Good Bad Vocalists

ST3V

1 hour ago, bluefox4000 said:

look i think i'm just answering this question differently from what i thought was the point, lol

it's ok.

no one is saying tyler sucks BTW.:thumbsup:

Mick

Indeed.  I'm moving Heaven and Earth to get tickets to the last Garden show later this year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I just did, and I thought he sounded epic. Just a touch pitchy in the first line or so while he got his feet under him.

IIRC, you're a Notre Dame guy, right?  Don't know if they have students sing the anthem before football games, but if they do, chances are the kid singing it has a better technical voice than Tyler.

Tyler wasn't "getting his feet under him," in 2004.  The anthem just isn't the same as Coney Island Whitefish Boy.

5 minutes ago, Rick N. Backer said:

IIRC, you're a Notre Dame guy, right?  Don't know if they have students sing the anthem before football games, but if they do, chances are the kid singing it has a better technical voice than Tyler.

Tyler wasn't "getting his feet under him," in 2004.  The anthem just isn't the same as Coney Island Whitefish Boy.

No, the band plays the anthem before games, meaning I’ve played it on sax dozens of times. I’m also a singer, and no the average person cannot sing the national anthem better than Tyler, or very well at all in the correct octave. It’s a very difficult piece to sing. I certainly can’t do it.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo

2 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

No, the band plays the anthem before games, meaning I’ve played it on sax dozens of times. I’m also a singer, and no the average person cannot sing the national anthem better than Tyler, or very well at all in the correct octave. It’s a very difficult piece to sing. I certainly can’t do it.

Tyler isn't the average person.  He's almost unfathomably successful because he is the lead "singer," of a very famous band.  You're sort of making my point for me.  The girl playing Little Orphan Annie in your town's theater has a better technical voice.  If I were theoretically capable of singing the anthem EXACTLY like Tyler did, and he did not exist (so we don't get wrapped around the axles on the concept of a cover band singer), no team would allow me to sing the anthem before a game. 

We're just not going to agree here.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rick N. Backer said:

Tyler isn't the average person.  He's almost unfathomably successful because he is the lead "singer," of a very famous band.  You're sort of making my point for me.  The girl playing Little Orphan Annie in your town's theater has a better technical voice.  If I were theoretically capable of singing the anthem EXACTLY like Tyler did, and he did not exist (so we don't get wrapped around the axles on the concept of a cover band singer), no team would allow me to sing the anthem before a game. 

We're just not going to agree here.

He sang it well. You’re right about one thing, we’re not going to agree.

18 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Yeah I just don’t get it. He has character, range, dynamics, a breadth of emotions, he stays in tune, and has some pretty difficult runs and can even scat convincingly. He’s a consummate singer. One of my absolutely favorites actually.

As for technique, look the man by no rights should still have his voice the way he used and abused his volume and power for years, but he basically still does so… that’s gotta count for something.

Yeah absolutely agree.

Honestly I think he's one of the most gifted singers in the entire genre.

All this nitpicking seems ridiculous, considering we have legit bad vocalists like Springsteen, Nicks and others mentioned.

Picking Tyler as a bad vocalist is such a reach I can't even fathom it.

"He's no Mercury", erm...I disagree. I'd put the two of them right at the top of the spectrum of great, gifted vocalists.

When I think of "bad vocalists", I think of limited, poor singers like Madonna or Ed Sheeran or Kylie Minogue. Throw in Springsteen, Stevie Nicks, even The Beatles or Bowie.

Charm goes a long way to elevate limited singers.

But no f***ing way is Tyler limited or remotely "bad".

Dream On alone says it all.

As for not being able to sing the national anthem, who gives a shit? I've heard trained opera singers completely fumble simple pop songs.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Rick N. Backer said:

The Beatles?:rofl1:

who knew that Steven Fukkin' tyler is the line you DO NOT CROSS for so many:rofl1: (well at least two people, lol)

No further comment on him as i've said all i can say.

Mick

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Rick N. Backer said:

Keith Richards is another one.  True, he's not the Stones' lead vocalist, but he does sing lead on some of their songs, and on his solo projects.  Not much technical skill, but it works for me.

Growing up, my dad always friggen hated Keef songs due to his voice haha. But I think he has a good voice for the style of music he plays. Definitely an acquired taste though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

Yeah absolutely agree.

Honestly I think he's one of the most gifted singers in the entire genre.

All this nitpicking seems ridiculous, considering we have legit bad vocalists like Springsteen, Nicks and others mentioned.

Picking Tyler as a bad vocalist is such a reach I can't even fathom it.

"He's no Mercury", erm...I disagree. I'd put the two of them right at the top of the spectrum of great, gifted vocalists.

When I think of "bad vocalists", I think of limited, poor singers like Madonna or Ed Sheeran or Kylie Minogue. Throw in Springsteen, Stevie Nicks, even The Beatles or Bowie.

Charm goes a long way to elevate limited singers.

But no f***ing way is Tyler limited or remotely "bad".

Dream On alone says it all.

As for not being able to sing the national anthem, who gives a shit? I've heard trained opera singers completely fumble simple pop songs.

I don’t totally agree with all your picks for bad vocalists here, but I would definitely put Tyler above all of them. And yes, perfect point about opera singers and pop songs. Like, I don’t want to hear Josh Groban try to sing Stray Cat Blues, does that make him a bad singer?

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo

5 hours ago, Rick N. Backer said:

The Beatles?:rofl1:

Your bias is showing. They are average singers with limited range.

5 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I don’t totally agree with all your picks for bad vocalists here, but I would definitely put Tyler above all of them. And yes, perfect point about opera singers and pop songs. Like, I don’t want to hear Josh Groban try to sing Stray Cat Blues, does that make him a bad singer?

You'd put him above McCartney, huh?  McCartney sings lead on My Love and Helter Skelter.  They're both great tunes.  Because he has a PHENOMENAL singing voice with INCREDIBLE range.

As Mick pointed out, no one has suggested Tyler stinks.  When I was in middle school, our music teacher played a recording of Dream On with the vocal track isolated and without the studio effects.  I wish I could find it.  It's not pretty.  But Tyler doesn't need to have Whitney Houston's or Mariah Carey's or even Chris Cornell's pipes to be great at what he does.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Union 5-3992 said:

Growing up, my dad always friggen hated Keef songs due to his voice haha. But I think he has a good voice for the style of music he plays. Definitely an acquired taste though.

I wouldn't want to listen to just him on his acoustic singing Yesterday or Blackbird.  But on Happy or Before They Make Me Run?  He's perfect.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Segue Myles said:

Your bias is showing. They are average singers with limited range.

ok now your just fukkin' around......paul mccartney???????? limited????????????  your silly is showing.

Mick

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Rick N. Backer said:

Yeah.  Once you realize you're not speaking the same language, I think it's time to wrap it up.

and your just saying basically Paul Mccartney is a good BAD vocalist.

oh i got one how bout Steve Perry? Such a great bad vocalist!!!!!!! "face palm"

Sammy Hagar?

Ann Wilson?

:banghead:

SOME FOLKS JUST SAY SHIT, LOL

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Rick N. Backer said:

You'd put him above McCartney, huh?  McCartney sings lead on My Love and Helter Skelter.  They're both great tunes.  Because he has a PHENOMENAL singing voice with INCREDIBLE range.

As Mick pointed out, no one has suggested Tyler stinks.  When I was in middle school, our music teacher played a recording of Dream On with the vocal track isolated and without the studio effects.  I wish I could find it.  It's not pretty.  But Tyler doesn't need to have Whitney Houston's or Mariah Carey's or even Chris Cornell's pipes to be great at what he does.

I think McCartney is also a grade A vocalist and I can see anyone’s opinion going either way on the two of them. For me his showpieces are Maybe I’m Amazed and Oh! Darling. Personally, I like Tyler a hair more, and I don’t chalk that matchup up to anything more than personal preference. 

5 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

ok now your just fukkin' around......paul mccartney???????? limited????????????  your silly is showing.

Mick

I do agree with Mick and Rick here.

• Like 1

Here’s my final position, just for clarity. The thread is about good bad vocalists, which is a decisively vague and subjective topic. I would put Steven Tyler and Paul McCartney both down as good good vocalists. I would put Dave Mustaine down as a good bad vocalist. I would put the Greta Van Fleet guy down as a bad good vocalist. And I would put whoever sings the woman’s part in Don’t You Want Me by The Human League down as a bad bad vocalist.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I do agree with Mick and Rick here.

YAY EP!!!! we got one:laugh::thumbsup:

Don't know what Segue is smokin' but judging by his mccartney view......i don't want to try some:thumbsdown:

i mean he says a lot of inciting things but this one........WHAT?????????? WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAT???????????

LOL

Mick

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Was listening to his Fillmore tapes over the weekend and thought that Tom Petty fits the bill. He doesn't have a great voice but it really suites his music. It's hard to imagine anyone else singing his songs. Even when Johnny Cash covered I Won't Back Down, it just sounded off.  

Edited by Union 5-3992