last movie you watched

sonicjams

Harry Potter And The Philosopher's Stone (8/10)

I got the bluray box set. Love it still!

• Like 1

They're so teeny! Just learning about the acting thing but their cuteness makes up for it.

• Like 2

They're so teeny! Just learning about the acting thing but their cuteness makes up for it.

I watched the documentary that came with the bluray. The kids...all of them...we're so giggly they actually edited scenes from multiple takes just to get the best moments from each. Hence all the rapid cutting from one young actor to the next!

I love this little fact and it's making me watch the film again with fresh eyes.

Also...I really love the first Dumbledore. I think both actors did a good job and somewhere in between the two could have been perfect!

I had such a crush on Emma Watson when this film came out. Amazes me how 15 years later I still fancy Emma Watson (who is a smidgen older than me).

Excellent picture quality on bluray as well.

After Thanksgiving dinner last night I sat down and watched "The Woman Avenger", a 1980 Kung-fu flick starring Hsia Kwan Li. Its sort of your standard "You did (fill in the blank) to me / my (fill in the blank). Now I am going to get justice / revenge / whatever." with a few interesting twists.

It starts out with her riding with her hubby. Its most likely set in China of the 1920's and its made clear that they run a business transporting small & valuable objects. They are clearly recently married and are talking about getting a house and some sort of more stable job plus starting a family. At that point they are attached by 4 masked men who rob them, kill her hubby and rape the leading lady. The rest of the movie goes from there with her attempts to track them down and get revenge.

Parts of the training scenes are corny, most of them are very good. The main villain is sort of corny with his bleached hair. The movie starts soft of slow but takes off part way with some awesome fight scenes. The leading lady I found a very enjoyable character (and easy on my eyes). Overall I enjoyed it a great deal and highly recomend it - then again, I like Kung-fu movies.

• Like 1

Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla

Typical fun and cheesy monster movie.

I remember seeing this one in a small town theater when I was growing up!! Lots of fun.

Interestingly, the theater is still there. Saw the original Star Wars there and last December got to to see the newest Star Wars movie there. Still a cool place to see a movie.

• Like 2

Last night I watched Shaolin Wooden Men, a 1976 Kung-Fu flick starring Jackie Chan. The 1'st half (plus perhaps some) is very good. Then I thought it got a bit slow & went down hill some. The fight at the end was ok however.

The 1'st half had a lot of very good training scenes. Interestingly, although it stars Jackie he only speaks about 2 lines in the movie (all at the end). For almost all the movie many of the characters think he can not speak. Turns out he has taken an oath not to until he has avenged his father.

Basically another good Kung-Fu flick.

• Like 1

Two-fer oldies that I hadn't seen...

Tightrope.

Clint isn't quite Dirty Harry here. He's sleezy and you're just not sure you can trust him completely. That part is refreshing. And though it's nowhere near as good as the original Dirty Harry movie, it IS much better than the final Dirty Harry flick---The Dead Pool.

Grade: B

Falling Down.

It's neither thrilling nor provocative, two things this movie tried to be. It feels like one of the cheesier Jerry Bruckheimer movies...and it kind of is, Joel Schumacher directed this.

Grade: D

Tightrope.

Clint isn't quite Dirty Harry here. He's sleezy and you're just not sure you can trust him completely. That part is refreshing. And though it's nowhere near as good as the original Dirty Harry movie, it IS much better than the final Dirty Harry flick---The Dead Pool.

Falling Down.

It's neither thrilling nor provocative, two things this movie tried to be. It feels like one of the cheesier Jerry Bruckheimer movies...and it kind of is, Joel Schumacher directed this.

Falling Down I thought was a really overrated movie. Nothing going felt real and it had an episodic feel I thought, like one silly event after another.

• Like 1

Tightrope.

Falling Down.

Falling Down I thought was a really overrated movie. Nothing going felt real and it had an episodic feel I thought, like one silly event after another.

Very very true in regards to that 2nd sentence.

• Like 1

Tightrope.

Falling Down.

I felt cheated really as some friends really hyped it up to be something amazing.

I really find though that Hollywood rarely gets mental illness right. Closest for me was Black Swan, and most definitely Silver Linings Playbook (Jennifer Lawrence really connected with me in that role...it was like watching my reflection but female haha).

• Like 1

MV5BYTU2YjNmN2UtMTkyYS00YTFhLWJkM2QtODNhODE0OGQzMDQ3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTA4NzY1MzY@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Great movie!

One of my very favourite movies from my favourite artist of ANY medium. Hayao Miyazaki.

• Like 1

Tightrope.

Falling Down.

I felt cheated really as some friends really hyped it up to be something amazing.

I really find though that Hollywood rarely gets mental illness right. Closest for me was Black Swan, and most definitely Silver Linings Playbook (Jennifer Lawrence really connected with me in that role...it was like watching my reflection but female haha).

Yes, Silver Linings was very well done in that respect. It captured the tension of Bradley Cooper's family, when they didn't know if he was going to have a meltdown, really well.

Doctor Strange. I thought it was just Ok. Nothing spectacular, typical comic book origin story with a dumb arc: Hero is a coward and afraid of death, so he tries to save everyone only to realize you can't cheat death. Eh.

Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Then (10/10)

I left the cinema in tears. I loved this so much and it was even better than I had anticipated.

• Like 1