the "random music thoughts" thread

fledgehog

There's absolutely nothing wrong with making music artificially. There are some fantastic music that's been composed without any instruments. You can find something good anywhere in any genre if you look hard enough (cept maybe Dubstep or Juggalo rap).

Submotion Orchestra combines trip hop, ambient and Dub Step perfectly.

Electronic music is a style that can be stunning. Depeche Mode, Massive Attack, Prodigy and recent Muse stand out for me as evidence that electronic music has value.

I've recently found country & hip hop that I enjoy. I used to detest these genre's when I was a mid-teenager but now I found they all have merits to them. Nowadays it's the popular stuff that isn't great but you can always find something great hidden beneath the surface.

for when you just want to make random commentary on whatever music you're listening to/thinking about/whatever, but don't feel like it's threadworthy

What music is made with now:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7017/6551565059_943b92c420_z.jpg

Who makes music now:

http://rampageproductions.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/computer-geek.gif

There's absolutely nothing wrong with making music artificially. There are some fantastic music that's been composed without any instruments. You can find something good anywhere in any genre if you look hard enough (cept maybe Dubstep or Juggalo rap).

Submotion Orchestra combines trip hop, ambient and Dub Step perfectly.

Electronic music is a style that can be stunning. Depeche Mode, Massive Attack, Prodigy and recent Muse stand out for me as evidence that electronic music has value.

I never said that electronic music isn't good. I'm not into it but some people like it and I respect that. My point was that some music today like Justin Beiber and 1 direction doesn't really have any... what's the word... just 'life' really. It all sounds like it's made for money and just to get a top 10 chart, which in my opinion is wrong. I think that the musicians should only make music if they really want to and not for money and fame but for themselves. Some great music is made with computers these days and its been made available to everyone through stuff like Garageband which is awesome. But the music that has no real life or no real feeling in it is the stuff that's being over rated and the real heartfelt music is the stuff that's being cast out. It just annoys the hell out of me.

Sorry if I have you the wrong impression in my first post.

One song that really sums up my feelings is Porcupine Tree's, Sound of Muzak, give it a listen and I hope you'll see what I mean :)

I love Sound of Muzak. I think The Last DJ by Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers is very similar. Music that's popular today is all manufactured. It's a business rather than an art. A product that is sold rather than to be enjoyed. Country is probably one of the worst of it. Earlier they had so much variety. Now it's all about honey shakers and drinking booze.

• Like 1

Every generation of music has had a Bieber.

We just got the worst.

But music fans need to stop making out that modern music is the worst. What hits the radio is shocking most of the time...but come on! Rubbish, soulless, embarrassing music has always been close to the top!

Limp Bizkit

Spice Girls

Wham

All that soft, soulless middle of the road soapy sweet mush in the sixties/seventies that haunt a myriad number of classic films of that era (stuff only The Carpenters could pull off).

Today the problem is the major record labels, not the lack of great artists.

• Like 2

Beethoven invented boogie woogie. The 2nd movement of Piano sonata 32 is the blueprint for the 20th Century R&R revolution.

While I'll be the first to agree that there's a ton of crap music around right now (it gets made because it sells, not because it's good), you have to remember this:

There's not much difference between a "computer weirdo making music on Pro Tools" and Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart sitting alone in his drawing room at the harpsichord for 75 straight hours, not eating or sleeping, and scribbling out a waltz (or four) that the society ladies will eat up at the next ball.

Edited by sitboaf

Iron Maiden and Paradise Lost are the greatest metal bands ever, and both are from the UK.

Nightwish are this era's greatest band.

Love Lacuna Coil. Love Alter Bridge. But Nightwish...a whole different game.

I may have asked this question before, so bear with me please. I was going to start a new thread, but I will ask my question here.

Do you think that The Beatles are really that talented, or did the social upheaval in the sixties contribute greatly to their success?

Maybe I should start a new thread for this? :unsure:

Edited by Lorraine

I may have asked this question before, so bear with me please. I was going to start a new thread, but I will ask my question here.

Do you think that The Beatles are really that talented, or did the social upheaval in the sixties contribute greatly to their success?

I wasn't born yet, but when the Beatles broke big they seemed to be the escape from the social upheaval in the sixites. In the United States, the mood was down in the aftermath of the Kennedy assassination and the Beatles phenomenon was an elixir. The timing was right and the talent was there to back it up. As the decade went on, the Beatles proved their critics wrong. Watch A Hard Day's Night - they are talented.

The Beatles are amazing.

No band comes close. Sure, I love other bands more than them due to personal taste, but the songs, the melodies...The Beatles are magic, and always will be.

Of all the bands that could take the medal for biggest album sales in history, The Beatles are the only band I see as deserving. Read any of the books regarding their work in the studio: they were dedicated, and very open minded. Sure, other bands/artists were as well, but something about The Beatles...just magic.

No band comes close. More than any other band, they seem to unite fans of all tastes and backgrounds.

• Like 1

The beatles are amazing.......i just got done with a 9 year break. And at that time i never wanted to hear another record from them again. and it's during that time that i convinced myself they were overrated. it bordered on an unreasonable hatred and resentment. Silly i know but it happened that way. but coming back they are My fav band.

Sorry to.

Rush

Floyd

Toto

Dream Theater

Yes

Genesis

Steely Dan

And any other band i can think of.

The Beatles are it.

They created my fav Album.......the White album which is to me one of the greatest achievements in popular music.

Thank you to the fab four.

Mick

The beatles are amazing.......i just got done with a 9 year break. And at that time i never wanted to hear another record from them again. and it's during that time that i convinced myself they were overrated. it bordered on an unreasonable hatred and resentment. Silly i know but it happened that way. but coming back they are My fav band.

Sorry to.

Rush

Floyd

Toto

Dream Theater

Yes

Genesis

Steely Dan

And any other band i can think of.

The Beatles are it.

They created my fav Album.......the White album which is to me one of the greatest achievements in popular music.

Thank you to the fab four.

Mick

I love that the White Album is all over the place, yet perfectly paced. It ebbs and flows between commerical appeal and the musical fringes of the time. It's mainstream, it's pop. It's grunge. It's country. It's blues. It's weird. It's corny. It's demanding. It's trivial. And all of it is wrapped in wonderful melodies. One moment you want to bang your head against the wall, the next moment you're tapping your foot. One moment you're contemplating philosophy, the next you feel like a kid again.

The Beatles were unraveling and they made an unraveled album that sounds perfectly connected.

Edited by ReRushed
  • Like 2