Post here when your My Effin Life book arrives and what you think after reading!

blueschica

6 hours ago, Rush Didact said:

I'm not finished the book yet, but the thing I've found most surprising so far is how many drugs there were in the Rush world.  I mean, it's been well-known and publicly acknowledged for a good 20 years now that the guys smoked a lot of weed, and Neil told the story of his teenaged acid trip in London a long time ago, but I'm surprised to find out how much coke they did in the late 70s and early 80s, to the point where Ged actually describes it as dependence.  I don't think that's ever been mentioned before now.

Lee says they were open to anything but speed and heroin.

• Like 2

On 11/14/2023 at 1:26 PM, Rush Didact said:

Since my copy is coming in December at the Toronto show, I opted for the audiobook rather than buying a second copy of the book.

Folks, the audiobook is so good.  This is actually the first audiobook I've ever listened to, but hearing Geddy tell these stories himself (I haven't gotten to the parts where Al shows up yet) is really special.  He's a great narrator, and I love the Yiddish accents he uses for his family members.  It really brings things to life.

I listened for an hour before work this morning and I can't wait to get back to it...

I’m listening to the audiobook too.

• Like 3

I’m in Chapter 3: The Holocaust Experience

His Mom saved his Dad by twisting her ankle.  

All of History is built on billions of particulars like this one.  Profoundly fascinating.  

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Rush Didact said:

I'm not finished the book yet, but the thing I've found most surprising so far is how many drugs there were in the Rush world.  I mean, it's been well-known and publicly acknowledged for a good 20 years now that the guys smoked a lot of weed, and Neil told the story of his teenaged acid trip in London a long time ago, but I'm surprised to find out how much coke they did in the late 70s and early 80s, to the point where Ged actually describes it as dependence.  I don't think that's ever been mentioned before now.

Yes, I was impressed he was so open about it.  A lot of people would figure it was over with and not worth mentioning.  I know Alex has talked about it but didn't know that about Geddy.

• Like 1

“MORRIS  CAMPS.

STARACHOWICE:

AUSCHWITZ

FIDSSEN BURG

LANDSBERG

BUCHEN WALD.

LEIPZIG

MAUTHAUSEN

This wAs dead March, For months.

until LIBERATED.

MAY 5. 1945,”

Excerpt From

My Effin' Life

Geddy Lee

This material may be protected by copyright.

Geddy’s father’s list of camps he was incarcerated in. Dead march means death march. :sad:

Edited by Tony R
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, Rush Didact said:

Me too. But I guess that’s a bit of naïveté on my part? I mean of course they were taking anything, being on the road so much. Their image was always of being “nice nerds” too - so maybe that crafted imagery influenced the way I looked at the band.

• Like 2

Are we going to hear new music from you and Alex? CygnusX5
Certainly, there will be new music from Alex and new music from me. Will there be new music from us together? I think it’s likely.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Rush Didact said:

??

He mentions not wanting to "fall into a bag of white powder" at the start of Ghost Rider, but I've never heard anything other than that...

I don’t know how far along you are in the book but the mention is subtle yet striking - to me anyway.

Oh my god... listening to Ged describe the VT mixing and mastering sessions made me want to rip my hair out.  It confirmed every dark suspicion I've always had: that these idiots (mastering engineers, not the guys in Rush) were deliberately trying to make each album louder than the last, totally aware of what they were doing.  Howie Weinberg was using f***ing LIMP BIZKIT as a reference point when mastering VT.  ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH. :blast:

• Like 1

I glanced at this topic, thank you Blueschica! But, but...

I don't want too many spoiler alerts. For once, and probably the first time, I am not ordering something fresh off the press. It really adds up and I have ordered a tonne of Rush stuff hot off the presses in the last few years. So I thought I would wait a bit for a price drop, but even typing this I feel like an ugly wart on the backside of a lonely frog in a wilderness swamp. Everything has been so positive from what I am reading, from different directions, I really want both the book and audio book. I love the tactile holding and seeing the photos but I also do a lot of road trips. I could listen to Geddy talk for hours - and I will!

This weekend I will poke around and make my orders :geddy:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bahamas said:

I glanced at this topic, thank you Blueschica! But, but...

I don't want too many spoiler alerts. For once, and probably the first time, I am not ordering something fresh off the press. It really adds up and I have ordered a tonne of Rush stuff hot off the presses in the last few years. So I thought I would wait a bit for a price drop, but even typing this I feel like an ugly wart on the backside of a lonely frog in a wilderness swamp. Everything has been so positive from what I am reading, from different directions, I really want both the book and audio book. I love the tactile holding and seeing the photos but I also do a lot of road trips. I could listen to Geddy talk for hours - and I will!

This weekend I will poke around and make my orders :geddy:

I get where you are coming from, it seems like I have ended up with extra stuff over the years from this habit! I get stuff  "fresh off the press" as you say, and then one of my sisters thinks later on it would be a great gift for me! :biggrin: (they have pretty busy lives) so I end up with another copy or cd. Grateful but trying to get rid of extras these days.

• Like 1

I've just signed up to Amazon Audible and downloaded the book.

I'm new to this 'audible' lark so it's a bit newly fangled having the book read aloud to me, although it is so cool that it is Geddy doing the reading!

I am however keeping the physical copy at hand so that the pictures are sync-ing up to what I am listening to.

So far, (Chapters I & II), I am finding it at times humourous but also very moving. I love the way Geddy reads it - really brings it to life for me.

• Like 5

On 11/15/2023 at 11:22 PM, Principled Man said:

I’m in Chapter 3: The Holocaust Experience

His Mom saved his Dad by twisting her ankle.  

All of History is built on billions of particulars like this one.  Profoundly fascinating.  

Oh, man…..that chapter was something else.  All those little events, the secret acts of kindness by German soldiers, the chance meetings with people who know where your loved ones are…..it’s no wonder people like to say that “Life is a Miracle”.  

• Like 3

Great book! I whipped right through it, even thought it was 500+ pages. In fact, I thought it seemed a little rushed at times. (No pun intended!)

Geddy did say that the editors chopped out a lot, maybe there will be an "expanded edition" in the future. 

Also, it was neat that Geddy mentioned many of his musical influences. For example: 

Edited by antiquark
  • Like 2