Favorite Classic '80s Arcade Game?

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

What's your Favorite Classic '80s Arcade Game?  

263 members have voted

1. 1. What's your Favorite Classic '80s Arcade Game?

• Arkanoid
    • Asteroids
    • Berzerk
    • Centipede
    • Defender
    • Dig Dug
    • Donkey Kong
    • Double Dragon
    • Frogger
    • Galaga
    • Galaxian
    • Gauntlet
    • Joust
    • Mario Bros.
    • Millipede
    • Missle Command
    • Mortal Kombat
    • Ms. Pac Man
    • Night Driver
    • Pac Man
    • Phoenix
    • Pole Position
    • Punch Out!
    • Q-Bert
    • Qix
    • Robotron: 2084
    • Sinistar
    • Space Invaders
    • Spy Hunter
    • Stargate
    • Star Wars
    • Tempest
    • Tetris
    • Tron
    • Xevious
    • Zero Wing
    • Zaxxon
    • Sports game (specify)
    • Other (specify)

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Apr 7 2005, 05:45 AM)
It would have been Defender, but 1-0-0 being the video game afficiando he is, he included the sequel to Defender, Stargate! Many, many hours and quarters were spent playing Stargate. I can still remember the day I broke 100,000 points for the first time it was the highlight of my young life at the time laugh.gif

Stargate was awesome. I deposited many quarters myself.

I remember having a calus on my thumb from hitting the reverse button.

I had a friend who would play for an hour on a single quarter.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 6 2005, 08:25 PM)
For those old enough to remember...which game cost you more quarters than the rest?

Conflict...

My favorite was Asteroids, but the 7-11 across the street from school had a space invaders and that puppy took all my quarters from 1979-1981.

• Like 1

QUOTE (Bastille Night @ Apr 7 2005, 08:51 AM)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v335/bastillenight/defendergame.gif

1022.gif  cool10.gif

Boy, that brings back memories...Defender was my first addiction (even before black tar heroin!). Defender, then Stargate, then Robotron, then Joust (all Williams games -- probably not a coincidence).

I'm kidding about the heroin, of course. It was actually crack. cool10.gif

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Apr 6 2005, 11:39 PM)
There was another one that was multiple games in one (space invaders, galaxian) If you lost it talked to you: "You Lose Space Cadet" in this cheesy robotic voice, but I can't remember what it was called. I put lots & lots of quarters in this one.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/1001001/gorf.jpg

I gotta go with Tempest on this one. It was a tough call, as I dumped oodles of quarters into Galaga, Time Pilot, and Sinistar. Strangely enough, the only one of those I usually see anymore is Galaga and I'm always drawn towards it. I simply will not pass a Galaga machine without having a go at it.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 6 2005, 10:41 PM)
I chose "Robotron: 2084." One of those very rare games that used two joysticks simutaneously. No thinking, all adrenaline. My other faves are "Defender" and "Joust."

Like the William's games eh? I got them emulated in a small file on the PC if you want them.

Double Dragon by far (without the stupid elbow move).

Space Duel was cool too (off the cover of The Who's It's Hard)

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Apr 6 2005, 10:31 PM)
"Tempest" without a doubt. The hotel we always stayed in when we went to the beach had this game, and I played it for HOURS. I was gooooood, too.

smile.gif

Just like the kid in the Subdivisions video!

YES!!! Great to see that Tempest screen again...

bekloppt.gif Barn and Batman smile.gif Barn, I forgot totally about the Subdivisions video!

cool.gif

QUOTE (physics23 @ Apr 7 2005, 05:33 AM)
My vote went to "Other." I used to spend hours playing Rolling Thunder at the local arcade, Chuck E. Cheese's. I don't think I ever got past the second level.
Another game I played a lot was Rampage. You got to grab people out of their apartments and eat them. And if you didn't eat enough, you started shrinking. smile.gif

Ahh the cartoonish games of the lat 80s. Xenophobe was another good one from the makers of Rampage.

QUOTE (dweezil @ Apr 7 2005, 06:10 AM)
QUOTE (physics23 @ Apr 7 2005, 07:53 AM)
QUOTE (Drumnut @ Apr 7 2005, 08:35 AM)
I had to say other. I never liked video games. (still don't) I always played Pinball machines or shot pool.

Yeah, pinball's awesome. A dream of mine is to have a real pinball machine in my basement.

And a pool table.

Well...and other stuff.

But surely you weren't shooting pool when you were a kid?

Drumnut is 65.

In the 80s he wasn't a kid no.gif

Not quite 65 Dweez. 19.gif wink.gif I grew up on Bolling A.F.B. in Washington D.C. The youth and rec centers there were full of pool tables. It was either shoot pool or go to the bowling alley. Shooting pool was free. During the summer, I practiced for a couple of hours a day. It kept me off the streets. I've gone to bars and shot pool and been accused of being a hustler. How are you hustling pool when you are shooting for the right to play the next player and there is no money on the table? The challenger has to pay fifty cents for the next game. I guess some people don't like paying fifty cents for a game of pool and then watching the table get cleared on them. confused13.gif

I have been playing Dig Dug and Bosconian with my 7 year old...we have two of these little arcade game thingies that plug into the TV A/V slots. We have these two...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/RushBabe/Board%20Pics/walloffame_1840_29378022.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/RushBabe/Board%20Pics/walloffame_1840_29817103.jpg

Anyway, Dig Dug is driving me batty. I KNOW I used to be better at playing this stuff. Now, I ROCK on Pac-Man. biggrin.gif And Xevious? I love it, but I can't DO it. ARGH!!!!!!

Hard to believe, but I never played a true Arcade game until 1 yr ago - down at Disney. Yes, I led a sheltered life as a child!!!

But - we did have a Commodore 64, and Frogger was my favorite game!!

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Apr 12 2005, 02:24 PM)
I have been playing Dig Dug and Bosconian with my 7 year old...we have two of these little arcade game thingies that plug into the TV A/V slots. We have these two...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/RushBabe/Board%20Pics/walloffame_1840_29378022.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/RushBabe/Board%20Pics/walloffame_1840_29817103.jpg

Anyway, Dig Dug is driving me batty. I KNOW I used to be better at playing this stuff. Now, I ROCK on Pac-Man. biggrin.gif And Xevious? I love it, but I can't DO it. ARGH!!!!!!

Bosconian rocks! Awesome voice synth too eh biggrin.gif