The Official Iron Maiden Thread

Nate2112

Tried giving it another listen today. Only got 4 songs in & gave up. I just don't get the appeal of this one at all. That being said I quite like Writing & Stratego as I've learned them on guitar so a good deal of that content has stuck in my musical memory so to speak.

What about Thin Lizzy's Soldier of Fortune harmony guitar parts?

Great song. Nearly the best on its album.

• Like 1

Uh no, Harris to this day is still the best songwriter in the band.

6 posts in and ready to leap in to the fray with an unpopular opinion, right on!

:popcorn:

If it's an unpopular opinion to state the guy who single-handedly wrote When the Wild Wind Blows, The Red and the Black, and Hell on Earth from the last three albums is still the best, then I'm glad to be controversial. I certainly don't want to be in The Writing on the Wall camp. ;)

Edited (after reading J2112YYZ's post under this): If we're considering their entire career, Harris is imo the best writer in the band without argument no matter how you slice it. Hallowed Be Thy Name, Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Alexander the Great, etc.

Edited by Devour
  • Like 1

6 posts in and ready to leap in to the fray with an unpopular opinion, right on!

Unpopular opinion? Who thinks that Harris isn't the best songwriter in the band? I think the majority of the fans believe he is. If you want to throw in Bruce's two solo albums he did with Adrian and say he's the best songwriter in the band then maybe there's an argument to be made. But Bruce did not write that material for Maiden. So, Steve is definitely the best songwriter in the band.

• Like 2

Unpopular opinion? Who thinks that Harris isn't the best songwriter in the band? I think the majority of the fans believe he is. If you want to throw in Bruce's two solo albums he did with Adrian and say he's the best songwriter in the band then maybe there's an argument to be made. But Bruce did not write that material for Maiden. So, Steve is definitely the best songwriter in the band.

It seems like an unpopular opinion from my perspective, considering how many comments I've seen on here lamenting the Harris penned epics as the least great thing about Maiden these days. But maybe I'm just hearing the haters louder than the lovers.

I'm really shocked the hate this album is getting...I really feel like this is the only place I've seen trash it. In the real world, all my friends love it!
  • Like 1

I'm really shocked the hate this album is getting...I really feel like this is the only place I've seen trash it. In the real world, all my friends love it!

people at the DT forum (mostly) are positive about it too. most of the kick back seems to be on TRF. i've seen mostly positive reviews elsewhere as well.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

people at the DT forum (mostly) are positive about it too. most of the kick back seems to be on TRF. i've seen mostly positive reviews elsewhere as well.

Mick

Well you know Rush fans. If Geddy ain't yodelin', the record ain't golden!

:P

• Like 2

I've only spoken to 2 other people outside of this forum so that's hardly representative of the population at large I grant you, but both are in their late 50s, both have been rabid Maiden fans since the very beginning (pre- record deal) & both think it's rubbish. One of them sent me this text on Friday - "Sh1t title, sh1t cover, sh1t songs".

I've only spoken to 2 other people outside of this forum so that's hardly representative of the population at large I grant you, but both are in their late 50s, both have been rabid Maiden fans since the very beginning (pre- record deal) & both think it's rubbish. One of them sent me this text on Friday - "Sh1t title, sh1t cover, sh1t songs".

Hopefully it's a grower. Nothing worse than truly not vibing with a new release from an old favourite.

I feel like maybe I love modern Maiden exactly as much as eighties. I now don't even notice all the repetition, not like I once did. To me, new era Maiden is a gift that keeps on giving.

I mean I really didn't like Brave New World for years, and I didn't like The Book Of Souls at first either (but I put that down to it coming out around the same time as Nightwish- Endless Forms Most Beautiful, and well, that's still hands down my favourite album of the last decade).

Maybe for many, this album will be like that.

• Like 1

My friend who is four years older than me and been a Maiden fan for longer than I have kinda feels the same way I do about the album. So, maybe there is something to what Rod said in the other thread about how it's the older longtime fans that seem to not be digging it. My brother who is just as big of a Maiden fan as me is afraid to give the album a listen because of all the long songs and some of the bad stuff he's heard from me and read online about it. So, there is certainly some dislike for Senjitsu outside of this forum.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

My friend who is four years older than me and been a Maiden fan for longer than I have kinda feels the same way I do about the album. So, maybe there is something to what Rod said in the other thread about how it's the older longtime fans that seem to not be digging it. My brother who is just as big of a Maiden fan as me is afraid to give the album a listen because of all the long songs and some of the bad stuff he's heard from me and read online about it. So, there is certainly some dislike for Senjitsu outside of this forum.

Yes I agree it does seem to be the older fans who have taken against it.

Edited by Turbine Freight

Yes I agree it does seem to be the older fans who have taken against it.

That hasn't been my impression at all. It's pretty divisive on social media sites too.

• Like 1

Okay so I am loving Senjutsu. I think it's incredible. Want to know something else?

It's got me to listen to the more recent albums again. Every single time I come back to these albums, I love them more and more!

Dance Of Death is stupidly overlooked!

• Like 2

I've listened to this album several times now.

I always need several listens to really get an album, so this in itself isn't unusual. Sometimes I start liking an album less, sometimes more.

So after several listens:

Negatives:

1-I dislike the keyboards. They aren't interesting, and they only mute the songs. Unlike Seventh Son their use here is just bad.

2-No rockers. I mean fast paced short songs. I'd like one or two.

Positives:

1- instrumental passages are fantastic. I like them more each time. My favorite all out jams by then this century.

2- every song grew on me. Not one faded.

3- interesting music with more variety than they've had in a while (aside from the pace stagnation.)

My verdict- excellent album. It keeps getting better. It had hooked me.

I find Bruce's voice has changed, but I also found that Maiden adapted to that so he sounds fine.

Favorite tracks now:

Darkest Hour

Hell On Earth

Lost In A Lost World

Growing:

Parchment

Time Machine

Death of the Celts

Least favorite:

Stratego.

I really hate the keys here most.

Otherwise I like it.

I've listened to this album several times now.

I always need several listens to really get an album, so this in itself isn't unusual. Sometimes I start liking an album less, sometimes more.

So after several listens:

Negatives:

1-I dislike the keyboards. They aren't interesting, and they only mute the songs. Unlike Seventh Son their use here is just bad.

2-No rockers. I mean fast paced short songs. I'd like one or two.

Positives:

1- instrumental passages are fantastic. I like them more each time. My favorite all out jams by then this century.

2- every song grew on me. Not one faded.

3- interesting music with more variety than they've had in a while (aside from the pace stagnation.)

My verdict- excellent album. It keeps getting better. It had hooked me.

I find Bruce's voice has changed, but I also found that Maiden adapted to that so he sounds fine.

Favorite tracks now:

Darkest Hour

Hell On Earth

Lost In A Lost World

Growing:

Parchment

Time Machine

Death of the Celts

Least favorite:

Stratego.

I really hate the keys here most.

Otherwise I like it.

I wonder if part of the reason for no rockers is Bruce's aging voice. It can be easier to sing things at a slower tempo than a faster tempo, especially things at the top of your range.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo
  • Like 2

The title track and Paschendale are top tier Maiden epics. Rainmaker is one of Dave Murray's best performances and No More Lies has a great guitar solo run.

The rest of the album is rather middle of the road for me.

The title track and Paschendale are top tier Maiden epics. Rainmaker is one of Dave Murray's best performances and No More Lies has a great guitar solo run.

The rest of the album is rather middle of the road for me.

same.

Rainmaker

Pashendle

Dance of death

Journeyman

i can take or leave the rest depending on the day.

Mick