A message to all the Rush fans who dont get it!

Astroboy2112

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, bold post for a newb! I can't say as I agree with everything you say, but very well done.

And welcome! 2.gif trink39.gif

A very long and poignant first post.

Welcome. Glad you like the new stuff.....I think.

You are right in saying everyone is entitled to their opinions. Here's a lil known fact about opinions: Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and most of them are full of shit.

Welcome to the board!

trink39.gif

Indeed, very bold post for a newbie! trink39.gif

Ok, what about those of us who have tried many times to like more modern music but just generally don't? For how long should I torture myself with new music just to try an acquire the taste so I "get" it? I remember this guy who used to teach these highly acclaimed classical music appreciation classes. No doubt had I taken one I would have appreciated classical music more, but I just didn't want to sit through it based on what I already knew. Why should I? I already had tons of music I loved that didn't put me to sleep. If I spent countless hours and days and weeks and months with new music, I'm sure I'd get to appreciate more, but that would take time away from the eras of music that I already know I love and isn't such hard, hard work. People used to suggest new music to me and I would always check it out, but it was so rare that I liked what they suggested that at some point I just stopped trying (for the most part).

I consider myself pretty damn musical adventurous, even though I listen to primarily 60's and 70's music. I also enjoy some late 80's / early 90's shoegaze, 90's trip hop and ambient. I love a lot of the songs on Snakes & Arrows and almost all of Counterparts, but can't stand most of Presto, RTB, T4E & VT. I like, but don't love, the new tracks. Maybe they will grow on me. Most modern stuff I can't stand, but there are newer bands that I do like - Radiohead, Dream Theater, Portishead, Fleet Foxes, Sigur Ros, etc. - some more than others and none as much as I love my favorite 60's and 70's material. If I listen and I like it, I like it - if I don't, I don't. Can you still stick me in a box?

When I first came on to TRF I had a lot of reasons and theories why people liked or didn't like certain albums because I couldn't understand why they did or didn't like something. I felt like I had to justify somehow why they couldn't see things as I did. In the end, I realized that everyone is unique, that it's hard to make sweeping generalizations like this, and that people just like or don't like what they like or don't like and everyone has different criteria, philosophies and perspectives. No two people have exactly the same tastes and opinions on everything - for me it's miraculous to find someone where we agree even half the time.

You can say I'm not wildly excited about the new songs because I don't get new music just as easily as I can say you appreciate the newer songs because your standards are lower being more into more modern music. Are either statements true? They just sounds like opinions and conjecture and statements that are too easy to make. Yes, I wish Rush still sounded like they did in the 70's and 80's. For the most part, IMHO, they haven't made as good music since, even though there is stuff I've really enjoyed, including these two tracks - just not to the same degree as the older stuff. You could say that's my fault, not the music's fault, but in reality it's all just individual perspective and opinion based on differing criteria for each unique individual. Do you think I ENJOYED not liking 4 out of their last 6 albums after thinking they were virtually flawless for their first 12 albums? No way - I was devastated and I listened to them over and over and over trying to love them - no dice. You can't shove a square peg in a round hole.

Anyway, great first post. wink.gif tongue.gif trink39.gif

Heh, great first post! And you make a valid point that you really need to have an educated opinion to make a valid critique. But I'm afraid that viewpoint has been dumbed down by the internet, as seen in Amazon.com user reviews and moronic YouTube video comments.

And I'm sure that you probably won't change anyone's mind who already has the "it's my opinion, deal with it" mindset.

Plus, I'm afraid that some around here have so much invested in hating the new stuff, it's become part of their TRF identity or persona. wink.gif

I'm a 27 year old female who grew to love Rush during the Roll The Bones/Counterparts days.

I'm not loving the new songs. Nor do I like new rock in general.

so..

Hey I was brought up in the 80's! Yet I still like the new Stuff! I believe the Clockwork Angels stuff is the best stuff they've created in a long time! I actually made a compilation cd of heavier stuff! Much of it came from the 90's and 00's! You would be surprised how good Caravan and BU2B sounds followed by Stick it Out, Driven and Far Cry!

(The new Classics)

Great first post!

applaudit.gif

QUOTE (PariahDog @ Jun 1 2010, 04:48 PM)
Heh, great first post! And you make a valid point that you really need to have an educated opinion to make a valid critique. But I'm afraid that viewpoint has been dumbed down by the internet, as seen in Amazon.com user reviews and moronic YouTube video comments.

And I'm sure that you probably won't change anyone's mind who already has the "it's my opinion, deal with it" mindset.

Plus, I'm afraid that some around here have so much invested in hating the new stuff, it's become part of their TRF identity or persona. wink.gif

I've written a few online articles about bands. They were bands I was very well educated in, and so I was able to write with some real knowledge about their recorded works. Even still, outside of objective facts like they recorded this album in this year, it was all my opinions. I've read a lot of reviews by Robert Christagu who is a professional educated rock critic, and for the most part I find his reviews to be a huge steaming pile of horeshit, just well written.

How on earth can you get around that people's take on any given song or album or group is their opinion? Yes, there's consensus opinion, but even then not everyone agrees on anything. There is simply no objective truth when it comes to taste and opinion on anything artistic. If someone doesn't like your favorite song, they just don't like it, and ultimately it is something you have to deal with if that bothers you. Putting the person down for the way they express their opinion or trying to argue your point of view till you're blue in the face or calling them uneducated and unworthy to have an opinion won't change the fact that they still don't like that song.

And to say that someone refuses to love a song because it's part of their TRF persona is a reach - there are people here already who haven't loved their recent works who like or love one or both of the new songs. A person who is SO stubborn that they refuse to like something they would otherwise enjoy just to maintain an image is going to be a very rare individual indeed. Saying they refuse to like something sounds like an inability to accept the fact that they just don't like it.

QUOTE (Kenneth @ Jun 1 2010, 05:05 PM)
QUOTE (Pound of Obscure @ Jun 1 2010, 04:27 PM)
rofl3.gif

Way to enter a forum.  Nothing like a lecture from a teenager.

With you there, I hate teens.. trink39.gif

Don't listen to Kenneth - he's 17 and just f*cking with you. tongue.gif

And as to whether he's a teenager or not, he has a valid point of view worth discussing IMHO. yes.gif

Teenager? I "grew up" in the 90s, and I'm 25. If he can consciously remember all of the 90s, it means he's older than I am.

Children make me smile biggrin.gif

Astro:

It's the internets. Don't take everything written on here as too literal. A lot of the things you referenced are written to push buttons, keep things lively, troll, and are sometimes even inside jokes since there are some long-term posters here that like to pokey.gif. Having said that, it is possible to have excellent taste in music, appreciate the effort and talent of an artist, and still not like what you hear. It doesn't necessarily indicate ignorance.

AlexFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif

Great post -- I've been thinking this all day, remembering my initial reaction to Signals and Grace Under Pressure, "It's not as good as..." We call RUSH the soundtrack of our life. Sometimes, when we're in the moment, it's hard to get perspective.

I've grown up with Rush. Tow Sawyer came out when I was 13. The more recent RUSH themes are mature. The sci-fi worlds, spaceships and snowdogs are gone, but the ideas and the music are still brilliant.

But, who knows, maybe CLOCKWORK ANGELS will take us back to another world in 2012.

The irony is that this kid is raking us over the coals for being stuck in our tastes, since we prefer the 70s and 80s stuff we grew up with, but then he also says that he prefers the NINETIES stuff which HE grew up with!

Hmmm. So it's okay for a nineties teen to prefer 90s music, but wrong for a former 70s and 80s teen to prefer the music from THEIR formative years????

Thanks for the speech, kid. Go listen to Bones some more. 062802puke_prv.gif

The fact is, and there've been studies to prove it, that most people tend to get locked into the music of their formative teen years and rarely budge for the rest of their lives. That may sound sad or it may sound unbelievable, and you may know people who are exceptions to the rule, but for MOST PEOPLE it's totally true... and that's fine. I grew up in the late 70s and 1980s, and I still mostly listen to that same music today with very little variance. Kill me. But you're doing it, too, with your beloved 90s music... so you're no better.

And by the way, I LOVE the new stuff. "Far Cry" is one of their best songs EVER, and the two spanking new ones are good, too.

Archived