Album length

Gilbertk

Caravan - 5:40

BU2B - 4:21

Headlong Flight - 7:20

Unknown song - 10:00+ (mentioned in interviews)

So far that's 4 tracks adding up to 27:21. If the 8 remaining tracks are just 4 minutes each (unlikely) then that means the album will come in around one hour. If each song is a more realistic 5:30 (somewhere between 5 and 6 minutes) the album could very well be over 70 minutes.

This has me really excited! Before this morning I was expecting 7 or 8 tracks, was anyone else surprised to find 12 in the track-listing??

I'm not surprised that there are 12 songs since the last two had 13 each. Some of these might not be full length songs though. There could be a a few short instrumentals like Hope or MalNar on it. Edited by J2112YYZ

Originally I thought it'd be like this.

8 songs

Caravan

BU2B

A short song (just above 4 minutes) similar to The Mars Volta (first album)

A seven minute song similar to Tool (with intense drumming at the end, Neil surprises us with something insane)

A 5 minute song (this will be the filler track that is still good, kinda like a modern Entre Nous

A 5 minute song similar to something from S&A

A 6 minute instrumental

A 12 minute epic kinda like a modern Xanadu, with a surprisingly beautiful intro (unlike anything Rush has ever done, almost post-rock style)

Now I would go with this (all tracks will hopefully segue together):

1. Caravan

2. BU2B

3. Clockwork Angels-an 8-12 minute epic that would be like a modern Xanadu but with a shorter intro

4. The Anarchist-another song similar to BU2B but with a Mars Volta like middle-section, about 4-5 minutes in length

5. Carnies-a 2-4 minute instrumental similar to Malignant Narcissism but with twisted Carnival music

6. Halo Effect-I think this will be a slow but surprisingly beautiful song, about 4-6 minutes long

7. Seven Cities Of Gold-a mainly instrumental song ala Jacob's Ladder, but only 3-5 minutes

8. The Wreckers-this song will be something like Tool, or A Perfect Circle, about 4 minutes

9. Headlong Flight-this is gonna be badass, a mini-epic with typical 2.gif frenzy 7-8 minutes

10. BU2B2-another mainly instrumental song but this will be acoustic, kinda like the bookends of Pink Floyd's Animals, about 2 minutes

11. Wish Them Well-a beautiful song (with the lyrics tributed to Freddie Grueber) about 4-5 minutes long

12. The Garden-a 6 minute epic and unexpected ending

That makes about a little more than an hour, not bad 1022.gif

Edited by Good,bad,andrush

I have no problem with shorter albums. Quality is far more important than quantity. One feeling I don't want to have is that of "OK, this song is going on too long." Songs like Freeze and The Way The Wind Blows were like that.

QUOTE (darth by tor @ Apr 11 2012, 11:32 AM)
Both amazon and Rush backstage have the album up for pre-order at $19.99.
Based on this price point amount of tracks, previous interview snippets of "Suites" and "Epics"......I think that we may be getting a DOUBLE concept album! 1022.gif

That would be great...BUT...I doubt it.

I'm pretty sure that if it were to be a double-album, it would be mentioned in the press releases. It's a pretty big selling point.

I could be wrong...but that's what I think anyways.

I actually kind of liked "We can only blow the way the windows"....

Freeze wsa good too but wore on you after multiple listenings.

QUOTE (EveryNerveAware @ Apr 11 2012, 11:51 AM)
There might be a short instrumental in there as well to bring down the average of the remaining songs.

True. But if it doesnt include a Rickenbacker, it will seem a lot longer than it is.

I think they length concept will be very similar to SnA.. a couple or three instrumentals, with one of them being short. I seriously doubt there's anything like Hope on the new album. That just seemed like a one time deal to me. However, I could be completely wrong. It's impossible to try and predict the album. I'd say close to an hour is about right. all I know is that it comes out on june 12th, and HF is awesome (so far) !

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Apr 11 2012, 08:41 PM)
I expected 12 songs, one for each hour on a clock face.

Ah, good point neighbor. Embarrassed to admit I didn't see that as a fellow UOVAR alumus! I should have made that connection.

I say 60-70 minutes. If it was a double album they would have announced it. Any more than 70 minutes on a single CD and compression gets a little too high.