I think I know why VT isn't a favorite.

D3strukt

QUOTE (Cinderella Man @ Jun 6 2011, 05:00 PM)
I think its an ok CD, not my favorite, but i can still listen to it once in a while. I believe they kinda :rush:ed the CD out from the long break. 5 years is a long time from recording

just my two cents

Good guess, but no. It took them over a year to record it so they obviously didn't rush it.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, VT is a "grower" I hated it at first and put it away for years; take it back out and it sounds like crap; put it away for a few more years. If you can get past the production, which is not easy then the lyrics start to sink in and it does get better. I'm not the first to say that sometimes it does kind of feel like Ged's solo album, but it's hard to distinguish if that's because maybe it's some leftovers or his voice at that time.

You know, Rush has not blown my mind with an album since PoW. That being said, everything they have done since then has had excellent music on it that I love to listen to...RTB notwithstanding.

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jun 6 2011, 08:44 PM)
You know, Rush has not blown my mind with an album since PoW. That being said, everything they have done since then has had excellent music on it that I love to listen to...RTB notwithstanding.

goodpost.gif But I hope CA blows us away. yes.gif

QUOTE (kbomb106 @ Jun 7 2011, 09:05 AM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 6 2011, 09:46 AM)
...or Lager Bowl or...

I'll take my lager in a bowl, thanks. Glasses/mugs just aren't big enough anymore. laugh.gif tongue.gif biggrin.gif

i like a vat or trough of lager.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 6 2011, 02:10 PM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jun 6 2011, 06:42 AM)
I don't get the hate either. confused13.gif At least it doesn't have 062802puke_prv.gif songs like Armor and Sword... wink.gif

I'm assuming by 062802puke_prv.gif you mean their best song since the 80's, which is what A&S is? confused13.gif

VT isn't a favorite because it's just a bad album by regular standards, and an embarrassing and disastrously bad one by Rush standards.

I agree with you about A&S. The song is excellent and easily the best thing they've recorded in over 20 years.

How anyone can use a 062802puke_prv.gif to describe it is beyond me confused13.gif

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jun 7 2011, 09:56 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 6 2011, 02:10 PM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jun 6 2011, 06:42 AM)
I don't get the hate either. confused13.gif At least it doesn't have 062802puke_prv.gif songs like Armor and Sword... wink.gif

I'm assuming by 062802puke_prv.gif you mean their best song since the 80's, which is what A&S is? confused13.gif

VT isn't a favorite because it's just a bad album by regular standards, and an embarrassing and disastrously bad one by Rush standards.

I agree with you about A&S. The song is excellent and easily the best thing they've recorded in over 20 years.

How anyone can use a 062802puke_prv.gif to describe it is beyond me confused13.gif

plodding

QUOTE (kbomb106 @ Jun 7 2011, 08:05 AM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 6 2011, 09:46 AM)
...or Lager Bowl or...

I'll take my lager in a bowl, thanks. Glasses/mugs just aren't big enough anymore. laugh.gif tongue.gif biggrin.gif

laugh.gif Shows you where my head is............

QUOTE (Babycat @ Jun 6 2011, 07:38 AM)
I must be the only one who wub.gif it...

I wub.gif it!

even though is sounds like it's coming from a "wet pillow case."

smile.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 6 2011, 09:51 AM)
QUOTE (Babycat @ Jun 6 2011, 09:38 AM)
I must be the only one who  wub.gif it...

I really like it also, just not the production

loved it but the recording was not their best work. That album is certainly in my top five, it could be the long layoff they had prior to it's release but it really rocks for me. 1022.gif EARTHSHINE 1022.gif

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Jun 6 2011, 11:21 AM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 6 2011, 08:59 AM)
QUOTE (D3strukt @ Jun 6 2011, 08:23 AM)
In reality, Rush really IS a straightforward balls band, even with their synths, and prog eras.

Vapor Trails totally shat on their usual formula. It DEFINITELY is NOT a very accessible album, at all. Complete art rock there. Also probably the most "out there" thing they've ever done. So, that's my theory.

You think Vapor Trails is "out there", the most they've ever done? Listen to a song like Cygnus X-1 and tell me you still think VT is out there. It's pretty much standard issue modern rock. Intro/Verse/Chorus/Verse/Chorus/Bridge/Chorus/End, repeat 13x, yeah thats really out there. >_>

I dont think it really gets edgy at all until maybe nocturne a little bit, and definitely the verses in Freeze. Otherwise its a pretty normal rock album.

I'm WELL aware of Cygnus X-1. It's in regular rotation for me, gets played at least 10 times a day.

And yes, it IS out there for Rush, completely out of the comfort zone, IMO.

Freeze is a f***ing weird song.

Nocturne is a f***ing weird song.

Peaceable Kingdom is a f***ing weird song.

Lots of complex drumming, and riffs, AND vocal melodies.

Try and compare the musicianship of this album to anything of the 90's (sans maybe Counterparts.) and Snakes. You CAN'T. Because they are playing on a completely different level on this album.

Also, did I mention I love Vapor Trails?

I'm with D3strukt. It's a strange, "artsy," and very different album for them.

Trenken may be correct that the song structures are common - ABABCB, and all that - but he's missing the parts that make it a totally unique record in the Rush catalog: the lack of guitar solos, and the layering. No other Rush album sounds like Vapor Trails, and I don't mean because of the "clipping." Layers of guitars enter independently, seamlessly compliment each other despite their different riffs/melodies, and then exit independently; a complicated trick. (The opening of "Ceiling Unlimited," heard on headphones, is the best example of this I can think of.)

It's a unique artistic statement which manages to be hard-rocking as well. Rush took a lot of chances here and pushed the envelope, perhaps for the first time in about 20 years. I can appreciate what they were doing and I commend them for their artistry. Truly artistic musicians don't play it relatively "safe" for twenty years, but until Vapor Trails, Rush did. (Not that I'm knocking all the songs they released during that period.)

QUOTE (Trenken)
I dont think this album is well liked due to there being very little variety on the album. So many of the songs are similar to each other, the album just doesnt feel like an epic journey, it feels very monotonous and dull, not very dynamic, not a lot of ups and downs.

I was so let down by it...

In my opinion, you just described Snakes and Arrows, not Vapor Trails. wink.gif

It seems the whole damn album is in the same plodding, medium tempo. "Armor and Sword," in particular, is six-and-a-half minutes which goes nowhere. Monotonous and dull, indeed.

I love "Far Cry" and the instrumentals are okay, but the rest of the album is "meh" at best.

Edited by GeddyRulz

QUOTE (umoveme @ Jun 8 2011, 06:55 PM)
QUOTE (Babycat @ Jun 6 2011, 07:38 AM)
I must be the only one who  wub.gif it...

I wub.gif it!

even though is sounds like it's coming from a "wet pillow case."

smile.gif

You don't really think the production is good do you ?

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 6 2011, 06:38 AM)
2 reasons why it's not a fan favorite..........

1. It sounds like it was recorded in a wet pillow case
2. People don't like the songs

I think the production is crap which has been typed about on here for years yet I will listen to this album more than "Testicle For Echo."

At least "Vapor Trails" is a sonic blast of f***ing whoop ass.

I love how the record opens up with "One Little Victory." It's like they wanted to say "HELLO EVERYONE! NEIL IS FUKKING BACK!" Love that double bass intro.

Rush are marketing geniuses. They learned all the tricks from KISS.

Just look at them thrive in 2011 and "Clockwork Angels" isn't even recorded yet.

Talk about milking the fans. Good for them. I have awoken from my Raspberry Rush Kool Aid drink. Just doing the Concord show now.

Rush is great, don't get me wrong, but hey, they have made sure that "the meek shall inherit the earth."

Signed,

2112 reasons to still support them.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 9 2011, 07:09 AM)
QUOTE (D3strukt @ Jun 6 2011, 11:21 AM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 6 2011, 08:59 AM)
QUOTE (D3strukt @ Jun 6 2011, 08:23 AM)
In reality, Rush really IS a straightforward balls band, even with their synths, and prog eras.

Vapor Trails totally shat on their usual formula. It DEFINITELY is NOT a very accessible album, at all. Complete art rock there. Also probably the most "out there" thing they've ever done. So, that's my theory.

You think Vapor Trails is "out there", the most they've ever done? Listen to a song like Cygnus X-1 and tell me you still think VT is out there. It's pretty much standard issue modern rock. Intro/Verse/Chorus/Verse/Chorus/Bridge/Chorus/End, repeat 13x, yeah thats really out there. >_>

I dont think it really gets edgy at all until maybe nocturne a little bit, and definitely the verses in Freeze. Otherwise its a pretty normal rock album.

I'm WELL aware of Cygnus X-1. It's in regular rotation for me, gets played at least 10 times a day.

And yes, it IS out there for Rush, completely out of the comfort zone, IMO.

Freeze is a f***ing weird song.

Nocturne is a f***ing weird song.

Peaceable Kingdom is a f***ing weird song.

Lots of complex drumming, and riffs, AND vocal melodies.

Try and compare the musicianship of this album to anything of the 90's (sans maybe Counterparts.) and Snakes. You CAN'T. Because they are playing on a completely different level on this album.

Also, did I mention I love Vapor Trails?

I'm with D3strukt. It's a strange, "artsy," and very different album for them.

Trenken may be correct that the song structures are common - ABABCB, and all that - but he's missing the parts that make it a totally unique record in the Rush catalog: the lack of guitar solos, and the layering. No other Rush album sounds like Vapor Trails, and I don't mean because of the "clipping." Layers of guitars enter independently, seamlessly compliment each other despite their different riffs/melodies, and then exit independently; a complicated trick. (The opening of "Ceiling Unlimited," heard on headphones, is the best example of this I can think of.)

It's a unique artistic statement which manages to be hard-rocking as well. Rush took a lot of chances here and pushed the envelope, perhaps for the first time in about 20 years. I can appreciate what they were doing and I commend them for their artistry. Truly artistic musicians don't play it relatively "safe" for twenty years, but until Vapor Trails, Rush did. (Not that I'm knocking all the songs they released during that period.)

QUOTE (Trenken)
I dont think this album is well liked due to there being very little variety on the album. So many of the songs are similar to each other, the album just doesnt feel like an epic journey, it feels very monotonous and dull, not very dynamic, not a lot of ups and downs.

I was so let down by it...

In my opinion, you just described Snakes and Arrows, not Vapor Trails. wink.gif

It seems the whole damn album is in the same plodding, medium tempo. "Armor and Sword," in particular, is six-and-a-half minutes which goes nowhere. Monotonous and dull, indeed.

I love "Far Cry" and the instrumentals are okay, but the rest of the album is "meh" at best.

VT is about as artsy as a sledgehammer (wrapped in a wet pillow case).