Favorite Classic '80s Arcade Game?

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

What's your Favorite Classic '80s Arcade Game?  

263 members have voted

1. 1. What's your Favorite Classic '80s Arcade Game?

• Arkanoid
    • Asteroids
    • Berzerk
    • Centipede
    • Defender
    • Dig Dug
    • Donkey Kong
    • Double Dragon
    • Frogger
    • Galaga
    • Galaxian
    • Gauntlet
    • Joust
    • Mario Bros.
    • Millipede
    • Missle Command
    • Mortal Kombat
    • Ms. Pac Man
    • Night Driver
    • Pac Man
    • Phoenix
    • Pole Position
    • Punch Out!
    • Q-Bert
    • Qix
    • Robotron: 2084
    • Sinistar
    • Space Invaders
    • Spy Hunter
    • Stargate
    • Star Wars
    • Tempest
    • Tetris
    • Tron
    • Xevious
    • Zero Wing
    • Zaxxon
    • Sports game (specify)
    • Other (specify)

Playing those video games (Space Invaders, Galaga, etc) brings back so many memories of my teenage years. The money my friends and I would spend at the local arcade. I do remember playing Q-bert at nearby Taco Bell and thinking how good the graphics were! Does anybody remember the game Qix from the early 80s? You had to draw squares in a 2D screen and avoid a erratic moving line in the rectangle. A very strange game

QUOTE (digitalman30 @ Mar 30 2006, 05:36 PM)
Playing those video games (Space Invaders, Galaga, etc) brings back so many memories of my teenage years. The money my friends and I would spend at the local arcade. I do remember playing Q-bert at nearby Taco Bell and thinking how good the graphics were! Does anybody remember the game Qix from the early 80s? You had to draw squares in a 2D screen and avoid a erratic moving line in the rectangle. A very strange game

Wow! I'd forgotten about that one!

That was about as abstract as games could get!

QUOTE (LaFellaStrangiato @ May 8 2006, 03:29 PM)
I don't think this one has been mentioned...just remembered it reading through the thread...

Anyone remember, 'Marble Madness?'

Hell yeah!

That game was cool. Kinda strange at first but got real addicting when you got the hang of it. One of the few games where percision was everything.

QUOTE (digitalman30 @ Mar 30 2006, 05:36 PM)

yeah, i used to enjoy Qix. it was a nice break from blowing up spaceships. yes.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Mar 15 2006, 09:28 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Mar 15 2006, 02:42 PM)
QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Mar 15 2006, 01:09 PM)
QUOTE (Rush! @ Jan 17 2006, 04:51 PM)
I was not alive in the 80's but I love to play Pacman, Centipede, and my favorite: Robotron: 2084. I challenge anyone here to face me in Robotron. I beat the guy with the highest score ever. Willy Elktrix (probably some name the game made up) had 151,000 or 152,000. I beat him with 180,900. No lies. I've gotten to the very last screen which I believe is the entirely black screen with about 100 of those little orange guys (Grunts?). I still have the original PlayStation and I think in 1996 or 1997 they came out with this game: Williams Arcade's Greatest Hits. It contains: Defender, Defender II, Joust, Robotron: 2084, Sinistar, and Bubbles. One of my favorite games to play.

waffen093.gif  tempted.gif

1-0 might be able to smoke you on that one.

I believe my high score for Robotron is in the 300,000 range. I'll confirm when I get home.

Oops, I was a little off...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/1001001/robotronhigh.jpg

Damn 1-0-0-1 ! That is an amazing score. I thought I was the best at that game laugh.gif Boy was I way off! My highest is now 182,300.

definitely tetris - i played it until my eyes started to hurt. i was probably blinking once a minute - but gauntlet is a close second. i put so much money into that machine at the roller rink.

does anyone remember the journey arcade game?

http://www.ritilan.com/archives/images/blogimages/010704_titlearcade.jpg

http://www.ghg.net/richd/Journey/Memorabelia/Pics/game.jpg

laugh.gif

QUOTE (feelingwithyourskin @ May 11 2006, 09:25 AM)
definitely tetris - i played it until my eyes started to hurt. i was probably blinking once a minute - but gauntlet is a close second. i put so much money into that machine at the roller rink.

does anyone remember the journey arcade game?
http://www.ritilan.com/archives/images/blogimages/010704_titlearcade.jpg

http://www.ghg.net/richd/Journey/Memorabelia/Pics/game.jpg

laugh.gif

I remember Tetris being especially taxing if I was wearing contacts. Man that game was addicting.

Never played Gauntlet, but I had friends who spent a lot on that. I just rembmer hearing "Wizard needs food, badly!" a thousand times while I was playing a different game. laugh.gif

Defender! I love that old game so much. Was alot of fun to me when I was little, and still is.

QUOTE (Taril @ Jun 7 2006, 09:23 PM)
Defender! I love that old game so much. Was alot of fun to me when I was little, and still is.

I remember there were a few kids in my area who teamed up to play on one quarter for about 18 hours or so. I forget the exact amount of time they played. I think there were a lot of stories about kids who scored like that on Defender, though.

QUOTE (anagramking @ Jun 13 2006, 02:59 PM)

I remember there were a few kids in my area who teamed up to play on one quarter for about 18 hours or so. I forget the exact amount of time they played. I think there were a lot of stories about kids who scored like that on Defender, though.

Stargate was way more fun than Defender. So many hidden tricks in that game.

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Jun 13 2006, 02:13 PM)
QUOTE (anagramking @ Jun 13 2006, 02:59 PM)

Stargate was way more fun than Defender. So many hidden tricks in that game.

I sucked at both of those games. I agree that Stargate was a better game, though.

I had to go with Star Wars. As cheesy as it was, it was real fun exploding up the Death Star over & over again!

Ms. Pac-Man biggrin.gif .

Man, I sunk SO many quarters into that game in college. Then, wouldn't you know it, my first job out of college, I worked on a computer board manufacturing line - running a machine that was joystick operated. Nobody could figure out how I was so good with the joystick right off the bat... rofl3.gif

Definitely Defender! I loved that game! I used to spend HOURS playing it in college ...I used to be able to roll the score over playing one one quarter.

http://www.cinemedioevo.net/Film/DF/dragonslair01.jpg

I am seriously addicted to Dragon's Lair right now. I go play it weekly in the Union at ASU. Such a great game! 1022.gif 1287.gif