A message to all the Rush fans who dont get it!

Astroboy2112

Astroboy2112 nice first post about as longwinded as a Bill Clinton speach and i do agree with you.

Welcome aboard trink39.gif

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (jesse2112 @ Jun 1 2010, 07:58 PM)
I was born in 1991 and I hate 90% of the music playedon mainstream rock radio

But have you listened to new music that you wouldn't hear on mainstream rock radio?

Also, welcome Astroboy2112. VERY ballsy first post. laugh.gif Try not to let people's opinions make you too mad, especially here. If there's one thing I've learned about teh interwebs, opinions, and music, it's this rule: OLD X GOOD NEW X BAD. (X can represent an artist or a genre.) That's not saying that I agree with it, but from what I've seen, most fans of music share this idea. Most Rush fans hate Rush music after like 1987; most Rush fans also hate any music after 1980 and dismiss entire genres without a second thought. If you want some proof, read a bunch of threads in Music of the Spheres, which is our 'other music' subforum.

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jun 1 2010, 10:04 PM)

But have you listened to new music that you wouldn't hear on mainstream rock radio?

Also, welcome Astroboy2112. VERY ballsy first post. laugh.gif Try not to let people's opinions make you too mad, especially here. If there's one thing I've learned about teh interwebs, opinions, and music, it's this rule: OLD X GOOD NEW X BAD. (X can represent an artist or a genre.) That's not saying that I agree with it, but from what I've seen, most fans of music share this idea. Most Rush fans hate Rush music after like 1987; most Rush fans also hate any music after 1980 and dismiss entire genres without a second thought. If you want some proof, read a bunch of threads in Music of the Spheres, which is our 'other music' subforum.

I think there is just as much kneejerk Old X bad New X good going around on the intertubes.

Ah yes , the King Troll axiom! Old Rush good, new Rush bad.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jun 1 2010, 10:06 PM)

I think there is just as much kneejerk Old X bad New X good going around on the intertubes.

I'm not trying to say everyone feels like that... but when I browse last.fm's artist pages, I get that. My Chemical Romance, Fall Out Boy, Green Day, Muse, blink-182... most people's posts are about how they used to be great on their first records, and now they suck. Then again, they're also people who listened to them before anyone knew who they were, and feel disconnected now that this group that was "their" band isn't strictly "their" band anymore.

Well, I don't agree with everything he said but there are a lot of valid points. First, the vast majority of people are conditioned to what they like in their formative years and that will always create a bias against unfamiliar things. It affects movies, music, clothes, everything. GUP got me into this band when I was 16 in 1984 and even though it was kind of over my head for a while I couldn't get enough of it and yet I had to let the 70s stuff grow on me. And even though now I'm one of those fans that really appreciates almost everything Rush has done there's a part of me that will always feel on a gut level that none of their other albums have that same magic to them as GUP does. Depending on my mood I can easily say that I think songs from other albums are better but they simply don't give me the same great vibe. Rush never sounded just like that before or after. That's the case with most fans whether it was a certain album or a certain period of a band's existence, to that fan, that is what the band is supposed to be and what everything is measured against. I've always been aware of this, I'm still affected by it but at least I try to resist it.

The thing older fans don't realize is that music that came later can be just as powerful to those new fans as it was when the old fans got into their stuff. Most Rush fans who grew up on AFTK and Hemispheres will never get why anyone might prefer stuff from their keyboard years or the 90s or whatever because to them "that's not what Rush is supposed to sound like". This is true for all bands with a long history but even more so with Rush because they reinvent themselves far more than most bands. There are lots of younger fans who got into Rush when RTB was new for example and they'll still love that more than some other fans think they should. I'm just saying in a lot of cases it's a case of user-error laugh.gif . When someone says something to the effect of "Rush isn't as good now as when I was in high school" they don't realize what the obvious problem is in a lot of cases. I'm certainly not saying that fans of one era can't be qualified or are too "uneducated" to form an objective opinion about the rest but I do think for a lot of people that bias is really hard to overcome.

It's true too that while it sounds good to say that everybody has an opinion and it should be respected the reality is that all opinions are not equal. With things that are purely artistic it's hard to argue much but even then there are some limits where the person's opinion doesn't really hold any weight. If I get really sick I'm sure not going to ask the clerk at Walmart whether he/she thinks I need to go to a hospital or not, I'm going to ask a doctor. And by the same token, if I'm discussing the history of rock music with my 8 year old nephew who knows of nothing that came before 2008, has never played an instrument, doesn't own a single album, and wouldn't even recognize a song by The Beatles, Elvis, Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, etc. I can tell you that his genuine opinion might be that the greatest band of all time is Band X who he saw on SNL last weekend but his opinion is utterly worthless whether he really believes it or not. A completely uninformed or irrational opinion is simply not worthy of consideration. If you think Ernest Goes to Camp is a greater movie than Casablanca, well, your opinion is just wrong. laugh.gif

Well, as a guy who was born in the late 80's and grew up in the 90's, I can say that most of the music I've listened to/learnt over the years was largely either from my dad or from the radio, or a little combination of both. I would always go on long car rides with him, just so I could listen to songs as we went cruising along. And I LIKED what I heard. He was tuned into a radio station that NONE of my friends knerw about or talked about.

As a matter of fact, a few years back, one of the main hosts of Much Music actually came into my workplace, and all my coworker flocked together to whisper about his presence, and I was nudged by somebody so they could see what my response was, but my response was simply......oblivious confused13.gif

I don't watch MuchMusic and never did, never will. So I had no idea who he was.

I appreciate a lot of newer bands now, but it took me a lot of patience, dedication and hardwork. It was a full-on commitment. What I'm trying to get across here is that once you fully adapt to a certain genre/era, you tend to stick with it. It's hard to find something else when you're so comfortable with something you SURELY like... so I agree with you about the "steak and potatoes" analogy.

There were a lot of good bands to grow up to in the 90's an 00's, but back in the 60's, 70's and 80's, these bands seemed countless in numbers. Everyone was unique.

And just as a personal rant, I'd like to state for the record that I grew up listening and loving Blink 182, but I don't need to hear them 100x. What I mean by this is that EVERY single band that's even remotely pop punk tends to have the exact same sound as them, and it drives me crazy. Everything from the guitar riffs, to the vocals, to their stage antics.. everything is carbon copy. And I'm scared that these bands will be kept around a lot longer because kids today have a poor judge of character.

Thank god for my dad! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Jun 1 2010, 08:36 PM)
Well, I don't agree with everything he said but there are a lot of valid points. First, the vast majority of people are conditioned to what they like in their formative years and that will always create a bias against unfamiliar things. It affects movies, music, clothes, everything. GUP got me into this band when I was 16 in 1984 and even though it was kind of over my head for a while I couldn't get enough of it and yet I had to let the 70s stuff grow on me. And even though now I'm one of those fans that really appreciates almost everything Rush has done there's a part of me that will always feel on a gut level that none of their other albums have that same magic to them as GUP does. Depending on my mood I can easily say that I think songs from other albums are better but they simply don't give me the same great vibe. Rush never sounded just like that before or after. That's the case with most fans whether it was a certain album or a certain period of a band's existence, to that fan, that is what the band is supposed to be and what everything is measured against. I've always been aware of this, I'm still affected by it but at least I try to resist it.

The thing older fans don't realize is that music that came later can be just as powerful to those new fans as it was when the old fans got into their stuff. Most Rush fans who grew up on AFTK and Hemispheres will never get why anyone might prefer stuff from their keyboard years or the 90s or whatever because to them "that's not what Rush is supposed to sound like". This is true for all bands with a long history but even more so with Rush because they reinvent themselves far more than most bands. There are lots of younger fans who got into Rush when RTB was new for example and they'll still love that more than some other fans think they should. I'm just saying in a lot of cases it's a case of user-error laugh.gif . When someone says something to the effect of "Rush isn't as good now as when I was in high school" they don't realize what the obvious problem is in a lot of cases. I'm certainly not saying that fans of one era can't be qualified or are too "uneducated" to form an objective opinion about the rest but I do think for a lot of people that bias is really hard to overcome.

It's true too that while it sounds good to say that everybody has an opinion and it should be respected the reality is that all opinions are not equal. With things that are purely artistic it's hard to argue much but even then there are some limits where the person's opinion doesn't really hold any weight. If I get really sick I'm sure not going to ask the clerk at Walmart whether he/she thinks I need to go to a hospital or not, I'm going to ask a doctor. And by the same token, if I'm discussing the history of rock music with my 8 year old nephew who knows of nothing that came before 2008, has never played an instrument, doesn't own a single album, and wouldn't even recognize a song by The Beatles, Elvis, Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, etc. I can tell you that his genuine opinion might be that the greatest band of all time is Band X who he saw on SNL last weekend but his opinion is utterly worthless whether he really believes it or not. A completely uninformed or irrational opinion is simply not worthy of consideration. If you think Ernest Goes to Camp is a greater movie than Casablanca, well, your opinion is just wrong. laugh.gif

goodpost.gif

"that's not what Rush is supposed to sound like".

Ah, but that's what I love about this band.... it can sound like a lot of things and still sound like Rush.

Rush albums can sometimes sound indicative of the year they were recorded from a sonic and production trend standpoint... yet you still know its them. I find they have come through many of these trends being able to absorb much from them yet not lose themselves in doing so.

I feel they've done a great job at retaining the general character of their core sound regardless of the era in which it came from. Many bands don't do this successfully.

There's a lot of 70s artists that didn't transition into the 80s very well, and there are certainly a lot of 80s artists that didn't transition into the 90s very well.

Rush has never had that problem.

Hey Astroglideboy! Way to make a safe "slide" into home plate tonight.

Opinions are like assholes and we all have one. Those who are born without an asshole will eventually get one too.

Believe me I know. My cousin from Jersey was actually born without an asshole.

The plumbing works great now.

"OPEN UP AND SAY AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"

Love,

POISON 1022.gif

PS: Every Rush Fan Has It's Thorn

Some valid points in your post.

It annoys me as well when guys my age wont give any new music a chance, and just want to stick with the classics. Nothing wrong with that of course. But as a music fan, i try and have an open mind. I like music from all decades.

Welcome to the forum.

QUOTE (Fridge @ Jun 1 2010, 11:16 PM)

Perhaps you should read posts a little more carefully before you fire off what comes across as a rather pompously immature lecture.

Don't forget that throughout the 70s and 80s there were far more radical changes in tone and technology than there has been in recent years, and no one had a problem with their evolving sound then.

Hahaha!!

Who's lecturing who here fella? Take a look in the mirror! Sounds like the old pot calling the kettle black.

You say no one had a problem with their radical changes in the 70's and 80's? I would suggest you correct yourself. There are plenty of people out there that had a problem. One of them being my next door neighbor.

QUOTE (SignatureAurora75 @ Jun 2 2010, 08:15 AM)
QUOTE (Fridge @ Jun 1 2010, 11:16 PM)

Perhaps you should read posts a little more carefully before you fire off what comes across as a rather pompously immature lecture.

Don't forget that throughout the 70s and 80s there were far more radical changes in tone and technology than there has been in recent years, and no one had a problem with their evolving sound then.

Hahaha!!

Who's lecturing who here fella? Take a look in the mirror! Sounds like the old pot calling the kettle black.

You say no one had a problem with their radical changes in the 70's and 80's? I would suggest you correct yourself. There are plenty of people out there that had a problem. One of them being my next door neighbor.

Sigh......

The general consensus of opinion is that their absolutley classic period was between 76-81.....During that time there were indeed radical changes to the sound, and I don't think there is anyone out there (or very, very few) who don't like their output during that period.

No correction needed, I think, but thank you for your input smile.gif

Archived