Who else hates Porcupine Tree?

yyzyy

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jan 18 2011, 01:52 AM)
People who "hate" Porcupine Tree are infants. Humans with small underdeveloped penises or uptight venomous vaginas who can't evolve.

The Stink Floyd comparison is so cliche yet so accurate.

Who cares? It's pure homage.

Neil and Alex love this band. So does Dave Meniketti from Y&T.

A lot of musicians dig Steven's turbulent and timid tunage.

If you don't then that's your own insecurity, I mean intellectual isolation of erratic immaturity. LOL!

Don't take my words too serious. This is just a Forum.

I will love Porcupine Tree, Rush and Y&T for ETERNITY!

Hey that rhymed!

IN ROCK WE TRUST!

OR NOT....................

1022.gif

Earl!!!! ohmy.gif

Hi, Earl. bekloppt.gif

An eloquent, poetic and emotionally moving response as usual, Earl. laugh.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Jan 18 2011, 03:26 PM)
People who "hate" Porcupine Tree are infants.  Humans with small underdeveloped penises or uptight venomous vaginas who can't evolve.

Who cares?  It's pure homage.

Neil and Alex love this band.  So does Dave Meniketti from Y&T.

If you don't then that's your own insecurity, I mean intellectual isolation of erratic immaturity.  LOL!

Don't take my words too serious.  This is just a Forum.

Hey that rhymed! 

IN ROCK WE TRUST!

1022.gif

Earl!!!! ohmy.gif

Hi, Earl. bekloppt.gif

Earl doesn't f**k about, he has, as we say over here, a "Straight in ,no kissing" way of dealing with stuff!

Gotta love Earl's style! laugh.gif

Great points Presto...couldn't have said it better myself.

I'm suddenly (as in the last year or so) a HUGE fan of PT. Their music just clicks with me. I can't seem to get enough. I start to salivate when I hear that Steve Wilson has written something new.

But, hey, not everyone is going to like it. Everyone has different tastes. In fact, I hope they just continue writing and touring so I can get my fix and see them live. If they were overly popular, those $40 tickets I bought for the RCMH show would have been $250. So, I'm certainly not going to complain that "nobody" knows who PT is, or that they're not on the radio...

And, don't trash someone for making a "hate" thread. This is a forum you know. I like the fact that we can all debate and discuss our opinions.

QUOTE (yyzyy @ Jan 17 2011, 12:34 PM)
I've given them several listens on several different occasions and nothing!  With Dream Theater it took me 3 or 4 montbs to understand...it has been a good year and a half that I go and revisit Porcupine Tree and my hatred for them continues to grow!  That's it for me and PT, case closed...and Rush is a different story!

So, are you looking for suggestions as to what albums or songs might suit you or just in search of others to pile onto the hate-wagon here?

Personally, I love the band...probably for the very reasons you hate them.

It's all personal preference.

There are a TON of people out there who LOATH everything RUSH has done...but I assume you're on this board because of them.

Edited by tjtull

I have In Absentia and The Incident.

I would like to check out Deadwing.

I don't like everything they do, but some of it is quite good while other stuff is just filler to me.

They are a good band and I'd go to see them if I get the chance.

People who "hate" Porcupine Tree are infants.  Humans with small underdeveloped penises or uptight venomous vaginas who can't evolve.

If you don't then that's your own insecurity, I mean intellectual isolation of erratic immaturity.  LOL!

Hey that rhymed! 

IN ROCK WE TRUST!

1022.gif

goodpost.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (Mr. Krinkle @ Jan 18 2011, 10:53 AM)
I have In Absentia and The Incident.
I would like to check out Deadwing.

I don't like everything they do, but some of it is quite good while other stuff is just filler to me.

They are a good band and I'd go to see them if I get the chance.

Deadwing is great. You definitely should do that.

QUOTE (Ranger J @ Jan 17 2011, 11:58 PM)
I don't see the reason for a PT hatethread.

I stumbled across PT through these forums, and was very glad that I did. Ever since, Deadwing, In absentia and FOABP have been on high rotation in my earphones.

I personally don't connect with the lyrics on a dark level like many of you mention, having never been there myself. The music however, is what I seem to connect with and I feel that the composition (not by just SW, but the WHOLE band) is excellent on Deadwing, In absentia and FOABP, and there is plenty of talent shared amongst the band.

Better the haters have this thread than fill the REAL PT thread with all this stuff. yes.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Jan 18 2011, 08:26 AM)

Hey that rhymed! 

IN ROCK WE TRUST!

1022.gif

Earl!!!! ohmy.gif

Hi, Earl. bekloppt.gif

LOL!

Thanks Sully! My pleasure!!

Cheers!!

Porcupine Tree Rules!

QUOTE (Kenneth @ Jan 18 2011, 01:06 AM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jan 17 2011, 11:52 PM)

Hey that rhymed! 

IN ROCK WE TRUST!

1022.gif

I'm still not convinced tongue.gif

If I can sell ice to eskimos would you let me sell Porcupine Trees to Woody The Woodpecker?

FLY BY NIGHT!

QUOTE (Natch @ Jan 18 2011, 08:47 AM)
Gotta love Earl's style! laugh.gif

Great points Presto...couldn't have said it better myself.

I'm suddenly (as in the last year or so) a HUGE fan of PT. Their music just clicks with me. I can't seem to get enough. I start to salivate when I hear that Steve Wilson has written something new.

But, hey, not everyone is going to like it. Everyone has different tastes. In fact, I hope they just continue writing and touring so I can get my fix and see them live. If they were overly popular, those $40 tickets I bought for the RCMH show would have been $250. So, I'm certainly not going to complain that "nobody" knows who PT is, or that they're not on the radio...

And, don't trash someone for making a "hate" thread. This is a forum you know. I like the fact that we can all debate and discuss our opinions.

Hey Natch!! Sometimes I feel like the guy in your avatar!!!

Frustration overcomes mental masturbation!

Cheers!

I like Porcupine Tree. They definitely have their own niche in popular music. I love Fear of a Blank Planet, but it's the only album I can really get into. I guess it's like someone liking Rush, but only able to get into Moving Pictures. Other than the songs off of Fear of a Blank Planet, I really like "Blackest Eyes".

I am a great fan of PT and Rush and many others.

Here is my opinion of why I like them.

I first heard Blackest Eyes in 2007 with Gavin Harrison playing drums. What attracted me to the song was the strange but interesting use of synthesizers and groove oriented drumming. As a drummer I picked up on Harrison's extreme musicianship right away and even thought that this guy is really a jazz drummer and not a prog drummer. Low and behold I was right.

So, with that introduction I listened to the rest of In Absentia. Wilson and Barbieri both admit they are NOT trying to be virtuosos with their instruments. So with that I continued to be drawn to their concept but more importantly to the sound engineering and arrangements. I also liked the fact that PT was originally NOT a band at all but a FAKE 70's rock band invented by Wilson! Now cmon, to me that was never done before by a band and a very cool and funny idea at that. PT is very much like RUSH in the sense that Wilson has done what he has wanted to do no matter what and in my opinion has produced some awesome music. That has always drawn me to a band.

Other than that, PT continues to expand my musical horizons strictly based on the fact that they have produced many experimental and at times musically intricate songs.

As to the music being depressing, I agree for the most part. Wilson himself admits that he writes that way so that he can vent his own negativity. I respect that because it seems his own music is therapy for him.

If you are a fan of ambient, electronic music and trance, then you will absolutely love all their early stuff. Barbieri is also a student of Brian Eno I think.

All in all a great band on many levels.

Edited by friendlyfloridian

QUOTE (friendlyfloridian @ Jan 20 2011, 12:29 PM)

Here is my opinion of why I like them...

ooops! wrong thread, ff wink.gif

...if you are a fan of ambient, electronic music and trance, then you will absolutely love all their early stuff...

as a great fan of ambient, electronic music and trance, I can assure you that that is absolutely not the case

Edited by ghostworks

Here is my opinion of why I like them.

I first heard Blackest Eyes in 2007 with Gavin Harrison playing drums. What attracted me to the song was the strange but interesting use of synthesizers and groove oriented drumming. As a drummer I picked up on Harrison's extreme musicianship right away and even thought that this guy is really a jazz drummer and not a prog drummer. Low and behold I was right.

So, with that introduction I listened to the rest of In Absentia. Wilson and Barbieri both admit they are NOT trying to be virtuosos with their instruments. So with that I continued to be drawn to their concept but more importantly to the sound engineering and arrangements. I also liked the fact that PT was originally NOT a band at all but a FAKE 70's rock band invented by Wilson! Now cmon, to me that was never done before by a band and a very cool and funny idea at that. PT is very much like RUSH in the sense that Wilson has done what he has wanted to do no matter what and in my opinion has produced some awesome music. That has always drawn me to a band.

Other than that, PT continues to expand my musical horizons strictly based on the fact that they have produced many experimental and at times musically intricate songs.

As to the music being depressing, I agree for the most part. Wilson himself admits that he writes that way so that he can vent his own negativity. I respect that because it seems his own music is therapy for him.

If you are a fan of ambient, electronic music and trance, then you will absolutely love all their early stuff. Barbieri is also a student of Brian Eno I think.

All in all a great band on many levels.

goodpost.gif

Gompers hates them