The Official Iron Maiden Thread

Nate2112

And to echo what others have said, something finally got through to Steve Harris to have him stop writing choruses that just repeat the song title.

The fact it's not endless repeated choruses (something that took me nearly two decades to enjoy BNW in spite of), had me instantly hooked. None of these songs feel like a chore! It's growing on me so much, I've played it several times now, and for an album as long as this, it feels so short!

This might be the best modern Maiden album, it's certainly looking that way for me.

Sometimes the pattern works well. Blood Brothers is extremely simple by Maiden standards, including the chorus, but it ends up being such a favorite of mine.

• Like 1

ok i still love and adore this album by on my fifth play the song Lost In A Lost world lost some luster. it's the closest this album comes to a typical modern Maiden long song slog.

but that's the only track that slid fore me happily.

Mick

First off I'm glad that a lot of Maiden fans on here are into the new album & are getting a real buzz off it. However for me it's nothing more than a bucket of hippo sh!t. It's actually worse than Book of Souls & that's saying something. There isn't a single catchy hook or memorable riff that I can hum after hearing it. Absolute fing garbage. It's just the self-same thing ad nauseum.

The problem with Maiden is that it appears that no-one can say no to Harris & he is allowed to just blunder on and on and ON with a complete inability to edit his ideas (such as they are).

A once great band which should have wrapped up a decade ago.

ok i still love and adore this album by on my fifth play the song Lost In A Lost world lost some luster. it's the closest this album comes to a typical modern Maiden long song slog.

but that's the only track that slid fore me happily.

Mick

That's the one I love more and more! Plus Death Of The Celts

First off I'm glad that a lot of Maiden fans on here are into the new album & are getting a real buzz off it. However for me it's nothing more than a bucket of hippo sh!t. It's actually worse than Book of Souls & that's saying something. There isn't a single catchy hook or memorable riff that I can hum after hearing it. Absolute fing garbage. It's just the self-same thing ad nauseum.

The problem with Maiden is that it appears that no-one can say no to Harris & he is allowed to just blunder on and on and ON with a complete inability to edit his ideas (such as they are).

I like Book Of Souls. I think they did a good job with doing a double album there. Every song was different enough from the other that I found it a very enjoyable listen despite the length. There are vocal hooks and melodies on it that grab me. That's what is missing most for me on the new album. Everything sounds the same and there's nothing that hooks me. Sure, it could change with more listens but usually if I like something I can tell on the first listen that I will definitely be coming back for more. I didn't get that at all with Senjitsu.

• Like 2

I like Book Of Souls. I think they did a good job with doing a double album there. Every song was different enough from the other that I found it a very enjoyable listen despite the length. There are vocal hooks and melodies on it that grab me. That's what is missing most for me on the new album. Everything sounds the same and there's nothing that hooks me. Sure, it could change with more listens but usually if I like something I can tell on the first listen that I will definitely be coming back for more. I didn't get that at all with Senjitsu.

BoS is much better than Senjitsu. That's how bad Senjitsu really is. I agree with you that there is far more contrast on BoS and there are some catchy tunes too.

I find this album really catchy ������

To each his own buddy :cheers:

Absolutely! I mean you can't win with every album

I absolutely love No Prayer whilst I know many don't. Meanwhile, I like FOTD but it might be my least fave. And TFF is an album I am just thrilled by and I loved it immediately...

So I hope I don't come off like a dick with my enjoying Senjutsu. It's not my favourite modern Maiden, I just really enjoy it.

Maybe the hooks are hiding beneath all the mid tempo muck. I will try and listen for them next time.

I can hear what you're saying, because I'm a bit astonished by how much this reminds me of the Bayley albums. It's hardly a collection of immediate anthems

Maybe the hooks are hiding beneath all the mid tempo muck. I will try and listen for them next time.

I can hear what you're saying, because I'm a bit astonished by how much this reminds me of the Bayley albums. It's hardly a collection of immediate anthems

mid tempo seems to be a big hurdle for people. and i'll concede it's a valid complaint. just not one i share, lol

Mick

mid tempo seems to be a big hurdle for people. and i'll concede it's a valid complaint. just not one i share, lol

Mick

I only have an issue with mid tempo because all the songs are that. At least with all their other albums over the last 25 years they threw in some faster songs to balance things out. I don't get a Blaze era vibe from the album. This isn't like anything else they have ever done but doing something different doesn't necessarily mean that they're doing something good.

Mick

I only have an issue with mid tempo because all the songs are that. At least with all their other albums over the last 25 years they threw in some faster songs to balance things out. I don't get a Blaze era vibe from the album. This isn't like anything else they have ever done but doing something different doesn't necessarily mean that they're doing something good.

I hope it's a grower, I am still in denial about how disappointed I was by Human Nature

• Like 1

Mick

I hope it's a grower, I am still in denial about how disappointed I was by Human Nature

human nature is just..........fine i guess, lol

Mick

Ok. First listen. As many of you know, I love book of Souls. And my favorite tracks are Blood Brothers Trooper and The Red and the Black. At first listen to this, I really liked Death of the Celts and The Darkest Hour.

I will admit it is somewhat formulaic. But if you like the formula then that's not necessarily a bad thing. I like when they do the galloping tempo thing and I like when I can hear Steve Harris's bass doing that dirty twangy thing, I don't really know the proper term for it but I think you know what I mean.

I do think some of the songs were a little too low for Bruce and should have been up maybe a step or a half step which I think lends to the opinion that some people have had about there not being any energy in this, and I feel like that's because his vocals aren't always really clear because it seems like he's having trouble going down there to get them.

Could the middle of some of those songs been cut by a minute or two and still been good? Yes, absolutely, I mean there are riffs and licks that they do like 15 times in a row. But overall I like it and I think I will continue to like it more as I listen. If someone is looking for groundbreaking material from them, I don't think they're going to find it here.

• Like 5

Mick

human nature is just..........fine i guess, lol

Mick

It's one of the best "decent" albums I've ever heard.

• Like 1

Had a second listen and I can honestly say that there really isn't anything on this album I feel I need to hear again. That is the first time I can say that about any Maiden album. Even the albums with Blaze have some songs I don't mind revisiting. But this just sounds so uninspiring.

Oh well, they still have plenty of good stuff I still enjoy.

• Like 1