Metallica - The "Black" Album

Hatchetaxe&saw

QUOTE (Soni @ Aug 15 2011, 08:53 PM)
QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Aug 16 2011, 03:29 AM)
QUOTE (Soni @ Aug 15 2011, 08:06 PM)
That's called artistic integrety.
First 4 albums are brilliant, but they started to suck when began to do what they were told to. (singles, music video, wearing make up...)

Nobody forced them to do anything they didn't already want to do. People are under the assumption that the band wanted to keep writing music like AJFA but then Bob Rock made them change it. The band needed a stylistic change in order to survive and grow, and the response from the songs live during the Justice tour confirmed that need to change.

Enter Sandman and the rest of the songs on TBA were written before Bob Rock was even in the picture. And if a video as graphic and disturbing as One is 'selling out', then holy shit, what the hell ISN'T selling out?

And the makeup was purely the idea of Lars and Kirk, NOT any outside influences. And by the time Load came out, I don't think they had to prove ANYTHING to ANYONE.

Well if you look at Slayer or Anthrax (sorry Megadave, I love you but you also sold out at one point), they always stuck to their guns and now, they enjoy a better reputation.

True they're not as big as Metallica but they kept their credibily.

Just look at Some Kind Of Monster... the label and Rock get in the way of everything!

Are you serious? Anthrax doesn't even have anything close to a good reputation. They've rotated lead singers about half a dozen times. And Slayer's newer albums are as stale as metal can be.

And, if we're on the topic about the makeup, James Hetfield has explained that many times. He said Kirk and Lars had a thing for it at the time and wanted the band to explore their image. Hetfield told them to f**k off, but eventually went along with it to shut them up.

It wasn't a band thing to sell more records. Besides, I'm glad they changed their sound. It would've gotten sooo stale. That's why people always say that Reign in Blood is Slayer's classic. All of their other albums are stale crap, and have been for many years. That one stands out and it was made way back in the day.

I loved Metallica's shift in sound, and it shows how much better they are than bands like Slayer and Anthrax.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been a huge fan since Puppets in '86, but this album really took the wind out of me. TBA has bland riffs, few tempo shifts, few guitar harmonies, and is overproduced. That being said, Metallica did exactly what they set out to do: write more accessible songs. I kinda let 'em off the hook by saying "they sold out commercially, but not artistically". The two all-time classics from TBA are Sad But True and The Unforgiven.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Aug 15 2011, 05:31 PM)
Long time Metallica fan and my favorite album of theirs. All this talk about sell-out and shit like that is abject non-sense. It's an excellent metal album, high on crunch, melody, texture, and a keen sense of structure and arrangement.

Once again Presto, we're in total agreement.

While my favorite album by them always flip-flops back and forth between Ride The Lightning and Master of Puppets, I always loved this album. All of the sellout talk is just the disillusioned fans wanting their favorite band to never change or try something else. Selling out would be remaking Master of Puppets every album since. Justice was a radical change from Puppets, just as Puppets was a change from Lightning. As I have always said when the "sellout" talk starts, Metallica were accused of that since they got on the Elektra label and made Ride the Lightning in 1984, because the hardcore fans now had to share their band with a growing number of people.

I liked that the album wasn't a major time investment, and the sound was much, much better compared to Justice.

20 years? Fukk I'm gettin' old. God I was almost 35 when it came out. Sigh.

Good album but I like the first 4 better, especially Master. It's one of the best 50 albums of all-time for me. St. Anger is the only one of theirs that I don't like.

their first 3 albums were all trendsetting and AJFA was the last of their truly great albums. I was a fan since 1983 so when the Black album came out I liked it but I knew they would never be the same again. After the Load/Reload disasters came out, I had a new appreciation for the Black album. Rob Rock ruined that band, no coincidence that their newer album doesnt have him producing and it is a great modern metal album with old school thrash tendencies.

I got into Metallica when I first heard Fuel a few years ago. I can't say I care too much for any one album of theirs but if I group the songs I like by album, the black album would have the most.

20 years ago... holy crap. I remember the countdown in the record store for the new album and the tour, which rocked balls.

I was taking a recording course at the time, and thought that sonically it was one of the best things I'd heard to date!

I like the songs, and I think it's a good "ROCK" album, and not the heavy metal that Metallica was known for at the time.

Wow 20 years!

I remember being disappointed with this album because Justice was so good. I caught a mini tour they did with Aerosmith, Warrant, and the Black Crowes just before this album came out. Ride, Master, Justice, Meh....They have not captured my interest since 1988.

I feel the album's alright. I really enjoy Enter Sandman & The Unforgiven, but the rest were pretty easy to forget. I prefer Megadeth for thier consistancy and ability to still create stellar albums. Well, TH1RT33N wasn't that great, but Endgame was stellar.

QUOTE (Xanadude69 @ Jan 29 2012, 11:21 PM)
Enter Sandman is one of the best Metallica songs out possibly one of the best metal songs ever.

You can't be serious ? confused13.gif