Favorite Classic '80s Arcade Game?

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

What's your Favorite Classic '80s Arcade Game?  

263 members have voted

1. 1. What's your Favorite Classic '80s Arcade Game?

• Arkanoid
    • Asteroids
    • Berzerk
    • Centipede
    • Defender
    • Dig Dug
    • Donkey Kong
    • Double Dragon
    • Frogger
    • Galaga
    • Galaxian
    • Gauntlet
    • Joust
    • Mario Bros.
    • Millipede
    • Missle Command
    • Mortal Kombat
    • Ms. Pac Man
    • Night Driver
    • Pac Man
    • Phoenix
    • Pole Position
    • Punch Out!
    • Q-Bert
    • Qix
    • Robotron: 2084
    • Sinistar
    • Space Invaders
    • Spy Hunter
    • Stargate
    • Star Wars
    • Tempest
    • Tetris
    • Tron
    • Xevious
    • Zero Wing
    • Zaxxon
    • Sports game (specify)
    • Other (specify)

QUOTE (Rhiannon_of_Rivendell @ Oct 2 2005, 05:59 PM)
QUOTE (Drumnut @ Apr 7 2005, 08:35 AM)
I had to say other. I never liked video games. (still don't) I always played Pinball machines or shot pool.

Hey D,

Ever play Zenon? wink.gif

My FAVE pinball game!

"try tube shot...."

I also liked Q-bert & Ms. Pac Man And one other that was a 4 player, not sure if it was Gauntlet or not... The 80's are a bit fuzzy for me. wacko.gif

Cyclone was a great pinball game.

I remember Gauntlet. I had friends who loved to play that game. "Wizard needs food, badly..."

There was this skateboarding game called 720, too. I had friends who loved that one. "Skate or Die!!"

Nintendo had some vs. games. Vs. baseball, vs. tennis, etc. I preferred the baseball, of course. Seemed like an array of off speed breaking pitches was the most effective way to beat the computer.

Spy Hunter . . . . .

But then again , I had this little trick where ya flicked a penny up inside the coin return slot to register credits . . . .

Quarters !! we don't need no stinking quarters !!! 1287.gif

QUOTE (TNT on PMS @ Oct 7 2005, 02:18 PM)
Spy Hunter . . . . .
But then again , I had this little trick where ya flicked a penny up inside the coin return slot to register credits . . . .
Quarters !! we don't need no stinking quarters !!! 1287.gif

Yikes. I knew kids who did things like that. One famous trick was a flattened straw through the crack in the locked coin door for Donkey Kong. Some would tape a quarter to a string and keep registering credits on other games. I saw kids get chased out of places doing that stuff.

I vote sports game other. Hyper Olympics.. wooooo hoooooo

I'm sure you have, but incase you haven't I have something called M.A.M.E. It stands for Multiple Arcade Machine Emulation. Basically it is an emulator that allows you to play video game roms. Arcade classics like all the ones mentioned in this poll. If anyone is interested in obtaining M.A.M.E I would be more than happy to set you up. It's not illegal as long as you are not selling them. Just imagine playing space invaders or asteroids while listening to rush radio.org. These games are ROM Perfect which means they are exact images of the original coin op video games. I have 2200+ ROMS. Virtually any game you have loved or played in the last 30 years. Just send me a pm and if there interest I will start uploading and make them available to all of you that want them.

If I get a big enough response I will make a FAQ page to help with support.

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Apr 30 2005, 01:10 AM)
Well somebody spends too much time thinking about thinking. "Check out the big brain on Brad!" One shouldn't be so impressed with one's own vocabulary. Who does he think he is... Dennis Miller?
"Put the thesaurus down and step away!"

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

Nice one eh! Now I want to watch Pulp Fiction again.

As for the video games.. I must be the only weirdo who ever liked Zaxxon.

QUOTE (Broncos730 @ Oct 27 2005, 03:31 PM)
Well somebody spends too much time thinking about thinking. "Check out the big brain on Brad!" One shouldn't be so impressed with one's own vocabulary. Who does he think he is... Dennis Miller?

Did I miss a Pulp Fiction reference?

QUOTE (physics23 @ Oct 27 2005, 05:41 PM)

"Check out the big brain on Brad!" Samuel L. Jackson said that in the movie.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Oct 27 2005, 03:41 PM)

Cause Brad knew why a "Quarter Pounder" was called a "Royale with Cheese" in Europe. "Ummm, because they have the metric system?"

Edited by Digital Man

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Oct 27 2005, 05:47 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Oct 27 2005, 03:41 PM)

Cause Brad knew why a "Quarter Pounder" was called a "Royale with Cheese" in Europe. "Ummm, because they have the metric system?"

Heh, then I completely didn't pick up on that. I of course know the "Quarter Pounder" joke, but the alliterated retort slipped past me.

QUOTE (Modest Man From Mandrake @ Oct 14 2005, 06:41 PM)
I'm sure you have, but incase you haven't I have something called M.A.M.E. It stands for Multiple Arcade Machine Emulation. Basically it is an emulator that allows you to play video game roms. Arcade classics like all the ones mentioned in this poll. If anyone is interested in obtaining M.A.M.E I would be more than happy to set you up. It's not illegal as long as you are not selling them. Just imagine playing space invaders or asteroids while listening to rush radio.org. These games are ROM Perfect which means they are exact images of the original coin op video games. I have 2200+ ROMS. Virtually any game you have loved or played in the last 30 years. Just send me a pm and if there interest I will start uploading and make them available to all of you that want them.

If I get a big enough response I will make a FAQ page to help with support.

I have played quite a few M.A.M.E. games already and they really are identical to the originals. Great to play the old games from the 80's that you could never finish because, either you didn't have enough money back then or enough time to do it. hehe

As for games in the public arcade places, I played virtually all the games on the list. Single player I would say Dig Dug and 2 players I would say Joust probably.

Actually, most of the time after the mid 80's was spent playing on a Commodore 64 system that me and a buddy bought between us. Ah, the days of Grand Prix Circuit Formula 1 racing and all the many sports games on the Comm. 64 were great!

You hardcore 80's gamers should really let Modest Man From Mandrake hook you up with some M.A.M.E. action for a blast from the past.

I don't know which was more expensive but I do love playing games from the eighties. On my old computer we had PacMan, DigDug, Pole Position, and Galaxian. Now we have one of those mini player things and it has Pole Position, Mrs. Pacman (The Main one), Galaxian, some other space game, and Mappy. I think my favorite is Pole Position.

I was not alive in the 80's but I love to play Pacman, Centipede, and my favorite: Robotron: 2084. I challenge anyone here to face me in Robotron. I beat the guy with the highest score ever. Willy Elktrix (probably some name the game made up) had 151,000 or 152,000. I beat him with 180,900. No lies. I've gotten to the very last screen which I believe is the entirely black screen with about 100 of those little orange guys (Grunts?). I still have the original PlayStation and I think in 1996 or 1997 they came out with this game: Williams Arcade's Greatest Hits. It contains: Defender, Defender II, Joust, Robotron: 2084, Sinistar, and Bubbles. One of my favorite games to play.

waffen093.gif tempted.gif

I was a teenager during the 80s - the "golden age" of video games. I loved so many of them, and spent mad scrilla trying to perfect my performance on these games.

I love 80s video games! I wish there were a local arcade that still had all these old machines.

QUOTE (Mental Vortex @ Mar 14 2006, 03:45 PM)
I knew my favorite one wasn't listed on here!

Zookeeper

Not a well known game, but it had great gameplay and graphics for its time. I'd LOVE to have one of these in my house if I could ever find one.

That was a great game. I played it at a 7 Eleven near my house until they took it out, and never saw it again after that.

QUOTE (Rush! @ Jan 17 2006, 04:51 PM)
I was not alive in the 80's but I love to play Pacman, Centipede, and my favorite: Robotron: 2084. I challenge anyone here to face me in Robotron. I beat the guy with the highest score ever. Willy Elktrix (probably some name the game made up) had 151,000 or 152,000. I beat him with 180,900. No lies. I've gotten to the very last screen which I believe is the entirely black screen with about 100 of those little orange guys (Grunts?). I still have the original PlayStation and I think in 1996 or 1997 they came out with this game: Williams Arcade's Greatest Hits. It contains: Defender, Defender II, Joust, Robotron: 2084, Sinistar, and Bubbles. One of my favorite games to play.

waffen093.gif tempted.gif

1-0 might be able to smoke you on that one.

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Mar 15 2006, 01:09 PM)

waffen093.gif  tempted.gif

I believe my high score for Robotron is in the 300,000 range. I'll confirm when I get home.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Mar 15 2006, 02:42 PM)
QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Mar 15 2006, 01:09 PM)

waffen093.gif  tempted.gif

I believe my high score for Robotron is in the 300,000 range. I'll confirm when I get home.

Oops, I was a little off...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/1001001/robotronhigh.jpg

With over 5,900 mame games i find it hard to choose, Slap Fight, Flying Shark, Rygar, Robotron & Scramble are a few i could pick out.

If anyones interested in MAME and taking part in a game of the month competition the join this forum Here Three games ongoing this month are Galaga '88, Xevious and Raiden...http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/7510/joystick1oh.gif