If Rush played the super bowl..

The Owl

A fun little thread... The superbowl halftime show this year probably dosen't have many fans around here.... and all of our dream acts for the SB would be Rush....

Just for a second assume that Pigs flew and Rush were the Super Bowl halftime act... what would their setlist be... or what would you like it to be...

The last few halftime acts have lasted between 15 and 18 minutes... so keep it within that time frame..

1. Limelight/SoR/CttH/YYZ/Freewill/2112overture-temples - 1 of the "Other Big Hits" are in... It could be any (most likely SoR)

2. Tom Sawyer- I think would the the only "sure fire" song...

3. A Medley of some sorts, that would be a mix of 1 or 2 of the aforementioned songs (in the #1 catagory), and 1 or 2 of the "lesser but still popular" rush songs. (The Trees/Subdivisions/Fly By Night..etc)

Edited by The Owl

TSOR

2112: Overture/Temples/Grand Finale

TS in the middle if there's time, not because it's the best but because it's a hit.

The Pass, Time Stand Still and or course Freewill as we Rushians do tend to think..things ; )

btw: just watching with another eye Texans-Bengals game, with some tv dinner commercial breaks (blank screen here)

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jan 7 2012, 06:36 PM)
This is as improbable as watching Alex play in the Doral Classic. but here goes, considering that halftime show is only like 15 minutes, i'd say:

Limelight/Tom Sawyer/ The Spirit of Radio

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

This, with the order flexible.

Superbowl eh? So were talking the same level of quality as when slash went to do the halftime show with the black eyed peas...very well:

Spirit of Radio (abbridged)

Tai Shan

Dog Years

Hope

tongue.gif

No seriously though here's what I could see them playing:

Spirit of Radio

Moving Pictures Medley

2112 Overture/Temples/Finale

Super Bowl....cool.

1) Spirit of Radio to get everyone's attention's attention.

2) Dreamline

3) Territories, which I swear they wrote for an Olympics opening ceremony.

4) Limelight

At least those are on my short list for my daily commute.

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jan 7 2012, 06:36 PM)
considering that halftime show is only like 15 minutes, i'd say:

Limelight/Tom Sawyer/ The Spirit of Radio

as much as we'd like for them to play all of our faves, the fact of the matter is they would play these 3 songs, with a slight chance they might play aboput 30 seconds of Working Man.

First off, this will NEVER happen.

But if it did (after monkeys flew out of my butt and hell froze over), it would doubtlessly be a medley of the following:

Dog Years

Face Up

Virtuality

Tai Shan

I Think I'm Going Bald

Roll the Bones (rap section only) followed by a 12-minute version of Rivendell with new added lyrics in the "fantasy atheism" genre

Limelight at the Super Bowl would be the height of irony.

On the other hand, Roger Goodell could relate to the priests of "The Temples of Syrinx".

I doubt they'd have time for more than 3 songs, if even that. But they'd have to play popular material to ever have any slight chance at the 'bowl. It would be a great way to end their career though.

> Caravan, YYZ, Tom Sawyer. Something like that.

The would play The Fountain Of Lamneth in entirety -OR-

TSOR

Closer To The Heart

YYZ

Tom Sawyer

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 7 2012, 06:19 PM)

But if it did (after monkeys flew out of my butt and hell froze over)

Well, okay....

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd103/laserspray/internet%20stuff/MonkeyAss.png

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd103/laserspray/internet%20stuff/funny-pictures203.jpg

laugh.gif

I think that a medley would be one of the numbers - maybe the R30 one? Spirit of Radio and Tom Sawyer and - if there's time - Limelight.

Not that those would be MY personal choices either, but they'd have to do their best-known songs in that setting.

Edited by HowItIs

They would never be invited to do this, but if they did there wouldn't be anything after Signals.

It would be all of their known songs, abbreviated versions, and definitely no instrumentals. Im going with (in this order):

TSOR

Limelight

Subdivisions

Closer to the Heart

Tom Sawyer

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 7 2012, 08:19 PM)

But if it did (after monkeys flew out of my butt and hell froze over), it would doubtlessly be a medley of the following:

Dog Years
Face Up
Virtuality
Tai Shan
I Think I'm Going Bald
Roll the Bones (rap section only) followed by a 12-minute version of Rivendell with new added lyrics in the "fantasy atheism" genre

If this happens, HyF and RTB will become their best selling albums because of all the pop fanboys buying them. They will then tour with the worst setlist seen in in years because of the sheer amount of tracks from the two albums mixed in with overplayed MP songs. wacko.gif