Favorite Concert DVD?

That One Guy

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm pretty much tied between R30 and A Show of Hands. Grace Under Pressure Tour is not too far behind.

R30 has the best sound, (especially Neil's snare drum) and for flexibility reasons, the better setlist. A Show of Hands has my personal favorite songs from PoW and HYF, and I'm quite fond of the way they performed all of the songs on that DVD.

I'm not entirely sure if I'm right, but doesn't the Grace Under Pressure Tour footage exist in its entirety? If so, and the full show is released on BluRay, then it might barely top A Show of Hands.

For me it's R30 all the way. The first medley, R30 Overture is so unbelievable.

I am not a big medley fan always thinking how much I'd rather hear whatever songs are being played, in their entirety. That being said, the R30 Overture changed medleys for me.

Anyone who doesn't have R30 DVD/CD and you won't be getting it anytime soon, you need to go to Amazon (or somewhere else where they sell mp3's) and purchase the R30 Overture!

It's only $.99 on Amazon.

R30 MP3's on Amazon

Tie between R-30 BD and Snakes & Arrows BD.

Snakes is visually stunning and R-30 has an amazing set list (S&A too) can;t pick one.

I love ESL but we get a condensed show. My goodness i would love to have that entire show.

But it will never happen. sad.gif

I always get upset when they don't capture the concert on it's best. I think that the Moving Pictures Tour setlist was the most perfect of all time, but why does the ESL video is just a TV special, not a video representation of a Rush concert? Nor even the ESL album (which is easily one of the best live albums of all time) is even close to what a Moving Pictures Tour concert was in fact. That becomes really clear when you listen to some bootlegs from that tour.

I love it, but not enough to consider my favourite DVD.

I obviously prefer the RIR DVD, but they are getting better and better on each new DVD.

However, my favourite DVD would be "Rush In Rio 2010". I am a witness that the the guys were even better this time! That's a pitty it wasn't filmed.

QUOTE (Todem @ Oct 19 2010, 08:59 AM)
Tie between R-30 BD and Snakes & Arrows BD.

Snakes is visually stunning...

yes.gif

We were watching the S&A Blu-Ray this past weekend and my Hubby observed that, while many people swear that HD was made for sports, he thinks it is in music concerts where it achieves its acme.

And he was involved with the development of HD so I bow to his expertise.

I like the opening medley and back-from-the-dead songs like Force 10 and Mystic Rythms, but I don't like that they edited out a bunch of songs from R30 and kept in all the cover songs from Feedback which I've only listened to once. R30 almost seems too short.

QUOTE (jnoble @ Oct 21 2010, 05:36 PM)
I like the opening medley and back-from-the-dead songs like Force 10 and Mystic Rythms, but I don't like that they edited out a bunch of songs from R30 and kept in all the cover songs from Feedback which I've only listened to once. R30 almost seems too short.

Not that it helps if you only have a regular dvd player but you are aware that the complete concert is on Bluray now, right?

I was frustrated too when it was first released but the new version with the 8 songs replaced gives it the magnitude that a Rush anniversary show should have. It was worth the wait.

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Oct 22 2010, 07:12 PM)

Not that it helps if you only have a regular dvd player but you are aware that the complete concert is on Bluray now, right?

I was frustrated too when it was first released but the new version with the 8 songs replaced gives it the magnitude that a Rush anniversary show should have. It was worth the wait.

Damn that pisses me off! I didn't know that. I bought the deluxe DVD which was worth it because it had the bonus CD but I hate knowing my DVD doesn't have those 8 songs. I don't have a Blu Ray player but now I think I will have to get one just for this.

You know, what I think makes the difference is the extended medley at the end. The omitted songs are great to hear, and the band finally shows some energy, something in which the original DVD was severely lacking. Not to mention that the show looks and sounds amazing biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Presto_a RUSH fan_06-08-90 @ Oct 22 2010, 07:17 PM)

Damn that pisses me off! I didn't know that. I bought the deluxe DVD which was worth it because it had the bonus CD but I hate knowing my DVD doesn't have those 8 songs. I don't have a Blu Ray player but now I think I will have to get one just for this.

Well, even if you get the Bluray make sure to keep what you've got because the new expanded Bluray is nothing but the concert. You'll still want your Deluxe dvd for the cds of the show and the bonus dvd with all the archive stuff. But yeah, the extra 50 or so minutes (the show is now 3 hours and 1 minute long) makes a huge difference even though Alex really slops up YYZ terribly. Of course, those who have the Rush documentary have seen that by now. La Villa Strangiato in particular is fantastic in my opinion. The Trees, too.

Exit...Stage Left for me;

I love Ged's bass tone on it; So gnarly and punchy.

The By-Tor/In The End/In The Mood/Grand Finale medley kicks ass, they should really consider playing it at the ends of shows again. 1022.gif

QUOTE (Steevo @ Oct 23 2010, 12:53 AM)
QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Oct 22 2010, 01:14 PM)
ESL. What a crying shame the whole concert isn't there.

If I had just one wish concerning Rush...

I agree that the whole show would be a real treasure (as would the other 80s shows for me, especially GUP). But many times I've heard people specifically say they want all of ESL so they can finally see Jacob's Ladder. It wasn't played when they filmed that show or at any other show on the MP tour, the second quarter of the ESL album was recorded on the Permanent Waves tour in Scotland. A lot of people don't realize that.

Archived