Bands that Don’t Exist Anymore Even If They’re Touring Now

JohnRogers

1 minute ago, Rick N. Backer said:

Van Halen was better with DLR.  After that?  I would have to say it’s them.

Did you know Chicago actually publicly flaunts the title of America’s greatest band?

I love Chicago, but like, I don’t see it lol.

10 minutes ago, Rick N. Backer said:

Van Halen was better with DLR.  After that?  I would have to say it’s them.

I was fully into Aerosmith in their early days, but I would put several bands above them.  Van Halen, Steely Dan, The Doors, The Black Crowes, The Eagles, The Allman Brothers Band, Creedence Clearwater Revival, and maybe a few more.      

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

As long as Halford is still there it’s still gonna be Priest, not to mention Ian. And it’s not like Glenn has ever officially left the band, he’s just incapable of participating much anymore.

2 replacement guitarists...  I disagree.  What happens if Glenn dies tomorrow? Does that change the formula and the 'validity' of the band at all? If so, why? Or why not?

I think even with Rom and Ian, they are still a cover band at this point.

When should they hang it up? Really, at what point does someone else thing they become 'invalid as a band'. And why?

14 hours ago, grep said:

2 replacement guitarists...  I disagree.  What happens if Glenn dies tomorrow? Does that change the formula and the 'validity' of the band at all? If so, why? Or why not?

I think even with Rom and Ian, they are still a cover band at this point.

When should they hang it up? Really, at what point does someone else thing they become 'invalid as a band'. And why?

It won’t change when Glenn passes. Everyone knows how vital he has been to the band since the beginning, but he’s passed his reigns to Faulkner (even though Faulkner was KK’s replacement technically). They’ll keep going until Halford can’t do it anymore.  I still hang on to Ian here. It’s his band really, he’s been in it consistently since the beginning. I’m sure nothing happens without his approval. If he leaves before Rob hangs it up, then I’ll probably agree with you.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo
  • Like 1

On 8/5/2023 at 10:47 PM, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Did you know Chicago actually publicly flaunts the title of America’s greatest band?

I love Chicago, but like, I don’t see it lol.

IMO the best American band of all time is The Doors.

I don't think Aerosmith was even the best band to come from Boston (that award goes to a sextet that also put out their first album in the '70s).

8 minutes ago, 78jazz said:

IMO the best American band of all time is The Doors.

I don't think Aerosmith was even the best band to come from Boston (that award goes to a sextet that also put out their first album in the '70s).

What is: The Cars?

9 minutes ago, Rick N. Backer said:

The Cars only had 5 members.

Dang it you’re right. It’s not Boston, is it?

King Crimson.  They haven't released new music in ages, but have toured extensively.

Some would say Alice In Chains, but I like the post-Layne band even if it's not exactly the same thing.  It's still good music.

2 minutes ago, stoopid said:

King Crimson.  They haven't released new music in ages, but have toured extensively.

Some would say Alice In Chains, but I like the post-Layne band even if it's not exactly the same thing.  It's still good music.

I've seen the latest form of KC and loved it. Unlike Yes, KC more revolves around one key micromanaging musician who hires a bunch of virtuosos to play with him so I've always forgiven their various lineup changes. Plus it allowed me to finally see Gavin Harrison.

1 hour ago, Union 5-3992 said:

I've seen the latest form of KC and loved it. Unlike Yes, KC more revolves around one key micromanaging musician who hires a bunch of virtuosos to play with him so I've always forgiven their various lineup changes. Plus it allowed me to finally see Gavin Harrison.

You're allowed to enjoy it, but they're a prog nostalgia act now.  With no new music in 20+ years, they're no longer creating artistic expression.

Moody Blues /John Lodge are probably an example, their new music is irrelevant and they're long past their peak as a live band.

38 minutes ago, stoopid said:

You're allowed to enjoy it, but they're a prog nostalgia act now.  With no new music in 20+ years, they're no longer creating artistic expression.

Moody Blues /John Lodge are probably an example, their new music is irrelevant and they're long past their peak as a live band.

True. The closest they've come to an original composition is a live improv or their "re-interpretation" of a classic song.

2 hours ago, Rick N. Backer said:

Also 5 I believe.

Well the only three bands I know for sure from Boston from the 70s are Aerosmith, The Cars, and Boston. Who else is there? 

25 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Well the only three bands I know for sure from Boston from the 70s are Aerosmith, The Cars, and Boston. Who else is there? 

John Cafferty the and the Beaver Brown Band?

17 minutes ago, Rick N. Backer said:

Rhode Island

I know.  Not 6 people either (maybe at some point there were.) I just wanted to type Beaver Brown Band.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Someone left out The J. Geils Band.

• Like 1