haters who just wanna bring the band down for the rest of us everything you say is negative ive seen your type before and you should all be banned how can you live with yourself i'll bet your mum is ashamed of you go away and dont come back with your repetitive mindless hating bullshit!

wink.gif

I dont appreciate negativity for its own sake, but a bit harsh words, dont you think?

Don't get me wrong the first two minutes are Rush at their best, after that it sort of meanders too much for me. It will be interesting to hear the radio edit to see if it sits better. I'm not analyzing it as a musician but as a listener of Rush over 33 years.

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Apr 21 2012, 01:22 AM)
QUOTE (lifeson90 @ Apr 20 2012, 07:16 PM)

wink.gif

I dont appreciate negativity for its own sake, but a bit harsh words, dont you think?

I believe this was posted as a joke, because tas7 asked people not to have a go at him for his opinion smile.gif

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Apr 20 2012, 07:20 PM)
Does anyone else here think we over analyze and over criticize sometimes? Not saying you have to be a fan boy, but come on......we Rush fans can get pretty nit picky!

Huh, ya think??? rofl3.gif

Not all, but many. I think most are just fans, but there are a few here who get a little over zealous with their dissections.

QUOTE (tas7 @ Apr 20 2012, 07:36 PM)
Don't get me wrong the first two minutes are Rush at their best, after that it sort of meanders too much for me. It will be interesting to hear the radio edit to see if it sits better. I'm not analyzing it as a musician but as a listener of Rush over 33 years.

Interesting... I felt that way about most of their lead off singles since the late 1980s: Show Don't Tell, Stick it Out, Test For Echo, and One Little Victory all start off well, but then something in the middle of the songs (usually the vocal arrangements and/or lyrics) drags them down.

Dreamline and Far Cry are very strong songs, but even they have a little of that (the "We Are Young" chorus and how Geddy sings "the way we thought we'd share it"). Caravan is a good song and it doesn't suffer from these problems, but overall it doesn't quite come off enough to stand out.

Headlong Flight is the first lead off single that I feel is amazing in its entirety:

• Lots of relentless, fun, energetic drumming.
  • Sick bass lines.
  • Kickass guitar riffs.
  • Excellent, passionate singing without any awkward choruses.
  • Insightful, meaningful lyrics.
  • Catchy melodies and hook.
  • Interesting prog elements interlaced throughout.
  • Lead-rhythm interplay between instruments.
  • Never loses momentum.
They've outdone themselves, and it's not the usual "OMG new Rush song!" euphoria. After three days of listening, it still doesn't drag at any point (I don't remember the last time a 7:20 song went by so quickly).

I am ready for the entire album. I want to hear this in the context of the entire suite.

I have a great feeling we are in for something special with this album.

Edited by Todem

Does anyone else here think we over analyze and over criticize sometimes? Not saying you have to be a fan boy, but come on......we Rush fans can get pretty nit picky!

It's music. There's no such thing as over analyzing. People are still picking the Mona Lisa to death. Isn't it somewhere around 500 years old? Some think it's one of the finest things ever created by human hands, other think its just a picture of an ugly woman.

One guy says this is Rush at the best, I'm personally hearing a band that has no ability to write a good song anymore. No love lost, everyone's just sharing opinions so it's ok to pick music apart to death. What else are we going to do here? If we didnt over analyze this site would be useless to me. All the important info I need I can get from the real site, rush.com. We come here to discuss things noone outside of Rush fans care to discuss.

Deslock,agree with you.I was happy with Caravan and BU2B because for the first time in ages there are no weak bits and the vocals don't sound like Geddy is singing from a textbook.

Just not sure about Headlong Flight, have had BU2B in my head all week,at first I thought it was an 'ordinary' Rush song but it has grown on me.

QUOTE (BeOhBe Bob @ Apr 20 2012, 07:17 PM)
If you listen, you can hear snips of riffs from ages gone by, seconds and song bytes from more recent chords and melodies too, seemingly like parts of an homage to 2.gif gone by, and mostly 2.gif reborn!

Yes! I'm working on learning the bass line and I've found bits of Freewill, YYZ and others in there.

Of course the guitar has a bit of Bastille Day and at one point I even hear a part from Mal Nar.

I'm sure there's lots more I'm missing.

QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 21 2012, 07:00 AM)
People are still picking the Mona Lisa to death. Isn't it somewhere around 500 years old? Some think it's one of the finest things ever created by human hands, other think its just a picture of an ugly woman.

So what are you saying, that Headlong Flight is an ugly woman? wink.gif common001.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 21 2012, 08:00 AM)
Does anyone else here think we over analyze and over criticize sometimes?  Not saying you have to be a fan boy, but come on......we Rush fans can get pretty nit picky!

It's music. There's no such thing as over analyzing. People are still picking the Mona Lisa to death. Isn't it somewhere around 500 years old? Some think it's one of the finest things ever created by human hands, other think its just a picture of an ugly woman.

One guy says this is Rush at the best, I'm personally hearing a band that has no ability to write a good song anymore. No love lost, everyone's just sharing opinions so it's ok to pick music apart to death. What else are we going to do here? If we didnt over analyze this site would be useless to me. All the important info I need I can get from the real site, rush.com. We come here to discuss things noone outside of Rush fans care to discuss.

No ability to write a good song anymore? NONE? NADA? NOTHING?

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 21 2012, 08:29 AM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 21 2012, 07:00 AM)
People are still picking the Mona Lisa to death. Isn't it somewhere around 500 years old? Some think it's one of the finest things ever created by human hands, other think its just a picture of an ugly woman.

So what are you saying, that Headlong Flight is an ugly woman? wink.gif common001.gif

Yup, thats what he is saying.

QUOTE (andrew28 @ Apr 20 2012, 03:00 PM)
Pardon me if I missed this amid the 50 or so pages in this string, but do you think that the spoken word section in the middle that talks about "....I'd do it all over again..." are Freddy Grubers?

In the press release, Neil attributes that line to Freddy (who said it when he was reminiscing among friends and former students). It would be cool if that gathering of folks had been recorded/documented and Neil added it to the song to honor Freddy.

Just a thought. I'm sure some here will disprove it some how ("I isolated the spoken word part and ran it through a filter, then played it in reverse, increased it to 353 mhz and then re-reversed and I can say with 98.0889% certainty that the voice is none other than Terry Brown.")

smile.gif

Well, MiTA's (that's "Music In the Abstract" for the uninitiated, seeing as how we have a number of new members and bunches of guests) website has a clip of Geddy doing the "Roll The Bones" rap in his normal everyday Geddy-voice, prior to the filtering etc.

So if the answer to the Headlong Flight spoken-word question shows up anywhere, it'll likely be MiTA that has it. My money's on Geddy.

*Actually, it sounds rather like South Park's Satan.

After a few more listens, I'll be honest this song isn't really doing it for me. The slow chorus doesn't flow too well, and the vocal lines don't stand out much at all throughout the song....the solo is good, and their are some cool bass and drum moments.... Edited by WCFIELDS

QUOTE (tas7 @ Apr 21 2012, 01:36 AM)

goodpost.gif

+1 (replace 33 years by 28 years ...)

Yet ... still towering far above Caravan and BU2B ... and most of S&A (which wasn't half bad!)

Great merger of Bastille Day, Far Cry, Test for Echo, and half of Vapor Trails. Geddy's bass and Neil's fiills are unbelievable.

Somebody get me into a time capsule and catapult me to early June!!! Please!!!

Edited by barchetta90480

QUOTE (barchetta90480 @ Apr 21 2012, 05:14 PM)
QUOTE (tas7 @ Apr 21 2012, 01:36 AM)

goodpost.gif

+1 (replace 33 years by 28 years ...)

Yet ... still towering far above Caravan and BU2B ... and most of S&A (which wasn't half bad!)

Great merger of Bastille Day, Far Cry, Test for Echo, and half of Vapor Trails. Geddy's bass and Neil's fiills are unbelievable.

Somebody get me into a time capsule and catapult me to early June!!! Please!!!

I want to join you in that capsule!

Whew! Finally caught up with this thread!

I was actually on another band's messageboard Wednesday night and noticed somebody'd posted in a thread about Rush. The post had the leaked tourdates and a link to Headlong Flight on RollingStone.com. Thinking it was just the 30-second clip, since the song wasn't supposed to debut until Thursday, I clicked on it and soon went "Holy ****, this is the whole song! So yeah, I'm a traitor, and I'm not going to forget where I first heard it! blush4.gif

So what do I think? I love it! Geddy's voice sounds beautiful to my ears, and like many here, I've had it in my head a lot since I first heard it, so it's catchy enough for me. I love the crisp bass over the distorted guitar. The change two minutes in keeps things interesting. The lyrics are very positive, and while I initially got an impression they're starting to tell us goodbye, on further thought, I can amend this to "their career is so long and storied, they're naturally going to be reflective". Many even earlier songs (TSS for example) have had this same quality.

The 30-second clip had a "Driven" feel to me, but I got a bit of Earthshine out of the full song. Did any of you who heard them practicing some potentially new music in soundcheck on the TM tour hear any of it in HF?

Lastly, given the song's original title, who thinks there'll be audience members wearing lampshade hats (or just lampshades) during this song on the CA tour? laugh.gif