Who else hates Porcupine Tree?

yyzyy

is it just me? i mean theyve been recommended to me a few times and i bought 2 albums and they just seriously irritate me...i dont know why but i just really cant stand them...anybody else?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My wife hates them. She likes most metal and she likes Rush. For some reason, she hates this band but the only reason she can give me is they are blah...I don't agree with her.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 15 2011, 10:00 PM)
I like them, they're not in my top 5 bands or anything, but then I don't do all that top 5 shit. All I know is I like them.

trink38.gif

I love the way you worded this-

Wouldn't say I hate them, but I find it hard to listen to anything they've done, and like Lord knows I have so tried.

And yet Mr Wilson has so worked wonders with the yummy Micke wub.gif from Opeth

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jan 16 2011, 07:56 AM)
QUOTE (Oracle @ Jan 16 2011, 02:35 AM)
2deep4ubro...2deep4u.

How fabulously condescending.

I thought so too...kind of like being told how to approach musical ideology from Prince's POV.

They've done a few good songs here and there, but their songs almost all sound the same. Very depressing music.

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jan 16 2011, 09:50 AM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jan 16 2011, 07:56 AM)
QUOTE (Oracle @ Jan 16 2011, 02:35 AM)
2deep4ubro...2deep4u.

How fabulously condescending.

I thought so too...kind of like being told how to approach musical ideology from Prince's POV.

Yeah, like getting a text message from Prince. Special!

QUOTE (yyzyy @ Jan 15 2011, 08:22 PM)
is it just me?  i mean theyve been recommended to me a few times and i bought 2 albums and they just seriously irritate me...i dont know why but i just really cant stand them...anybody else?

years ago I worked at a record store and rec'd a copy of 'Stupid Dream' as a promo, but never listened to it

I began to hear 'good things' about them, especially once I started reading & participating on music-related messageboards

I fished out that copy of 'Stupid Dream' and gave it a serious listen... schla03.gif

if you've ever heard the album, you'll understand why I was utterly confused

everything I had been hearing/reading about them compared PT to Pink Floyd and Yes and Marillion, even Rush and Genesis (all bands I have followed and obsessed over for years and years)

there was nothing there but a vague Pink Floyd vibe, but it was so dulled by artless lyrics and elementary school composition that for a moment I thought maybe I had read the band name wrong... this could NOT be the band that my fellow prog fans were making such a fuss about

could NOT be

even suspending my expectations and assessing the album without the gushing prog comparisons left me puzzled - taken on its own merits, it sounded like boring music played emotionlessly by less than average musicians

friends and fans tried to point me to 'better' albums and songs (the first time I heard 'Hatesong' I laughed out loud) but at a certain point, when nothing - zero - is living up to any of the hype, not even remotely, you've got to call it a day

it confounds me even now that some of my friends and fellow musicians who I share deep connections with musically, technically and compositionally continue to champion this band and its members as some pinnacle of 'new' prog or musicianship, when there's nothing but evidence to the contrary

the only conclusion is that there must be some form of collective delusion at work...

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jan 16 2011, 10:48 AM)
They've done a few good songs here and there, but their songs almost all sound the same. Very depressing music.

I don't think of music in that way, depressing or not depressing, I just don't see it, but then again I don't get depressed anyway...

trink38.gif

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Jan 16 2011, 02:17 PM)
it confounds me even now that some of my friends and fellow musicians who I share deep connections with musically, technically and compositionally continue to champion this band and its members as some pinnacle of 'new' prog or musicianship, when there's nothing but evidence to the contrary

I don't really think of PT as prog in the classic sense. Not that I don't think of them as progressive in the true sense of the word, I just think of them more as a modern rock band and don't naturally lump them in the prog pool...

QUOTE (yyzyy @ Jan 15 2011, 07:22 PM)
is it just me? i mean theyve been recommended to me a few times and i bought 2 albums and they just seriously irritate me...i dont know why but i just really cant stand them...anybody else?

They do nothing for me either........

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 16 2011, 03:40 PM)

I don't really think of PT as prog in the classic sense. Not that I don't think of them as progressive in the true sense of the word, I just think of them more as a modern rock band and don't naturally lump them in the prog pool...

neither would I

the majority of their fans that I interact with, however, insist otherwise

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Jan 16 2011, 07:29 PM)

neither would I

I don't like them because they are prog or just because of their musicianship.

I like them cuz I like their music. I do give props to gavins drumming as it is above average, the bass playing establishes some nice grooves. Liking them because they are prog seems kind of juvenile.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jan 16 2011, 07:04 PM)
QUOTE (ghostworks @ Jan 16 2011, 07:29 PM)

neither would I

...liking them because they are prog seems kind of juvenile.

it does

the people I know who are PT fans often herald the band as some sort of prog heirs - but that isn't necessarily why they like the band at all

I bought 'Fear of a Blank Planet' & 'In Absentia'. The only song that really spoke to me was 'Futile'. Awesome tune from beginning to end...killer intro, killer musicianship, killer lyrics. It was also the first song I heard from them, so believe me I was excited.

But man, every other song on both albums is just terrible. It's so dull and boring...and I can't wrap my head around why a lot of people like this band. And they all just look like a bunch of dweebs!

Just speaking my opinion here...

Archived