Favorite Classic '80s Arcade Game?

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

What's your Favorite Classic '80s Arcade Game?  

263 members have voted

1. 1. What's your Favorite Classic '80s Arcade Game?

• Arkanoid
    • Asteroids
    • Berzerk
    • Centipede
    • Defender
    • Dig Dug
    • Donkey Kong
    • Double Dragon
    • Frogger
    • Galaga
    • Galaxian
    • Gauntlet
    • Joust
    • Mario Bros.
    • Millipede
    • Missle Command
    • Mortal Kombat
    • Ms. Pac Man
    • Night Driver
    • Pac Man
    • Phoenix
    • Pole Position
    • Punch Out!
    • Q-Bert
    • Qix
    • Robotron: 2084
    • Sinistar
    • Space Invaders
    • Spy Hunter
    • Stargate
    • Star Wars
    • Tempest
    • Tetris
    • Tron
    • Xevious
    • Zero Wing
    • Zaxxon
    • Sports game (specify)
    • Other (specify)

Zaxxon

My dad played it all the time so as soon as I was old enough, so did I.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v670/sevenem/arcadefreak.gif

Wow, this is the first time I've looked at this thread. I voted for Galaga, and was amazed to see it so far in the lead over so many other games. It was definitely my favorite, followed by Tempest, Space Invaders, Defender, and Pac Man. I never really cared for Asteroids.

I simply can't vote, because I played all of those games and loved them all. I spent so much time and money playing games and being a mall rat and arcade junkie in the late 70s/80s, its rather embarrassing to admit. I have a Commodore 64 and am trying to get the puppy working again (or at least find a 1541 drive that works, curse you EBay!!).

I hung out with a bunch of kids who were *very* good at games, and I got a lot better at them, mainly because I got tired of them kicking my ass at those games. Hell, I still have the books on how to beat the video games, and I kept a running tab on my high scores. I looked at that book a few weeks ago and I had to laugh at how obsessed with video games I was.

Staying with the Rush theme, my highest score on Tempest is up around 700,000 points.

Thank God for emulation, because I don;t have to search high and low for places that have the games I love anymore..

Loved Qix and Tempest...

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg64/Kismet00/trf%20links/Tempest.png

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg64/Kismet00/trf%20links/Qix.png

Wasted SO many quarters in those. laugh.gif

Ah, sweet memories!

K

QUOTE (OriginalFan @ May 14 2008, 02:28 PM)
Loved Qix and Tempest...

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg64/Kismet00/trf%20links/Tempest.png

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg64/Kismet00/trf%20links/Qix.png

Wasted SO many quarters in those. laugh.gif

Ah, sweet memories!

K

ACK!! QIX!! ooh you just brought back bad memories....i did not like that game...but I just HAD to win! aarrggghhhh!

but you brought a smile to my face with the screen shot of TEMPEST...that was my vote. LOVE that game.

GAUNTLET is a very very very, nearly interchangeable with first, close second. Hell, I still play.

BLUE VALKYRIE NEEDS FOOD new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I voted "other", because I didn't see Space Wars. It was the first game I remember where two people play, rather than one against the machine. The graphics were very simple: one ship looked like the one from Asteroids, the other like the starship Enterprise. You'd fly around trying to shoot each other, while trying to avoid getting sucked into the gravity of the sun.

I was never terribly good at video games, spent most of my time skateboarding or playing ultimate frisbee. Of course, there were those nights of Kamikazees and Space Invaders at the Dutch House, a local bar that had a lounge table with the game screen built into it.

You know you're an old timer around here when you go to look for your post and it's on the first freakin' page! Sheesh!

So, in all of these pages over all this time - am I the only one who liked Scramble? confused13.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EeyJmx-5Bo...&restrict=false

QUOTE (Pags @ Jul 4 2008, 01:43 PM)
You know you're an old timer around here when you go to look for your post and it's on the first freakin' page! Sheesh!

So, in all of these pages over all this time - am I the only one who liked Scramble? confused13.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EeyJmx-5Bo...&restrict=false

Scramble, To me thats one of the all time classics, Brilliant game, I can always remember the first time i cleared all the screens, Chuffed cool.gif

Then it all began again.... laugh.gif

My vote went to Tempest too, I was fortunate enough to have access to this game at the local deli when I was a kid...Ah, I remember wasting too many quarters on that blasted machine!

Honorable mentions:

Arkanoid

Asteroids

Centipede

Defender

Dig Dug

Frogger

Galaga

Galaxian

Millipede

Ms. Pac Man

Pac Man

Q-Bert

Space Invaders

Tetris

Fortunately, I can play most of these games on my son's PS/2 as well...

Woot! Galaga all the way for me!

Dig Dug is #2. Joust, Pac Man, and Mr. Do were up there too.

EDIT: I didn't like Zaxxon one bit. The isometric view really threw me off as a kid.

Edited by Del_Duio

Hard to pick one!!!

I remember going into Station Break on base in Quantico,Va (USMC) in my Kangaroos waisting 75 cents on trying to play Dragons Lair!! Remember that??

My neighbor Scott and I stayed up all night, and could`nt wait to wake up and ride our bikes to Station Break to play a brand new game called, "Pac-Man" I think it was like 81 or 82!! Don`t forget the Kangaroos with the pockets for your quarters!!!

Galaga, Missle Command, Defender, Tempest, Asteroids, Space Invaders, Spy Hunter, and the Terry Bozzio 4-Way Independence game award goes to Moon Patrol!!! I hated that game.

Ya`ll take care, and wake up tommorrow and watch the Great Space Coaster!!

Syntax Error, The W.O.P.R., and Global-Thermal Nuclear War rofl3.gif 1022.gif

Don`t forget you get Combat free with your Atari 2600 purchase!!!

Ya`ll take care

So hard to choose! A lot of the choices in the list are close.

Tron especially. But I'm gonna have to give my heart to Marble Madness.

It's so fricken awesome!

Tempest was a hit with me.

Galaga of course was very loved. Asteroids MMMMMm asteroids!

Gladiator, from 1984 was really big with me. And phoenix and Arkanoid.

http://www.teaser.fr/~amajorel/marble/marble-all-small.png

We had a defender and a tempest game in the barracks in Germany that I played on some. I bought a mattel intelivision while over there, so didn't play the arcade games that much after that.

Spent far too much money playing Galaxians, Defender & Centipede (in that order) on the arcades back in the 80s.

Thank God for games consoles; saved me a shedload of cash, especially Galaxians, which I would play for hours on end day in day out wink.gif