Good Bad Vocalists

ST3V

3 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

Mine is Geoff Tate.  I respect him the guy could for sure sing his ass off.  BUT his tone and what he does with his voice is not my cup of tea.

Mick

Without going back, I think you mentioned Leonard Cohen.  My first exposure to him (that I remember) was hearing Everybody Knows at the beginning of Pump Up the Volume.  For some reason, it just resonated with me.  Later in the movie, Concrete Blonde's cover is played.  There's no question whose voice is technically better.  But I just prefer Cohen's.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluefox4000 said:

Stevie Nicks falls here too.  for the band she was in and what it required.  She's iconic.  but She's really not a great singer.

as evidance....today she sounds like a granny.  Granted some of that was the coke but it was also from screaming......and i mean veins popping screaming......Rhiannon in the 70's but hey some would say that was rock, lol

Meanwhile Dennis deyoung last i checked is near pristine cause he clearing took care of his instrument.

Mick

The more I think about it, the more I agree with this.  I think I have a bias towards thinking famous female singers have superior technical ability (I'm thinking Ann Wilson, for example) but Stevie is really analogous to a lot of the male vocalists I love.  Good call.

Thing is, I get Tyler maybe not being a perfect vocalist.

But this thread is about singers we enjoy who are BAD

how is he bad?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

how is he bad?

i'm taking it from technical ability. Also all AROUND ability....maybe i'm taking this too literally, lol.  so tyler put him in any other world besides what he does  (and he does it well)  he'll sink.

now Geoff tate the way he sings.  he could do different genres.  he could float all over the place.  he in his prime do 8 shows a week on broadway and not blink an eye. Deyoung could (and has) done this....so he's anoher good example.

Now tyler is a good rock singer but all around vocalist........no dude.

This all sounded better in my head, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Rick N. Backer said:

The more I think about it, the more I agree with this.  I think I have a bias towards thinking famous female singers have superior technical ability (I'm thinking Ann Wilson, for example) but Stevie is really analogous to a lot of the male vocalists I love.  Good call.

Ann Wilson is a great GREAT singer you may not like her sound but she can GO.

Mick

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Rick N. Backer said:

Without going back, I think you mentioned Leonard Cohen.  My first exposure to him (that I remember) was hearing Everybody Knows at the beginning of Pump Up the Volume.  For some reason, it just resonated with me.  Later in the movie, Concrete Blonde's cover is played.  There's no question whose voice is technically better.  But I just prefer Cohen's.

this brings to mind a different way of looking at it.  Sometimes technical ability saps personality (tate for me) but A voice that is not that sound (Sprinsteen, Knopler, Cohen, Tyler)  has way more coloring and shade.

just a more positive spin here to avoid being to down on some of things guys

Mick

• Like 1

this brings to mind a different way of looking at it.  Sometimes technical ability saps personality (tate for me) but A voice that is not that sound (Sprinsteen, Knopler, Cohen, Tyler)  has way more coloring and shade.

just a more positive spin here to avoid being to down on some of things guys

Mick

I think you're right.  Here's another related point IMO.  Joe Perry is not as technically skilled as, say, Vai or Malmsteen.  Yet I think Perry is exponentially better than either of them.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rick N. Backer said:

I think you're right.  Here's another related point IMO.  Joe Perry is not as technically skilled as, say, Vai or Malmsteen.  Yet I think Perry is exponentially better than either of them.

i feel that way about stevie ray Vaugn.  His speed and technical ablity. watching the guy was jaw dropping.  Almost unmatched.  But i get more feel for someone like David Gilmour who was not a shreder or technical master but his emotion gets me.

Mick

• Like 2

i feel that way about stevie ray Vaugn.  His speed and technical ablity. watching the guy was jaw dropping.  Almost unmatched.  But i get more feel for someone like David Gilmour who was not a shreder or technical master but his emotion gets me.

Mick

Compare:

with:

Who brings the song to life better?

3 minutes ago, Rick N. Backer said:

Compare:

with:

Who brings the song to life better?

Again Dio (who i love BTW)  clinical here but i see your point.  we know tyler who was shading this with vocal tics and the iconic Dream on's at the end while not "correct" is better.

Mick

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rick N. Backer said:

Keith Richards is another one.  True, he's not the Stones' lead vocalist, but he does sing lead on some of their songs, and on his solo projects.  Not much technical skill, but it works for me.

it's odd some of keith's vocals reminds me of Mark Knopler, lol.

When i did a stones run years back.  every time a Keith vocal would pop up.  i perked up.  it was nice to have a voice not be Jagger every now and then.

Mick

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

it's odd some of keith's vocals reminds me of Mark Knopler, lol.

When i did a stones run years back.  every time a Keith vocal would pop up.  i perked up.  it was nice to have a voice not be Jagger every now and then.

Mick

If you've never heard it, I recommend his live album at the Palladium with the X-Pensive Winos.  Good, no frills rock album.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rick N. Backer said:

No he isn’t.  He’s a fantastic rock vocalist though.

Hard disagree. The man is a natural born singer. Sure his voice is especially hardwired for rock, blues, and country, but that doesn’t make him a bad singer.

• Like 1

Just now, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Hard disagree. The man is a natural born singer. Sure his voice is especially hardwired for rock, blues, and country, but that doesn’t make him a bad singer.

Listen to him do the national anthem at Fenway Park and get back to me.  90%+ of the people who go deep on American Idol are technically superior singers.  Not one of them will EVER eclipse his success because he has IT.  Go to your local community theater and catch a musical and you'll find better technical singers.

I yield to no one in my love of Aerosmith up to and including Pump.  I've seen them 4 or 5 times, including last summer.  I own everything they've ever released.  But Tyler is not a good singer in my ears.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Segue Myles said:

how is he bad?

Yeah I just don’t get it. He has character, range, dynamics, a breadth of emotions, he stays in tune, and has some pretty difficult runs and can even scat convincingly. He’s a consummate singer. One of my absolutely favorites actually.

As for technique, look the man by no rights should still have his voice the way he used and abused his volume and power for years, but he basically still does so… that’s gotta count for something.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rick N. Backer said:

Listen to him do the national anthem at Fenway Park and get back to me.  90%+ of the people who go deep on American Idol are technically superior singers.  Not one of them will EVER eclipse his success because he has IT.  Go to your local community theater and catch a musical and you'll find better technical singers.

I yield to no one in my love of Aerosmith up to and including Pump.  I've seen them 4 or 5 times, including last summer.  I own everything they've ever released.  But Tyler is not a good singer in my ears.

I just did, and I thought he sounded epic. Just a touch pitchy in the first line or so while he got his feet under him.

1 minute ago, bluefox4000 said:

i guess we all agree to disagree here.

all i know if tyler did Theater.  he'd be done 20 minutes in they'd have to call in his understudy.

Mick

I mean if Broadway is the bar to pass for being a good singer, I think we’ll find ourselves very short staffed in that department.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I mean if Broadway is the bar to pass for being a good singer, I think we’ll find ourselves very short staffed in that department.

it's not the bar.  you think tyler can do opera?  Rnb?  like patti labelle luther vandross Rnb?

Again.  he's GREAT a legend in his feild for a reason.  but an A class singer?

we disagree.

• Like 1

it's not the bar.  you think tyler can do opera?  Rnb?  like patti labelle luther vandross Rnb?

Again.  he's GREAT a legend in his feild for a reason.  but an A class singer?

we disagree.

I don’t think Johnny Cash can do those either, and I think he’s a grade a singer.

1 minute ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I don’t think Johnny Cash can do those either, and I think he’s a grade a singer.

look i think i'm just answering this question differently from what i thought was the point, lol

it's ok.

no one is saying tyler sucks BTW.:thumbsup:

Mick

• Like 2

look i think i'm just answering this question differently from what i thought was the point, lol

it's ok.

no one is saying tyler sucks BTW.:thumbsup:

Mick

Lol I know that, but I like getting defensive it’s fun! :blast:

• Haha 1