• VAN HALEN II
    • WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST
    • FAIR WARNING
    • DIVER DOWN
    • OU812
    • F.U.C.K.
    • BALANCE
    • VAN HALEN III

QUOTE (rushman14 @ Mar 27 2007, 03:19 PM)
I'm definitely a fan of the Roth era and feel they peaked with Fair Warning. It might not have been the biggest commercial success but it has the most raw power of any VH record.

Weigh in.

Great poll 14!

"FAIR WARNING" IS IT!!!!!

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

The first 2 were classic ROCKIN LP's.

5150 was really good too....

I voted 5150.

EVH is/always will be top notch..

probably in the top 5 category all-time,imo.

Edited by go2wrk@95974

I love VH 1 the best. To me, each album was a steady decline from the first to 1984, with a slight turn upward on "Fair Warning", then back to the decline.

But they are all great, I love 'em all. In fact, I like every VH album I've ever heard (I've never heard VH III before).

I'll agree with the guys near the top of this thread and go with Fair Warning. Eddie's songwriting was at its most creative ("Sinner's Swing" is a masterpiece of syncopation, and shows just how good a rhythm section Alex and Michael were), the songs had just the right balance of seriousness and looseness, and Eddie's guitar sound is the finest heavy guitar tone ever put to tape, IMO.

Like with Black Sabbath (with Ozzy and Dio), I consider VH to have a Roth era, and a Hagar era, but its really two totally different bands. I like both, but I prefer the Roth era.

For me, Fair Warning is the best album by a mile. From the opening 2 hands on the fretboard of Mean Street to the closing of One Foot Out the Door, there is no down moment on that album. My least favorite of the Roth era is Diver Down, but The Full Bug is one of my favorite VH tunes. VH II is probably my second favorite, with VH, WACF and 1984 falling into place depending on my mood.

For the Hagar era, Balance is my least favorite. 5150, OU812, and Carnal are all about the same.

VH III is not good.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Aug 15 2011, 03:07 AM)
I'll agree with the guys near the top of this thread and go with Fair Warning. Eddie's songwriting was at its most creative ("Sinner's Swing" is a masterpiece of syncopation, and shows just how good a rhythm section Alex and Michael were), the songs had just the right balance of seriousness and looseness, and Eddie's guitar sound is the finest heavy guitar tone ever put to tape, IMO.

goodpost.gif

Can't pick a favorite since I don't own any, although my father owned "Diver Down" and I remember a tune on it called "Little Guitars"

In any event, of the songs I'm familiar with, I prefer the David Lee Roth era. I'd skip buying anything of the Hagar albums.