Live releases for Every Tour

The Owl

Since The Test for Echo tour Rush has released a live release (DVD or Album, or Both) for every album cycle, including one for a non album cycle (Not counting "Feedback" as an album cycle, but it did Yield the r30 dvd) and it seems inevitable that we will see another release for the 'Time Machine" Tour...(which is again off a tour not in support of an album)

Now I am not saying anything against the quality of these releases, they are great, but do you think that releasing a live CD or DVD for EVERY tour is a bit of an over-saturation? Back in the day the average live release was about 1 for every 4 or 5 studio albums...... what happened to that formula?

And it's not just Rush, it seems every band is doing it as well.

- Porcupine Tree has released a live release for 4 out of their last 5 album cycles (not including EPs/ Fan Club/ Limited Edition releases)

- Dream Theater has had live releases for 4 out of their 6 last album cycles. Not including numerous live releases from the DT spinoff groups.

- Opeth has had live releases for 3 out of their last 3 album cycles

- Coheed and Cambria has 5 live releases for 5 studio albums (and as of yet not one for their most current album)

- Asia's Live albums outnumber their studio albums

- Don't even get me started on YES and their frequency of Live releases laugh.gif

- Do I need to continue?

So Is it a good thing or a bad thing that the tendency for live releases seems to be "a live release for every tour" vs a "live release every other album cycle or so"

I love the live releases by Rush and the other groups, but I still think that it ruins the allure of a live album or DVD if you are coming out with one for every single tour.

With the popularity and quality of bootlegs, maybe bands simply want a piece of that market. Nothing wrong with "official releases". If you don't want it, don't buy it. Simple as that.

Can you imagine if blu ray technology would have been available in the 70's and 80's. Wow. All those great shows captured in hi def. And not just Rush. Would like to have all those classic performances from various bands. Most bands that put out blu rays now are past their peak as far as the great classic rock bands.

I have most of the DVDs but I never buy the albums. It's cool watching them but when the songs are exactly the same as Studio versions I have no desire to listen to them. I probably will buy the time machine album though because this was my first time seeing rush.

I don't see any reason why they shouldn't release tons of live albums. There's people that will buy everything the band puts out and that's money to be made.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ May 17 2011, 09:57 PM)
I have most of the DVDs but I never buy the albums. It's cool watching them but when the songs are exactly the same as Studio versions I have no desire to listen to them. I probably will buy the time machine album though because this was my first time seeing rush.

I don't see any reason why they shouldn't release tons of live albums. There's people that will buy everything the band puts out and that's money to be made.

Watching the S&A show is great. Listening to it, isn't. I probably won't buy a CD release of the Time Machine Tour, should one be released. If it's included in the DVD package, well then fine.

I think the advent of technology in general has something to do with the possible excess of the live video and audio releases. When some of us were growing up and listening to our favorite bands back in the 70's the media that is available now didn't even exist. I remember when owning a VCR was a big deal after having to save and save to buy one. Then the cost of a tape was such that we didn't even own any for many years, everyone had to rent them because you couldn't afford to buy them. Now we buy a new DVD player for under $30 and a DVD can be an impulse purchase.

The ability to film and produce these are possibly more cost effective for the artists so they are able to take advantage of this. I certainly don't mind and if I love a band I'm one of those who will buy anything they release just to keep my collection complete.

Besides, as some bands are nearing the end of their touring days they (and us) want to capture every moment. Hopefully some day as I'm sitting in my rocking chair at "Shady Pines" I can still enjoy this past Cleveland show and tell all the other old folks, "I was there"

I have all the live albums except for S&A Live. I don't know if I'll ever buy it. It's just too many live albums. The only live albums of theirs I really ever listen to are ATWAS and ESL, and even those rarely.

Seeing them duplicate their songs so closely to the originals in person is actually cool, but it just doesn't translate well to albums. On album it just sounds like copies of their studio counterparts, but more raw and unpolished. The only time I find it particularly interesting is when it's great sound quality and the songs are significantly different than the originals, but it's rare you get those two elements working at the same time.

I have no prob with live releases . Almost all the time ,it's better than the bootleg i would buy wink.gif Plus, some people can't afford tickets for a show,so this is a way to see the tour. Rush should have started this in 1974 Edited by metaldad

I have no problem with it at all. Personally, I think live releases are great. As long as it's put in good quality control, I have no qualms about it. I think if they would do something similar to the King Crimson 'ProjeKct' series, it would end up being pretty good.

Its overkill for me. I didnt buy the last couple. I remember waiting years for the next live rush album/video, and I loved that. Now its just standard issue every tour. I didnt even bother to netflix the S&A one.

QUOTE (nappy2112 @ May 18 2011, 03:43 PM)
I would rather hear a bootleg audio than those fake crowd CD's that S&A Live was.

The DVD's are where the money is at.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ May 18 2011, 11:32 AM)
I like having a video momento of every tour.

My feeling exactly. After all, I go see them live on every tour.... I'm thrilled to be able to collect a concert DVD of every tour. Especially because every tour has at least one tune, that I LOVE seeing/hearing again.

For me, on this tour, it's the Camera Eye

ill take any live album they wanna sell

QUOTE (trenken @ May 18 2011, 02:34 PM)
Its overkill for me. I didnt buy the last couple. I remember waiting years for the next live rush album/video, and I loved that. Now its just standard issue every tour. I didnt even bother to netflix the S&A one.

I have to agree with it's overkill too. Didn't Geddy speak of them wanting to do something for Rush In Rio, I mean the crowd was amazing that night, and it's still a really cool live DVD. But, it lost it's "magicalness" on me for when they released something for R30, and then SnA too. Of course, I was at the Cleveland show for the taping as part of my 4 pack of shows for this leg, and most likely I will continue to buy anything and everything they release. They seemed to have a good system of a live album every 4-5 albums or so, or a live video every decade. I know they are going a few years between tours now, but still, it does seem like they are pumping stuff out quite rapidly. Although I read Alex saying in an interview recently, something along the line of 'we can't ride the crest of this wave of popularity forever,' and obviously that's true too. I guess I'm agreeing to disagree with my thought on the subject, it's not as magical as it once was, but I'll keep on giving them my money laugh.gif

for me when you have a band that is heralded for its live playing like RUSH has always been, you'd really only get that occassional live release and i had to collect many bootlegs to find a few really good ones. It was their authenticity live thast set the template for what i measure all bands with. be able to play yer shit live. And even tho people say they sound exactly like the record there are always subtle details that make it live so to speak. slight changes in diction or pitch in the vocals, slight mis phrasings or flubs, it generally has a feeling of a lil air to breathe in the mix that you only get from good musicians playing well live. I cant think of one live record or show that i ever walked away disappointed with from this band. even on their worst night. cant f*ckin wait to get the Cleveland DVD, love the S&A, R30, RIO, all of em

I dont mind them releasing DVDs every tour per se, but it does reduce the excitement significantly, particularly if the setlist wasnt distinguished in any way (I'll stop there!)...

Think it wouldve been a better idea if they released dvd's every few tours, like they used to do with their live albums back in the day. But hey, these guys are riding a wave so you cant blame them from trying to cash in any way they can- nothing wrong with that.

I guess at this point Rush & their management know that whatever they put out will sell respectably, so why not?

I agree that the availability of live releases probably has detracted from the original idea of the live album as a 'Summing up point', but I would rather have them than not.

For me it's interesting to see how certain songs & arrangements develop over time, although this can also be a double-edged sword. wink.gif

If there is an official release for 'The Time Machine Tour' then I will no doubt pick it up. If it happens to be a 2 DVD/2 CD release a la R30 then that would be a nice momento of some great gigs.