Grace Under Pressure 40th boxed set?

caskof43

On 7/19/2023 at 7:47 PM, invisible airwave said:

How about some real extra features unlike Signals 40.  This is your chance to redeem yourselves, Universal/Mercury.  Two more after this before the Atlantic era.

Don't bother with Presto, Warner.

I'll be the one Rush fan that buys a Presto 40th box set........

• Like 4

2 hours ago, 78jazz said:

Depending on the contents, I would buy it too.

I'll buy anything that's produced. Assuming of course that the release does not suck.

• Like 1

At this point I suspect that a P/G 40 will be eclipsed by a First Record 50....   Though I have no idea how they could possibly provide anything new for Rush that wasn't there a decade ago.

2 hours ago, grep said:

At this point I suspect that a P/G 40 will be eclipsed by a First Record 50....   Though I have no idea how they could possibly provide anything new for Rush that wasn't there a decade ago.

I’m really hoping for the 40th box sets to continue so I’ll just be greedy and hope for a GUP box AND some kind of 50th anniversary product.

Technically, there is a TON of stuff surrounding that first album that hasn’t been officially released. Not to mention that the 40th box for the first album was vinyl only. 

I’m not saying that any of this is realistic or likely but my gosh, there are three full radio broadcasts of 1974 shows alone, plus the Laura Secord show, plus the Don Kirshner three songs, plus the first two singles that have never been rereleased on CD, plus the alternate version of Working Man with the different mix and solo, plus the ABC In Concert show which, although the video hasn’t surfaced, the audio for at least one song has. So that’s in addition to anything else they may have that’s never surfaced.

• Like 5

This next year will be very informative I think for people who still want to see more stuff come out. If the box sets continue then we could and should still get more unreleased live audio and possibly video from those later album tours going forward, but in my opinion the 50th anniversary is a "now or never" opportunity for ever getting more or better ESL footage, or the 1979 Hammersmith Odeon concert video/album, or any other remaining older live audio or video. With those older era boxes already passed I just can't see them ever doing it if it's not for the 50th. 

I would kill for a R50 package like the R40 package that had the Laura Secord show and Lock and Key and the 1997 footage and more but with any remaining stuff they can find. 

• Like 4

The problem is that there's no one on the inside with a fan-like enthusiasm, the only logic is maximum revenue for minimum input.  Rush is purely a business now; Neil's gone and Ged and Al have no interest in dealing with archival stuff.

They could remaster ESL and ASOH from the original negatives and do kickass bluray releases of the entire concerts, but they won't do that because it's expensive and time-consuming, and their profit margins will be slimmer than just re-releasing the ancient video transfers.

They could release the 1997 Toronto concert, synchronization issues are easily fixed in this day and age and the video could be upscaled nicely, but they won't do it because they'd have to pay someone to fix it.

Instead we get box sets with toy cars and backstage passes that are cheap to manufacture and take virtually no effort from anyone.

Keep your expectations low and you won't be disappointed...

• Like 7

Ged and Al touring will not suck.  And I've already advised my wife that some money may be spent on final Rush shows.  She gets it.  See you motherfrackers at Stout in NYC (for MSG)... or someplace closer to RCMH perhaps.  Depending. 

I'm not so sure about P/G 40.   I don''t want it to suck...but after SIG 40, who the f**k knows?

Edited by grep