Favorite Classic '80s Arcade Game?

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

What's your Favorite Classic '80s Arcade Game?  

263 members have voted

1. 1. What's your Favorite Classic '80s Arcade Game?

• Arkanoid
    • Asteroids
    • Berzerk
    • Centipede
    • Defender
    • Dig Dug
    • Donkey Kong
    • Double Dragon
    • Frogger
    • Galaga
    • Galaxian
    • Gauntlet
    • Joust
    • Mario Bros.
    • Millipede
    • Missle Command
    • Mortal Kombat
    • Ms. Pac Man
    • Night Driver
    • Pac Man
    • Phoenix
    • Pole Position
    • Punch Out!
    • Q-Bert
    • Qix
    • Robotron: 2084
    • Sinistar
    • Space Invaders
    • Spy Hunter
    • Stargate
    • Star Wars
    • Tempest
    • Tetris
    • Tron
    • Xevious
    • Zero Wing
    • Zaxxon
    • Sports game (specify)
    • Other (specify)

Ah, the memories. Playing video games at the arcade at the Pizza Hut.

I voted for Gauntlet, but I like a lot of them. I do not see Gauntlet mentioned often- is it obscure?

As much as I love Tetris, I did not play it till the 90s thanks to the NES. Hence I was not able to nominate it.

Took my annual trip to Fun Spot in New Hampshire a couple months back. It's the largest arcade in the world, and it's got about 300 of the old classic coin-op games. 1022.gif

http://www.joystixgames.com/photos/MARIO.JPG

Found myself drawn to Mario Bros. (NOT the more popular "Super Mario Bros., just "Mario Bros.") Also played a lot of Kung Fu Master. Remember this one? I used to be able to get through all five levels and end the game, but now I can't get past level two.

http://www.fraserking.co.uk/arcade/screenshots/kung-fu-master-1.jpg

Track and Field and Pac-Man get lots of play, too. And Elevator Action. And so many others!

Edited by GeddyRulz

^^^ AWESOME!!! drool1.gif Why do arcade games still look so cool and inviting. I noticed you didn't mention Gyrus which is definitely in my Top 5 and one of the few games I actually mastered (I can still hear that tune tormenting me...da dada dada dada dada laugh.gif ). I'll always be on the lookout for these kind of places if I make it over on my next holiday. Truly amazing, they never die, thanks!! smile.gif trink38.gif

QUOTE (Steevo @ Nov 16 2010, 03:15 PM)
I noticed you didn't mention Gyrus which is definitely in my Top 5 and one of the few games I actually mastered

It's probably there, it's just a game I never played and don't notice as I pass.

Anyone remember a game called Guerilla War? It was my favorite game growing up. I can't remember how many times I beat it. laugh.gif

All I can say is thank god for emulation these days...

But I would love to take a road trip to NH and spend about $50 there... there are a couple of arcades in Chicagoland that have a lot of machines, but nowhere near as many as Fun Spot.

When I live in Orlando, there used to be a small chain of arcades called Fun Machine. They had state of the art machines (for 1993-1995), but tons of classic machines too. Until they shut down in 1996, I think. Fun Spot could exist in Orlando in the tourist area, easily.

QUOTE (Rendclaw @ Nov 20 2010, 01:29 PM)
When I live in Orlando, there used to be a small chain of arcades called Fun Machine. They had state of the art machines (for 1993-1995), but tons of classic machines too. Until they shut down in 1996, I think. Fun Spot could exist in Orlando in the tourist area, easily.

You should go to Disney Quest in Downtown Disney, they have nearly every classic arcade cabinet you could think of and you don't need quarters, just pay the admission to get in and it's unlimited retro and modern arcades (and some of the modern ones blew me away).

I can't vote on this pole....I'm tied with Pac-Man and Space Invaders.

Once you learned how to do the Dragon Elbow, the game was a piece of cake, just like Double Dragon II. Just move, don;t get caught between enemies and elbow them all into the grave.

Defender is impossible to play on a game pad, you need an actual joystick with buttons, never mind Stargate.

Though check this out, folks.... I think you'll appreciate it for more than one reason:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkh0d-vDdeY

Edited by Rendclaw

Before the arcade near me closed in 2009, I used to head straight for Pac Man. My aunt got me hooked on the game when she plugged in her old Atari one time and I played Pac Man for hours. Still my favorite. Had to waste a good amount of quarters on it. Other than that, I like Frogger and Tetris.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Nov 14 2010, 12:35 PM)
Took my annual trip to Fun Spot in New Hampshire a couple months back. It's the largest arcade in the world, and it's got about 300 of the old classic coin-op games. 1022.gif

http://www.joystixgames.com/photos/MARIO.JPG

Found myself drawn to Mario Bros. (NOT the more popular "Super Mario Bros., just "Mario Bros.") Also played a lot of Kung Fu Master. Remember this one? I used to be able to get through all five levels and end the game, but now I can't get past level two.

http://www.fraserking.co.uk/arcade/screenshots/kung-fu-master-1.jpg

Track and Field and Pac-Man get lots of play, too. And Elevator Action. And so many others!

When I went to Funspot last, I met/ saw Hank Chen, the current Donkey Kong world record holder.

QUOTE (GuitarKid 1880 @ Jul 29 2011, 10:08 PM)
There was this game in the 80's called "Golden Axe", weirdest arcade game ever, but it was very fun for what it's worth. My dad got it off the PS Store for free as a PS+ user, so we sat down and played it for a while. 'Tis fun playing that.

There is a rare move you can do when you pump the jump button twice in the air and hold your sword downwards and stab the enemy in the head. It caused like a quarter damage to the enemy. Really tough to do (this is the arcade version I'm talking about).