Good Bad Vocalists

ST3V

Vocalists that aren't conventionally good, maybe even conventionally bad, but who make their voice work well with the music that they play and the way they use their voice. 

A great example of this is Isaac Brock. Theres times where he's literally just screaming words but it compliments the music he writes so well that it appears to be good (whatever "good" even means). He's got a powerful voice, sometimes doing things I didnt even know the human voice could do.

2 minutes ago, Union 5-3992 said:

Dave Mustaine would sound even worse in any other band. But his crappy voice works fine in Megadeth. 

I had a gut feeling Dave would be one of the first posts here haha

UM.......tom waits.....obviously, lol

but also.

Dylan

leonard cohen.

Bruce Springsteen

Mark Knopfler

actually also 70's geddy Lee (come on now lol.......horrible technique but he made it work)

Mick

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

UM.......tom waits.....obviously, lol

but also.

Dylan

leonard cohen.

Bruce Springsteen

Mark Knopfler

actually also 70's geddy Lee (come on now lol.......horrible technique but he made it work)

Mick

was gonna mention Tom but figured nah, I'll let Mick have the honors lol. all the rest good choices, never really thought about Knopfler and Springsteen in this way but when i think about it, youre right. and theres no denying early Geddy, the master of shrieking 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ST3V said:

was gonna mention Tom but figured nah, I'll let Mick have the honors lol. all the rest good choices, never really thought about Knopfler and Springsteen in this way but when i think about it, youre right. and theres no denying early Geddy, the master of shrieking 

Springsteen skates by on character and flair but when you really hear how he's singing especially live.  i can't call him a good singer.

knopfler is a talk/singer but for what he writes it's perfect.

Mick

• Like 4

When you think about it A LOT of 70's rock singers fit this on the technical level.  Most didn't know or care about vocal preservation.  Partying, drinking.  that's why a lot sound like ass these days.  there are exceptions but most have shot their chords to hell.

Mick

• Like 1

Forgot one.

Donald Fegan (Steely Dan)

Can't really sing but he's captivating.

a weird combo of Dylan vocally and on Stage physically has the movements of Ray Charles.......no really watch his physicality.

Mick

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Union 5-3992 said:

Dave Mustaine would sound even worse in any other band. But his crappy voice works fine in Megadeth. 

That's who I first thought of. That voice fits perfectly in Megadeth but wouldn't anywhere else.

9 minutes ago, grep said:

James LaBrie

Hard disagree. James has a beautiful voice, he just struggles to preserve it.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, grep said:

James LaBrie

Definitely 

32 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

How is James LaBrie a bad vocalist?

he's not.  in my book.  he just has a hard time with consistency  at maintaining it.

This myth that's he's bad (and it IS a fantasy land)  needs to stop.

there's confusion here between bad and i don't like.

i hate geoff Tate's voice......but dude can sing.

Mick

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

How is James LaBrie a bad vocalist?

I wouldn't call him bad, but I've never really come around to him. His voice has always been the biggest barrier to me becoming a DT fan. I like his voice on some early songs, but to my ears it doesn't seem right for the music that's being played. 

Though I am a big fan of his performance be on The Human Equation by Ayreon. The music fits his voice better. 

3 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

he's not.  in my book.  he just has a hard time with consistency  at maintaining it.

This myth that's he's bad (and it IS a fantasy land)  needs to stop.

there's confusion here between bad and i don't like.

i hate geoff Tate's voice......but dude can sing.

Mick

I'll never call him bad, he's knocked it out of the park on a few occasions. But he's definitely an acquired taste. You either like it or you don't. I generally don't. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Union 5-3992 said:

I wouldn't call him bad, but I've never really come around to him. His voice has always been the biggest barrier to me becoming a DT fan. I like his voice on some early songs, but to my ears it doesn't seem right for the music that's being played. 

Though I am a big fan of his performance be on The Human Equation by Ayreon. The music fits his voice better. 

It's like he's trying to be an opera singer when he should just.... sing. It doesn't apply to every song/album/time period of DT, but there are songs where  I personally feel like he's just over-doing it.

Edited by jamie
  • Like 2

Most grunge singers, if we're bring real. It's part of the reason why I love grunge, though.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

Mark Knopfler

A top level talk-singer.  :biggrin:  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, The Analog Cub said:

Brian Johnson

….has never sung in any song he’s done.  He’s a screamer screecher.