Live releases for Every Tour

The Owl

I think they do it for the large part of their audience that don't get to see them live. They have fans all over the world and they're only playing 50-60 shows a tour, so you're lucky to see them when they do tour. I like to see them live and get the video release, too. Is that overkill? Not for me, personally... 2.gif

QUOTE (youngoldman @ May 19 2011, 01:04 PM)
I think they do it for the large part of their audience that don't get to see them live. They have fans all over the world and they're only playing 50-60 shows a tour, so you're lucky to see them when they do tour. I like to see them live and get the video release, too. Is that overkill? Not for me, personally... 2.gif

Would have been good if they DID release a live dvd after each tour because those of us over here haven't all had the chance to see each tour angry.gif

I am not trying to bitch much, and I wouldn't even bring it up much if the setlists were a drastic from tour to tour, but they don't change their setlists up that much to warrant a new live album every tour... see what I mean here..

- Different Stages -----Shares in Common with--------Rush in Rio

Tom Sawyer

Roll The Bones

YYZ

Bravado

The Trees

Freewill

Closer to the Heart

Natural Science

Driven

Dreamline

Leave That Thing Alone

Limelight

Resist

2112 (RIR Had: Overture, and Temples---- DS had the whole thing)

The Spirit of Radio

- Rush in Rio ----------- Shares in Common With ------ R30 (Blu Ray Only in Parenthesis)

Spirit of Radio

Earthshine

Roll the Bones

Tom Sawyer

Dreamline

Resist

2112 (Overture and Temples.... R30 Included Grand Finale)

Working Man

Limelight

(Red Sector A)

(The Trees)

(La Villa Strangiato)

(One Little Victory)

(YYZ)

(By- Tor)

- R30-------------- Shares in Common With ---------------- S&A Live

Limelight

Freewill

Between the Wheels

Dreamline

Subdivsions

Tom Sawyer

The Spirit of Radio

(YYZ)

(One Little Victory)

- S&A Live ------------ Shares in Common With-------------- Time Machine Tour (assuming, which is a good probability there will be a release)

Spirit of Radio

Working Them Angles

Freewill

Subdivisions

Tom Sawyer

Limelight

Witch Hunt

YYZ

Far Cry

By Contrast (Utilizing the last 5 consecutive tours/live releases)

- Songs that "Different Stages" had to itself

Test for Echo

Show Don't Tell

2112 ( Discovery- Soliloquy)

The Analog Kid

Nobody's Hero

- Songs that " Rush In Rio" had to itself

New World Man

The Pass

Big Money

Between Sun & Moon

- Songs that R30 Had to itself (not including the cover bullshit which was 4 tracks)

Force Ten (Yeah, That's It)

- Songs that S&A Live had to itself

Circumstances

Entre Nous

Digital Man

Mission

The Main Monkey Business

The Larger Bowl

Armor & Sword

The Way The Wind Blows

Mal Nar

A Passage to Bangkok

- Songs that the Time Machine Tour has to itself

Time Stand Still

Presto

Faithless

BU2B

Caravan

Marathon

The Camera Eye

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think You get my point....

I am of the Opinion that if you release a live album say every 2 or 3 album cycles, instead of EVERY album cycle, then you will have a lot less similarity from Live album to Live album (or DVD) which will make for more variety on each live release...

Think about it... you have have not released a live album since 3 tours ago, you could make half your set all "new material" that was not on a previous live album... because you've had 3 albums worth of material to cover on the new live album....

Now I like the live releases, but I am of the Opinion that the "what they had different" catagory that I demonstrated, should be larger than the "what they had in common" category.... and spacing out your live albums I feel would help achieve that...

Just my very long $.02

QUOTE (The Owl @ May 19 2011, 09:48 PM)
I am not trying to bitch much, and I wouldn't even bring it up much if the setlists were a drastic from tour to tour, but they don't change their setlists up that much to warrant a new live album every tour... see what I mean here..

Tom Sawyer
Roll The Bones
YYZ
Bravado
The Trees
Freewill
Closer to the Heart
Natural Science
Driven
Dreamline
Leave That Thing Alone
Limelight
Resist
The Spirit of Radio

- Rush in Rio ----------- Shares in Common With ------ R30 (Blu Ray Only in Parenthesis)

Spirit of Radio
Earthshine
Roll the Bones
Tom Sawyer
Dreamline
Resist
Working Man
Limelight
(Red Sector A)
(The Trees)
(La Villa Strangiato)
(One Little Victory)
(YYZ)
(By- Tor)

Limelight
Freewill
Between the Wheels
Dreamline
Subdivsions
Tom Sawyer
The Spirit of Radio
(YYZ)
(One Little Victory)

- S&A Live ------------ Shares in Common With-------------- Time Machine Tour (assuming, which is a good probability there will be a release)

Spirit of Radio
Working Them Angles
Freewill
Subdivisions
Tom Sawyer
Limelight
Witch Hunt
YYZ
Far Cry

Test for Echo
Show Don't Tell
The Analog Kid
Nobody's Hero

New World Man
The Pass
Big Money
Between Sun & Moon

- Songs that R30 Had to itself (not including the cover bullshit which was 4 tracks)

Force Ten (Yeah, That's It)

Circumstances
Entre Nous
Digital Man
Mission
The Main Monkey Business
The Larger Bowl
Armor & Sword
The Way The Wind Blows
Mal Nar
A Passage to Bangkok

Time Stand Still
Presto
Faithless
BU2B
Caravan
Marathon
The Camera Eye

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am of the Opinion that if you release a live album say every 2 or 3 album cycles, instead of EVERY album cycle, then you will have a lot less similarity from Live album to Live album (or DVD) which will make for more variety on each live release...

Think about it... you have have not released a live album since 3 tours ago, you could make half your set all "new material" that was not on a previous live album... because you've had 3 albums worth of material to cover on the new live album....

Now I like the live releases, but I am of the Opinion that the "what they had different" catagory that I demonstrated, should be larger than the "what they had in common" category.... and spacing out your live albums I feel would help achieve that...

Just my very long $.02

just forward this chart to Ray so they can correct all this right away

QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ May 19 2011, 11:03 PM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ May 19 2011, 09:48 PM)

Tom Sawyer
Roll The Bones
YYZ
Bravado
The Trees
Freewill
Closer to the Heart
Natural Science
Driven
Dreamline
Leave That Thing Alone
Limelight
Resist
The Spirit of Radio

Spirit of Radio
Earthshine
Roll the Bones
Tom Sawyer
Dreamline
Resist
Working Man
Limelight
(Red Sector A)
(The Trees)
(La Villa Strangiato)
(One Little Victory)
(YYZ)
(By- Tor)

Limelight
Freewill
Between the Wheels
Dreamline
Subdivsions
Tom Sawyer
The Spirit of Radio
(YYZ)
(One Little Victory)

Spirit of Radio
Working Them Angles
Freewill
Subdivisions
Tom Sawyer
Limelight
Witch Hunt
YYZ
Far Cry

Test for Echo
Show Don't Tell
The Analog Kid
Nobody's Hero

New World Man
The Pass
Big Money
Between Sun & Moon

- Songs that R30 Had to itself  (not including the cover bullshit which was 4 tracks)

Force Ten  (Yeah, That's It)

Circumstances
Entre Nous
Digital Man
Mission
The Main Monkey Business
The Larger Bowl
Armor & Sword
The Way The Wind Blows
Mal Nar
A Passage to Bangkok

Time Stand Still
Presto
Faithless
BU2B
Caravan
Marathon
The Camera Eye

Just my very long $.02

just forward this chart to Ray so they can correct all this right away

Ray is clueless .

biggrin.gif

No I dont think that a live release is a bad move after each tour.....It gives those of us who were unable to see the Guys on tour this go round a chance to hear and see them in all their glory!

It also gives Rush a chance to cover some older material that has been sitting around unheard for a long time....(Hint, Hint!)

2.gif

QUOTE (JamesRPJr @ May 20 2011, 08:56 AM)
biggrin.gif

No I dont think that a live release is a bad move after each tour.....It gives those of us who were unable to see the Guys on tour this go round a chance to hear and see them in all their glory!
It also gives Rush a chance to cover some older material that has been sitting around unheard for a long time....(Hint, Hint!)

2.gif

I wouldn't mind as much either, like I mentioned above in my long winded post it wouldn't be too much of an issue if their setlist from this tour was not 50% (or more) the same setlist from the previous tour... Having two or more back to back tours with setlists that keep the same material dosen't warrant back to back live releases IMO..

I mentioned the bands like Porcupine Tree, Dream Theater, and Opeth are also in the habit of releasing live material for almost every tour... but if you look at their live material, they at least make a conscious effort for a different setlist and tracklist from live album/dvd to live album/dvd.

I love Rush's live releases, but the redundancy is getting wearing.

I have bootlegs from every tour. If I could get official releases of my favorite and best shows from each tour I would chuck the boots in a second. It has worked will for King Crimson and several other bands.