last movie you watched

sonicjams

The Butler, which uses the true story of a black White House butler to chronicle the progression of civil rights from open lynchings through the election of Barack Obama. Very well done.
  • Like 1

The Butler, which uses the true story of a black White House butler to chronicle the progression of civil rights from open lynchings through the election of Barack Obama. Very well done.

That's with Forrest Whittaker yeah? If so, I thought that was pretty good. Think I gave it a B or B+ grade on here several months ago.

The Impossible.

Very good disaster movie/drama based on the '04 Indian Ocean tsunami. Starring Naomi Watts (excellent stuff...she lost the Academy Award that year to Jennifer Lawrence?!!! Now THAT'S impossible.), Ewan McGregor (reliable as usual), and a very young Tom Holland (good). Mrs. B needed a whole mess of tissues to wipe her tears before finishing this. Worth watching.

Grade: B+

Even though I wanted Chastain to win for ZD30, you're right. Watts has been one of my favorite actresses for years.

Good call on TFA as well. It's like a washed up band that made their best album in years or an actor with their best in years. Think Permanent Vacation by Aerosmith or Rourke and Travolta in Wrestler and Pulp Fiction.

Chastain was quite good in ZD30 too.

Rourke in The Wrestler was an even bigger surprise than Travolta in Pulp I think. Excellent movie with Rourke. Ram!

That's with Forrest Whittaker yeah? If so, I thought that was pretty good. Think I gave it a B or B+ grade on here several months ago.

That's the one.

Just saw the prequel from the world of J.K Rowling..."Tedious Tropes and the Artists That Employ Them".

I love the Potter films, but this was a heavy-handed borefest for me. Two actors provided some good comedy relief (the chubby bloke and the blonde dish), but beyond that, I had to fight to stay awake. Lost the battle a few times.

Others in the theater seemed to enjoy it enough, though.

Edited by goose
  • Like 1

Just saw the prequel from the world of J.K Rowling..."Tedious Tropes and the Artists That Employ Them".

I love the Potter films, but this was a heavy-handed borefest for me. Two actors provided some good comedy relief (the chubby bloke and the blonde dish), but beyond that, I had to fight to stay awake. Lost the battle a few times.

Comment made me :LOL: !

Comment made me :LOL: !

;)

Only because Rowling's Potter series was so good...this seemed mailed in and totally reliant on cgi.

http://static.rogerebert.com/uploads/movie/movie_poster/all-things-must-pass-the-rise-and-fall-of-tower-records-2015/large_large_5JYu2MZaKHVHGQDo8uKo2oB0McO.jpg

This is weird for me to look at considering that there are tons of Tower Records shops out here prospering.

Really? That's cool!

http://static.rogerebert.com/uploads/movie/movie_poster/all-things-must-pass-the-rise-and-fall-of-tower-records-2015/large_large_5JYu2MZaKHVHGQDo8uKo2oB0McO.jpg

This is weird for me to look at considering that there are tons of Tower Records shops out here prospering.

Really? That's cool!

Yeah, I went in one just last week (to check the Rush doc...which wasn't there...yet). I thought I saw some sign fairly recently that said there are about 80-90 shops nationwide. Can't remember the exact number.

• Like 1

Really? That's cool!

Yeah, I went in one just last week (to check the Rush doc...which wasn't there...yet). I thought I saw some sign fairly recently that said there are about 80-90 shops nationwide. Can't remember the exact number.

The movie is quite cool, and ends by saying there are fifty something shops in Japan.

• Like 2

MV5BMTk2NDcyNDE5N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNDA0MzQ1NzE@._V1_UY1200_CR70,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

One of the best movies of the year. Shame on Paramount for not expanding it. Were it not for a local art house theater (Laemmle) near me I wouldn't have been able to see it. Had no idea that was Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn's son as the Pink Floyd fan in the movie.

http://i65.tinypic.com/2czx4e0.jpg

I actually saw the first 10 minutes of this in a screenwriting class at community college a few years ago.

Edited by invisible airwave

Really? That's cool!

The movie is quite cool, and ends by saying there are fifty something shops in Japan.

Saw that on Showtime last Spring. Great documentary. I don't think there are any in SoCal if i'm not mistaken. The closest location that existed near me was in West Covina,CA.

Really? That's cool!

Oh wow. In that case, I think it means two things: (1) My "fairly recently" comment probably wasn't as recent as my memory thought, and (2) there must've been some shop closings since I last saw that sign regarding the number of shops.

The one TR I do go to about twice a month is in Osaka's city center and gets a lot of business. I can't imagine that one closing anytime soon.

An odd two-fer:

(1) Dead Man starring a pre-Pirate Johnny Depp. How many allusions can this movie make?...A James Brown song, other western movie titles, William Blake, etc. It was hard to get through this as everything felt forced. All the major stars (Robert Mitchum, Gabriel Byrne, Alfred Molina, John Hurt, Billy Bob Thornton) in this seemed wasted too. Finally, the Neil Young soundtrack seemed to fit but I didn't know what it was fitting into.

Grade: D

(2) Nosferatu the Vampyre starring Klaus Kinski as a creepy, rat looking Dracula that's sad, lonely, and menacing at the same time. In fact, I much prefer this kind of Dracula/vampire than those of the last 25 years or so that are basically sophisticated seducers that often have lives of decadence. My only complaint with Nosferatu the Vampyre is that it moves too slowly at times.

Grade: B

• Like 1

An odd two-fer:

(1) Dead Man starring a pre-Pirate Johnny Depp. How many allusions can this movie make?...A James Brown song, other western movie titles, William Blake, etc. It was hard to get through this as everything felt forced. All the major stars (Robert Mitchum, Gabriel Byrne, Alfred Molina, John Hurt, Billy Bob Thornton) in this seemed wasted too. Finally, the Neil Young soundtrack seemed to fit but I didn't know what it was fitting into.

(2) Nosferatu the Vampyre starring Klaus Kinski as a creepy, rat looking Dracula that's sad, lonely, and menacing at the same time. In fact, I much prefer this kind of Dracula/vampire than those of the last 25 years or so that are basically sophisticated seducers that often have lives of decadence. My only complaint with Nosferatu the Vampyre is that it moves too slowly at times.

Considering watching DM soon since it's on Showtime streaming. Don't blame you. Jarmusch films aren't for everyone. He is the king of offbeat surreal indie art house movies. Sort of a 2nd tier David Lynch.

220px-At_close_range_poster.jpg

• Like 1

An odd two-fer:

Considering watching DM soon since it's on Showtime streaming. Don't blame you. Jarmusch films aren't for everyone. He is the king of offbeat surreal indie art house movies. Sort of a 2nd tier David Lynch.

220px-At_close_range_poster.jpg

I loved Dead Man, and loved At Close Range as well. I dig off-beat, slow-paced quirky films.

Billy Bob in Dead Man is worth the price of admission.