Favorite Classic '80s Arcade Game?

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

What's your Favorite Classic '80s Arcade Game?  

263 members have voted

1. 1. What's your Favorite Classic '80s Arcade Game?

• Arkanoid
    • Asteroids
    • Berzerk
    • Centipede
    • Defender
    • Dig Dug
    • Donkey Kong
    • Double Dragon
    • Frogger
    • Galaga
    • Galaxian
    • Gauntlet
    • Joust
    • Mario Bros.
    • Millipede
    • Missle Command
    • Mortal Kombat
    • Ms. Pac Man
    • Night Driver
    • Pac Man
    • Phoenix
    • Pole Position
    • Punch Out!
    • Q-Bert
    • Qix
    • Robotron: 2084
    • Sinistar
    • Space Invaders
    • Spy Hunter
    • Stargate
    • Star Wars
    • Tempest
    • Tetris
    • Tron
    • Xevious
    • Zero Wing
    • Zaxxon
    • Sports game (specify)
    • Other (specify)

You know, I loved the Star Wars game but I was not very good at it. I can't remember if it was Galaga but the one I got pretty good at was the one where you were the white fighter that went back and forth across the bottom and you fired at things that would do loops in front of you. Ah, the days...and quarters.

I can't remember if it was Galaga but the one I got pretty good at was the one where you were the white fighter that went back and forth across the bottom and you fired at things that would do loops in front of you.

Yeah, that sounds like Galaga. I was ok at it but I hated the gameplay. Gyruss on the other hand was loads more enjoyable. Simple solution of 360d makes for so much more fun! I got good but unfortunately it grew to be a problem as friends only have so much patience. I only played a few games in the mid 80s of ones I would get good value on and they were usually spacies :hail:

So many good ones, but Tempest wins, no contest. God I miss those 80's arcades!

and whenever i get back to Vegas I MUST hit the Pinball Museum.

Oh Lord, so many years and quarters ago. I can't recall which game got the most money, but off the poll list, my favs were: Asteriods, Defender, Dig Dug, Donkey Kong, Joust, Punch Out, Q*bert, Space Invaders, Tron and Zaxxon.

:musicnote:

Those were the days my friend

We thought they'd never end

We'd sing and dance forever and a day

We'd live the life we choose

We'd fight and never lose

For we were young and sure to have our way.

La la la la...

:musicnote:

• Like 1

Where is Mappy? Definitely one of my favs. Still play it on my PC. Super Mario, Dig Dug, and Popeye were some of my other favs. Anybody play Russian Attack? I didn't but I remember it being a popular one. Remember the Journey video game with the band members faces on it?

Didn't read all the pages, sorry.

But I doubt anyone has mentioned Time Pilot, where your little spaceship remained in the center of the screen and had to defeat WWII planes, then jets, then Vietnam helicopters, then modern fighters, and finally saucers.

And Sinistar wasn't very good, but it kept startling the hell out of you.

But my very favorite was Rygar. Death by yo-yo!

Didn't read all the pages, sorry.

But I doubt anyone has mentioned Time Pilot, where your little spaceship remained in the center of the screen and had to defeat WWII planes, then jets, then Vietnam helicopters, then modern fighters, and finally saucers.

My Uncle has that full sized game in his basement, I play it every time I visit :) My friend had Asteroids in his basement, but my favorite was Karate Champ. Two joysticks needed to play :)

http://www.topapps.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Karate-Champ.jpg

I'm surprised Defender rated so low in this. It was/is a great game for many reasons.

Still one of my top 3 ever, along with Robotron and Joust. Stargate gets an honorable mention.

Sinistar is pretty good and an interesting take on the space shoot-'em-up, but it didn't grab me like the aformentioned games. (All Williams games, of course.)

• Like 1

I'm surprised Defender rated so low in this. It was/is a great game for many reasons.

Still one of my top 3 ever, along with Robotron and Joust. Stargate gets an honorable mention.

Sinistar is pretty good and an interesting take on the space shoot-'em-up, but it didn't grab me like the aformentioned games. (All Williams games, of course.)

Defender and Joust were my favorite Atari games. I played Defender for like 8 hours straight - one game. I remember when it was finally over, my dad took a picture of the TV. No idea where that picture is though :LOL:
  • Like 1

Defender and Joust were my favorite Atari games. I played Defender for like 8 hours straight - one game. I remember when it was finally over, my dad took a picture of the TV. No idea where that picture is though :LOL:

Which Atari system are we talking about here? I had the 2600 and 5200. The 5200, despite its flawed controller, was pretty slick for its time.

Which Atari system are we talking about here? I had the 2600 and 5200. The 5200, despite its flawed controller, was pretty slick for its time.

We only had the 2600. I still have it in my basement!

just a side note....

You know those original controllers....

http://levelsave.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/misc2600controllerwh8.jpg

Well that rubber sleeve slides off quite easily, and one day I stuck it to my forehead. No idea why, and I had it on there for hours while I played. When I went to take it off, I had a purple spot in the middle of my forehead that stayed for DAYS! what an idiot.

Always dreamed about owning an Atari as a kid but we never got around to it. Just settled for one of those budget consoles which were always poorer copies. I had friends that had computer games and the Atari though so I had my fill that way. When the PS1 was released it was all over.

Used to be able to play the stand up Defender on one quarter for a couple hours....would just keep rolling the score counter over

ms pacman of course!!! but i do remember Bad Dudes getting my quarters too!

RushON!!!

:dweez:

Yeah, I can still remember passing the original Pacman everyday before and after school in my junior years, I never really got that good at it. Frogger and Donkey Kong was very popular as well at the time but I mainly played Phoenix and Galaga for decent $ worth/enjoyment factor. Defender and Gyruss was to follow a little later for arcade game addiction.