The Official Iron Maiden Thread

Nate2112

Listening to Days of Future Past on the You Tube right now. One listener posted this:

This album is a f***ing masterpiece!!! My opinion!!! Hell on Earth probably the best song on the album. Melodic Maiden full force!!! Song Darkest Hour has one of the most beautiful guitar solos I have ever heard!!! True fan since 1980.

I'm not that enthusiastic, but am enjoying what I'm hearing so far. Senjutsu and Souls make up a very impressive late-career one-two punch of albums from Maiden.

• Like 1

This production on this one is rough and makes it a slog to get through. Don't think I'll be returning to it much. Maybe it'll slap live.

It's got a definite muddiness to it, but I think given the experience of this band that it's very intentional. Like they're calling back to Piece Of Mind, which is also kinda muddy.

Piece Of Mind is muddy? Never heard that before. Kevin Shirley has been producing Maiden the same way since Dance Of Death. Senjitsu is easily the worst job he's done so far when it comes to overall muddiness. I think it's one of the main reasons some fans are struggling to get into the album. The performances and technical execution on the album are top notch. But Shirley has done such a shit job with the production that it takes multiple listens to hear that stuff shine through. That shouldn't be the case with any band let alone one as great as Maiden.

Well the guitars specifically on Piece Of Mind are dirtier, less trebly, more comparable to my tiny Squire amp (though obviously better sounding than that). The overall production isn't muddy, but it's much less pristine than Number or Powerslave.

I have listened fairly continuously for a few days now.

The songs never stopped getting better. Why did it take time? I don't know. But that's not unusual for me so it is no fault of Maiden's.

My initial dislike for the synths has faded, aside from Stratego. That's by far my least favorite. Otherwise I really like every song. Every song other than the title track and Stratego are candidates for my eventual favorite.

Usually Maiden had a song or two that is a clear winner from day one. Not this time. Several contenders. I may now like this better than any album in the last 30 year's.

Edited by Mosher

The songs never stopped getting better. Why did it take time? I don't know. But that's not unusual for me so it is no fault of Maiden's.

My initial dislike for the synths has faded, aside from Stratego. That's by far my least favorite. Otherwise I really like every song. Every song other than the title track and Stratego are candidates for my eventual favorite.

Usually Maiden had a song or two that is a clear winner from day one. Not this time. Several contenders. I may now like this better than any album in the last 30 year's.

I think Hell On Earth is probably the best song. Damn it, why do some albums have to have such depth and length to it? It shouldn't take me so many listens to finally start getting into it lol.

Perhaps if I didn't think the production was such shit, I would have been able to hear everything clearer and get into it faster.

I think Hell On Earth is probably the best song. Damn it, why do some albums have to have such depth and length to it? It shouldn't take me so many listens to finally start getting into it lol.

Perhaps if I didn't think the production was such shit, I would have been able to hear everything clearer and get into it faster.

Sorry for sounding like a dick up above.

And yeah I feel you, that's me with a lot of Modern Maiden.

This production on this one is rough and makes it a slog to get through. Don't think I'll be returning to it much. Maybe it'll slap live.

It's got a definite muddiness to it, but I think given the experience of this band that it's very intentional. Like they're calling back to Piece Of Mind, which is also kinda muddy.

Piece Of Mind is muddy? Never heard that before. Kevin Shirley has been producing Maiden the same way since Dance Of Death. Senjitsu is easily the worst job he's done so far when it comes to overall muddiness. I think it's one of the main reasons some fans are struggling to get into the album. The performances and technical execution on the album are top notch. But Shirley has done such a shit job with the production that it takes multiple listens to hear that stuff shine through. That shouldn't be the case with any band let alone one as great as Maiden.

Well the guitars specifically on Piece Of Mind are dirtier, less trebly, more comparable to my tiny Squire amp (though obviously better sounding than that). The overall production isn't muddy, but it's much less pristine than Number or Powerslave.

Adrian's guitar sounds like shit on Piece of Mind. It's a strange outlier in the 80s Bruce albums that have otherwise great production

Almost the same riff, used towards the end of a long song:

At 08:54 here:

And at 09:53 here:

who cares Rod? Bands spend entire careers being a lot more self-plagiaristic than Maiden do.

What next? An entire list of every time Maiden include galloping riffs?

• Like 1

who cares Rod? Bands spend entire careers being a lot more self-plagiaristic than Maiden do.

06:12 here:

And 08:50 here:

• Like 1

Really this pointing out solos is getting annoying. yes they're about the same. but why try to dampen peoples enjoyment? you and YYZ really don't like it...fine.....all cool.....great. but pointing out faults just comes off like the bitter fan not getting what he feels like he's owed by a band i think can do what they want.

sorry if this ruffles feathers but let folks enjoy this album man.

Mick

• Like 2

06:12 here:

And 08:50 here:

What's next Rod? Are you going to point out how AC/DC has a bunch of stuff that sounds the same? Any band that has been around for a while and has a signature sound is always going to have riffs and solos that sound like things they've done before. Not sure what you're point is with doing this?

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 2

Really this pointing out solos is getting annoying. yes they're about the same. but why try to dampen peoples enjoyment? you and YYZ really don't like it...fine.....all cool.....great. but pointing out faults just comes off like the bitter fan not getting what he feels like he's owed by a band i think can do what they want.

sorry if this ruffles feathers but let folks enjoy this album man.

Mick

Don't you do the same thing with Clockwork Angels?

I'm not a bitter fan at least I don't believe I am. But there's a lot on Senjitsu that leaves me cold. That hasn't happened with me much with Maiden, so it's a very odd feeling for me to have. I will say the last three songs are the ones I'm starting to like the most. As for the rest of the album, if I never heard those songs again I don't think it would bother me too much.

I think Kevin Shirley is a GENIUS, and he got the job with Rush to do Counterparts precisely because he wasn't shy in criticizing some of the stuff Rush had been doing before him. He's done an amazing job with Dream Theater's Falling into Infinity, and was the mastermind in putting together Black Country Communion. But I think it's time that Maiden tweaked things up a bit and changed producers. Kevin is so ensconced now in the Maiden machine that he himself is not seeing how to improve the songs anymore. Bands that have been around for a while should always try to shake things up a bit, while preserving their identity. Again, I'm glad you're enjoying the album, and far from me to try to ruin the party, but to me it's a missed opportunity to do something INCREDIBLE at this stage in their careers, as opposed to just another entry in their discography.
  • Like 1

I think Kevin Shirley is a GENIUS, and he got the job with Rush to do Counterparts precisely because he wasn't shy in criticizing some of the stuff Rush had been doing before him. He's done an amazing job with Dream Theater's Falling into Infinity, and was the mastermind in putting together Black Country Communion. But I think it's time that Maiden tweaked things up a bit and changed producers. Kevin is so ensconced now in the Maiden machine that he himself is not seeing how to improve the songs anymore. Bands that have been around for a while should always try to shake things up a bit, while preserving their identity. Again, I'm glad you're enjoying the album, and far from me to try to ruin the party, but to me it's a missed opportunity to do something INCREDIBLE at this stage in their careers, as opposed to just another entry in their discography.

I've been thinking this for ages. My biggest issue (and pretty much my only one) with modern Maiden is that all the albums really sound like they could all have been written at the same time. A fresh new perspective, a change of hands with producer, could really work.

Colin Richardson and Brendan O'Brian come to mind as two that could have done wonders. Their work with metal and rock musicians is fantastic overall.

• Like 1

I've been thinking this for ages. My biggest issue (and pretty much my only one) with modern Maiden is that all the albums really sound like they could all have been written at the same time. A fresh new perspective, a change of hands with producer, could really work.

Colin Richardson and Brendan O'Brian come to mind as two that could have done wonders. Their work with metal and rock musicians is fantastic overall.

Both would be awesome. I would suggest Andy Sneap, who has been doing an incredible job with Priest, Saxon and Accept.

• Like 1

i will say this so we can agree on something, lol

Shirley's Maiden albums do sound like your listening with cloth in your ears.....all of them.....i agree there.

and a new producer would be interesting.

i know you hate these guys Rod.....but......i feel the same way at this point about Alter Bridge. their producer's production sounds pretty bad these days.

Mick

Both would be awesome. I would suggest Andy Sneap, who has been doing an incredible job with Priest, Saxon and Accept.

Yes!

Shirley's Maiden albums do sound like your listening with cloth in your ears.....all of them.....i agree there.

i know you hate these guys Rod.....but......i feel the same way at this point about Alter Bridge. their producer's production sounds pretty bad these days.

Mick

I feel a bit sad that Alter Bridge have my attention to a point, but not like they did. After Fortress, their music has felt ... Stuck. As much as I enjoy all the albums.

• Like 1

Mick

I feel a bit sad that Alter Bridge have my attention to a point, but not like they did. After Fortress, their music has felt ... Stuck. As much as I enjoy all the albums.

it's annoying cause Tremonti......his albums with elvis sound better. maybe i just like the material better?

lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

Mick

it's annoying cause Tremonti......his albums with elvis sound better. maybe i just like the material better?

lol

Mick

I actually prefer Tremonti as a singer these days.

• Like 1

I am only on my second listen. But I already really really like this album......a lot.

I need a lot more time with it though. It is a deep listen. There is a lot to digest. It feels like a true journey....and I also recently finished probably one of the best video games I ever played called Ghost of Tsushima and now I would love to play that game with this album playing!!!! It takes me right back to it.

The album is filled with a lush visual quality and some great story telling. That is something the modern era has done so well.

I want a lot more time though before I rank it next to the rest of he modern era albums and what tracks are my fav’s. But it is a really strong album.

My modern era rankings without Senjutsu (need more listens).

1. A Matter of Life And Death

2. Brave New World

3. Book Of Souls

4. The Final Frontier

5. Dance of Death

I love all the modern era albums for the record.

Edited by Todem