Holy $hit! Major Earthquake In Japan! 8.9!

RUSHHEAD666

I can't sleep tonight!!

I'm watching the news about the horrific Earthquake and Tsunami in Japan right now!

My parents are vacationing in Maui right now and the Tsunami is on the way right now as I type.

I know I shouldn't believe the hype but they are also issuing Tsunami Warnings here on the California Coastline.

Airports in Hawaii are closed! Seven foot waves could hit the California Coast by 8 AM.

Unreal footage in Japan.

sad.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Mar 11 2011, 03:03 AM)
I can't sleep tonight!!
I'm watching the news about the horrific Earthquake and Tsunami in Japan right now!

My parents are vacationing in Maui right now and the Tsunami is on the way right now as I type.

I know I shouldn't believe the hype but they are also issuing Tsunami Warnings here on the California Coastline.

Airports in Hawaii are closed! Seven foot waves could hit the California Coast by 8 AM.

Unreal footage in Japan.

sad.gif

Can you link me to the article you read saying California might be hit? I read that the North America wouldn't be affected..

QUOTE (Kenneth @ Mar 11 2011, 07:11 AM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Mar 11 2011, 03:03 AM)
I can't sleep tonight!!

Airports in Hawaii are closed!  Seven foot waves could hit the California Coast by 8 AM.

Unreal footage in Japan.

sad.gif

Can you link me to the article you read saying California might be hit? I read that the North America wouldn't be affected..

Turn CNN on. they have constant coverage. It is set to hit Hawaii in about an hour. They do not know how much damage it will do once it reaches there. At least it gives people time to move inland. My prayers are with your family. I'm sure they will be fine!

So far reports out of Hawaii are that the waves seem to be topping out at around 1 meter - more or less inconsequential.

Hope JohnnyBlaze is OK and that he pops in to update us. Has anyone heard from him or tried to PM him?

This was insane! I can't believe the images that we're seeing. The Today show had great coverage this morning. The waves reached our shore around 7:30am.

That is just devastating what happened in Japan.

Just heard from my mom who is San Diego visiting. She had to evacuate her hotel last night and the airport was closed. She spent the night in a rental car on a mountain parked in front of someones house. She's hoping the airport is open by 12:30 so she can get home.

QUOTE (Mara @ Mar 11 2011, 11:24 AM)
So far reports out of Hawaii are that the waves seem to be topping out at around 1 meter - more or less inconsequential.

Hope JohnnyBlaze is OK and that he pops in to update us. Has anyone heard from him or tried to PM him?

I, too, hope JohnnyBlaze is alright and that somebody hears from him soon.

My thoughts go out to all affected in Japan.

QUOTE (Mara @ Mar 11 2011, 08:24 AM)

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Mar 10 2011, 11:14 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Mar 11 2011, 04:03 PM)
Big Earthquake in Japan and Tsunami warning in effect across the pacific...

The supermoon strikes early!!

ohmy.gif

Aye...the 'ol massive earthquake/tsunami combo yet again. With this superbadass moon, I may be "going werewolf" sooner than I expected

trink38.gif

Heard that Hawaii suffered some damage, too, though not as severe as Northern Japan.. I assume you have all seen the footage? Just.. jaw-dropping. It's the stuff of movies, only not! My prayers and thoughts go out to the victims, their friends and families, and of course to all the mission and rescue workers. They have a long job ahead of them.

My mom has a friend in Okinawa (her husband is stationed there) but she said her friend's fine and that area of Japan didn't feel a thing.

How scary, though...

Tsunami warning center raises magnitude of Japan quake to 9.1

The Japan earthquake was the fourth most powerful ever recorded with a magnitude of 9.1, twice more powerful than the initial estimate of 8.9, Gerard Fryer, geophysicist of the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center, said this morning.

Three others that were more powerful since the late 1800s when seismometers started measuring ground motions were in 9.5 in Chile in 1960, 9.2 in Alaska in 1964 and 9.1 in Sumatra in 2004, according to Fryer.

The new magnitude was adjusted based on the impact of the quake  throughout the Pacific, he said.  "It fits all measurements, including in Hawaii," Fryer said.

The U.S. Geological Survey estimate of the quake's magnitude is still 8.9.

It is not uncommon for scientists to estimate different magnitudes immediately after an earthquake.

Thanks for the kind thoughts guys. trink39.gif

I've somehow been very lucky when it comes to natural disasters (so far that is)...having grown up in Florida, living here with earthquakes and tsunamis, and cancelling a trip to New Orleans a few months before Katrina shook. I live in Osaka. Here, the buildings were shaking and things knocked off shelves. But I don't even work in Osaka which means I didn't even notice where I was. I just continued working at that time but found out a couple of minutes after it happened. I'm a lucky bastard and I'm extremely grateful for that.

And how's this for luck?--a buddy of mine that lives in the Sendai area (where there was massive MASSIVE destruction) has been on vacation overseas[he left a few days ago]. Sure, he'll come back to a lot of hell and it'll be stressful BUT not being there at the time is a major bit of luck.

I was just thinking about this one Japanese guy that goes to Rushcon every year. He lives in Sendai. I met him once at one of the tribute band gigs back in '07. I forgot his name (barney rebel would probably know) but he's the dude singing Tom Sawyer in the Rush Trekkies clip on BTLS. I hope he's okay.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Mar 12 2011, 08:00 AM)
I was just thinking about this one Japanese guy that goes to Rushcon every year. He lives in Sendai. I met him once at one of the tribute band gigs back in '07. I forgot his name (barney rebel would probably know) but he's the dude singing Tom Sawyer in the Rush Trekkies clip on BTLS. I hope he's okay.

Seiji is fine! He's checked in with us on FB.

I had posted about you this morning! Glad you're ok too A.

Seiji is definitely a Rushcon Regular! Here is his facebook post:

Seiji Harada
Thank you everyone
I am OK ! no injury , everything's fine

There's city transportations are all dead
Then I couldn't back home at yesterday
...Just I am tired , I need some rest

When I back home
my room is little bit mess , not terrible
that's all

Thanks again

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Mar 12 2011, 04:05 AM)
Thanks for the kind thoughts guys. trink39.gif
I've somehow been very lucky when it comes to natural disasters (so far that is)...having grown up in Florida, living here with earthquakes and tsunamis, and cancelling a trip to New Orleans a few months before Katrina shook. I live in Osaka. Here, the buildings were shaking and things knocked off shelves. But I don't even work in Osaka which means I didn't even notice where I was. I just continued working at that time but found out a couple of minutes after it happened. I'm a lucky bastard and I'm extremely grateful for that.
And how's this for luck?--a buddy of mine that lives in the Sendai area (where there was massive MASSIVE destruction) has been on vacation overseas[he left a few days ago]. Sure, he'll come back to a lot of hell and it'll be stressful BUT not being there at the time is a major bit of luck.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u158/joglynne/smillies/smiley-vault-misc-164.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Mar 12 2011, 11:26 AM)
Thanks for the kind thoughts guys.  trink39.gif

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u158/joglynne/smillies/smiley-vault-misc-164.gif trink39.gif

+1

Good to hear. But, it's so sad seeing the devastation. I read that some seismologists are upgrading the magnitude to a 9.1.

Thanks for the kind thoughts guys.  trink39.gif

trink39.gif

Glad to hear all is well with you!

Archived